Scholarship Negotiation: How? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bmathers

Silver

Scholarship Negotiation: How?

Post by bmathers » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:52 pm

I haven't heard back from all of my schools yet, but I have heard back from 2 similarly "ranked" schools -- one in the eastern part of PA and the other in NJ (not the same state, but located within a few hours of each other).

The school in PA has better medians, but the NJ one has a better employment %. The PA school has offered me a full-tuition ship with no stips. The NJ school offered me (what comes out to) a 33% ship along with a pretty stringent stip.

I would just withdraw my application to the NJ school, when comparing the 2 offers (they aren't even close). However, I want to negotiate and see if I can get a comparable ship from the NJ school, and put it back onto my radar.

Is raising a ship by 60% and removing stips just entirely way too much to even ask for? How would you go about negotiating this/What would you say?

Thanks!

bretby

Bronze

Re: Scholarship Negotiation: How?

Post by bretby » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:22 am

bmathers wrote:I haven't heard back from all of my schools yet, but I have heard back from 2 similarly "ranked" schools -- one in the eastern part of PA and the other in NJ (not the same state, but located within a few hours of each other).

The school in PA has better medians, but the NJ one has a better employment %. The PA school has offered me a full-tuition ship with no stips. The NJ school offered me (what comes out to) a 33% ship along with a pretty stringent stip.

I would just withdraw my application to the NJ school, when comparing the 2 offers (they aren't even close). However, I want to negotiate and see if I can get a comparable ship from the NJ school, and put it back onto my radar.

Is raising a ship by 60% and removing stips just entirely way too much to even ask for? How would you go about negotiating this/What would you say?

Thanks!
I would be extremely cautious of any school that attached stipulations to a scholarship. As far as medians vs. employment numbers, the latter is really the only thing that matters. It might be too much to get a full scholarship from a 1/3 scholarship, but I would certainly ask that stipulations be removed, and then ask for no less than you would feel comfortable paying.

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:52 am

bmathers wrote:I haven't heard back from all of my schools yet, but I have heard back from 2 similarly "ranked" schools -- one in the eastern part of PA and the other in NJ (not the same state, but located within a few hours of each other).

Thanks!
Just say what you said here. Tell them to give you full freight with no strips or you walk. There's literally no downside since you're prepared to not go anyway.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks all. I guess it can't hurt, since I would just withdraw my app with no change anyway. I just want to make sure that I am doing it correctly, to stand the best chance of having a successful negotiation.

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Thanks!
With your 162/3.7, make Nova and Temple race to a full scholly. Both will give you a 15% shot at practicing in Philly. Rutgers also has some ties but worse big law opportunity (<10%). If you prefer NYC though, go to Seton Hall.

smow4029

New

Post by smow4029 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Posting this here since it's at the top of this sub so it may get seen quicker. Question about negotiating that I haven't seen a specific answer to yet (I've only searched through a few pages so far).

I got into similarly ranked T1 schools, generally of the same region (Midwest). Some scholarship offers were better, but the ease of gaining in-state tuition at one school makes it much cheaper overall (provided residency happens as easy as they say) even with a lower scholly. I feel like that puts me in a tough position to negotiate. How would I go about trying to get some additional financial help?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”