DF Thread Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Desert Fox

Diamond

The drum beat begins

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:38 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

curry1

Silver

Re: The dumb beat beginnings

Post by curry1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:03 pm

angry boomers with pitchforks in the comments section who don't understand that there are real reasons people go to more expensive/prestigious schools (i.e. to have a chance at actually getting a job), not to brag at parties

AZ123

New

Post by AZ123 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:08 pm

curry1 wrote:

angry boomers with pitchforks in the comments section who don't understand that there are real reasons people go to more expensive/prestigious schools (i.e. to have a chance at actually getting a job), not to brag at parties

Seriously. The comments sections are always filled with stories of boomers saying they worked during college to pay for it, and act like millennials are just super lazy and don't work during school. Today, even working full time during school is not enough to pay for undergrad, let alone law school.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:16 pm

AZ123 wrote:
curry1 wrote:

Seriously. The comments sections are always filled with stories of boomers saying they worked during college to pay for it, and act like millennials are just super lazy and don't work during school. Today, even working full time during school is not enough to pay for undergrad, let alone law school.

just do pay 50k in tuition + 15-20 k in living expenses per year by working a part-time minimum wage job. Even many good in-state schools for UG like the UCs in-state cost of attendance is listed at ~35k a year, so ~150k over four years assuming you don't get screwed on registration. Also, many/most good jobs are effectively inaccessible to people who don't go to good/great schools, both at the UG and grad levels. https://www.admission.ucla.edu/prospect/budget.htm

cavalier1138

Re: The drum beat begins

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:14 pm

Back in my day, we created untenable financial crises for the following generation that we would subsequently blame on their perceived laziness. But do you hear us complaining?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:19 pm

Foxy's just jealous no one intends to forgive his $300+k debt (or whatever it's at by now).

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:20 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Foxy's just jealous no one intends to forgive his $300+k debt (or whatever it's at by now).
Mad jealous
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:55 pm

I'd be cool with making the school that received the money from the student the federal government lent to being put on the hook for the amount of forgiveness.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:10 pm

WSJ wrote:Growing evidence, however, suggests many of the most hard-pressed borrowers—college dropouts who owe less than $10,000—aren’t taking advantage of the programs and instead workers with graduate degrees, including some doctors and lawyers who don’t necessarily need the help, are.
Shots fired.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:13 pm

WSJ wrote:And some borrowers with graduate-school loans are refinancing their debt at lower interest rates with private lenders such as SoFi. Congress, through legislation, has set higher interest rates for grad students than undergrads to ensure the programs don’t lose money. When private lenders pick off those borrowers, the surpluses dwindle.
Future refiers might not even be safe.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
WSJ wrote:Growing evidence, however, suggests many of the most hard-pressed borrowers—college dropouts who owe less than $10,000—aren’t taking advantage of the programs and instead workers with graduate degrees, including some doctors and lawyers who don’t necessarily need the help, are.
Shots fired.

lol at conflating doctors and lawyers

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:35 pm

star fox wrote:I'd be cool with making the school that received the money from the student the federal government lent to being put on the hook for the amount of forgiveness.
schools have needed skin in the game forever, beyond stupid that we've allowed this incentive structure in higher ed

one of the primary lessons of the financial crash is that you can't let the people who originate loans dump off all the risk

NCGuy

Gold

Post by NCGuy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:43 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... 5691e119ff

It seems more of an attack on the Department of Education than the programs itself. This seems important:
Enzi said at the very least there needs to be greater transparency in the way education officials calculate costs, but his office said he is not calling for any major changes to the repayment plans at the moment.
I can't see a scenario where PAYE and PSLF goes away for current borrowers. Even Obama's PSLF cap only applied to new borrowers.
Last edited by NCGuy on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:56 am

bk1 wrote:
Shots fired.
Maybe WSJ needs to write a piece on why doctors and lawyers who would presumably not need the help actually seriously do :roll: lol

ConfusedL1

Bronze

Post by ConfusedL1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:18 pm

NCGuy wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/gra ... 5691e119ff

It seems more of an attack on the Department of Education than the programs itself. This seems important:
Enzi said at the very least there needs to be greater transparency in the way education officials calculate costs, but his office said he is not calling for any major changes to the repayment plans at the moment.
I can't see a scenario where PAYE and PSLF goes away for current borrowers. Even Obama's PSLF cap only applied to new borrowers.
Lol. "Even" Obama's plan??? That would be BEST case scenario not worst. We're in worst territory.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:22 pm

Because of Trump? He's actually proposed a better income-based plan.

NCGuy

Gold

Removed post...

Post by NCGuy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:43 pm

Removed post...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”