February LSAT to improve scholarships? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
airwrecka

Silver

February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Post by airwrecka » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:51 pm

I know that taking the February LSAT is too late for admission to most/all law schools (specifically the T14 where I'm planning to attend), but could I use a higher score from a Feb retake to get a better scholarship?

Right now I have a 170 which I know can get me in to a lot of good schools, but maybe not give me much by way of $$$ (especially near the top end of the spectrum). It's too late for me to register for the Dec test, but it's not too late for Feb.

All my apps are already in, and I've even received a few acceptances already. Would schools be willing to give me better scholarships if I had a Feb score, even if I had already been admitted? Or would it be more beneficial to let the cycle play out, retake in June, and then reapply altogether next cycle?

I would much prefer to take the Feb test and not have to wait another year, but I don't want to rush into it if schools won't even care about the new score anyway...

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Re: February LSAT to improve scholarships?

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:37 pm

airwrecka wrote:I know that taking the February LSAT is too late for admission to most/all law schools (specifically the T14 where I'm planning to attend), but could I use a higher score from a Feb retake to get a better scholarship?

Right now I have a 170 which I know can get me in to a lot of good schools, but maybe not give me much by way of $$$ (especially near the top end of the spectrum). It's too late for me to register for the Dec test, but it's not too late for Feb.

All my apps are already in, and I've even received a few acceptances already. Would schools be willing to give me better scholarships if I had a Feb score, even if I had already been admitted? Or would it be more beneficial to let the cycle play out, retake in June, and then reapply altogether next cycle?

I would much prefer to take the Feb test and not have to wait another year, but I don't want to rush into it if schools won't even care about the new score anyway...
Did you receive any $$$ from those schools that accepted you?

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:52 pm

schools will care. the only thing is that by the time you get your Feb results schools may be low on funds. whether or not you decide to go this cycle or not you could still take the Feb and see if schools offer you more money, and if they don't, you can use your Feb score for the next cycle.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:03 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:schools will care. the only thing is that by the time you get your Feb results schools may be low on funds. whether or not you decide to go this cycle or not you could still take the Feb and see if schools offer you more money, and if they don't, you can use your Feb score for the next cycle.
Yeah, I realized that after I thought about it more. But I think you're right--might as well try now, and then wait it out another year if I have to!

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 pm

pleasesendhelp wrote:
airwrecka wrote:I know that taking the February LSAT is too late for admission to most/all law schools (specifically the T14 where I'm planning to attend), but could I use a higher score from a Feb retake to get a better scholarship?

Not yet but just because they haven't sent the scholarships out for anyone (the two schools I've been accepted at are GULC--financial aid comes out in Feb/Mar--and Minnesota--financial aid coming in Dec)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:49 pm

airwrecka wrote:
pleasesendhelp wrote:

Not yet but just because they haven't sent the scholarships out for anyone (the two schools I've been accepted at are GULC--financial aid comes out in Feb/Mar--and Minnesota--financial aid coming in Dec)
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1#p9642521

If you check out this thread, the most recent post says you can 100% use your feb and even june retake to negotiate increase in scholarship offers.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:58 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

airwrecka

Silver

Post by airwrecka » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:17 pm

reopening the discussion on this thread to say that I have officially registered for the Feb test.

I've already been accepted to about half the schools I applied to (no dings or WLs yet--just waiting to hear back), and I've received $$$ from Minnesota and UMich (+ notification that I've been nominated for a full at Cornell but it's another application process).

Should I notify all the schools that I have been accepted to and those where my application is pending that I have a new LSAT score coming? would any schools who have already accepted me wait to decide schollys until they receive my Feb score? or should I just wait until I have the score in March, and contact all the schools then?

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:23 pm

airwrecka wrote:reopening the discussion on this thread to say that I have officially registered for the Feb test.

I've already been accepted to about half the schools I applied to (no dings or WLs yet--just waiting to hear back), and I've received $$$ from Minnesota and UMich (+ notification that I've been nominated for a full at Cornell but it's another application process).

Should I notify all the schools that I have been accepted to and those where my application is pending that I have a new LSAT score coming? would any schools who have already accepted me wait to decide schollys until they receive my Feb score? or should I just wait until I have the score in March, and contact all the schools then?
I'm in an extremely similar situation.

I don't know about schools which have already accepted you, but I know that most schools where you application is pending will wait till you have your Feb. LSAT score to assess your application (all of them are different though, so maybe consider shooting some e-mails out).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:29 pm

somedeadman wrote:
airwrecka wrote:reopening the discussion on this thread to say that I have officially registered for the Feb test.

I don't know about schools which have already accepted you, but I know that most schools where you application is pending will wait till you have your Feb. LSAT score to assess your application (all of them are different though, so maybe consider shooting some e-mails out).
I'm going to disagree on your "most schools will wait" point. A lot of schools in the top ten don't even take the Feb LSAT for admission or you need special permission to apply with it, and (at least according to the FAQs) the others often put the burden on the applicant to email admissions and ask for their file to be held pending that score if they have a future registration. My application is complete at every school I've applied to and I don't imagine they will hold it until almost March at this point.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:37 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:
somedeadman wrote:

I'm going to disagree on your "most schools will wait" point. A lot of schools in the top ten don't even take the Feb LSAT for admission or you need special permission to apply with it, and (at least according to the FAQs) the others often put the burden on the applicant to email admissions and ask for their file to be held pending that score if they have a future registration. My application is complete at every school I've applied to and I don't imagine they will hold it until almost March at this point.
That's fair. I really should not have said most schools will wait, considering I only asked 5 schools lmao.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:41 pm

Which schools did you ask?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

somedeadman

Bronze

Post by somedeadman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:10 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:Which schools did you ask?
USC, Texas, Duke, Northwestern, and UVA. Only Texas said they wouldn't pause the app.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”