Full Tuition Scholarships in the T14 Law Schools Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Yugihoe

Silver

Re: Full Tuition Scholarships in the T14 Law Schools

Post by Yugihoe » Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Is my understanding correct that if I apply in the Fall of 2013 for admission, the rubenstein will still be avaialable? That the fall 13 cycle would be the last year to receieve the scholarship? Or is this years cycle going to be the last?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed May 09, 2012 1:58 pm

CPAn00b wrote:Is my understanding correct that if I apply in the Fall of 2013 for admission, the rubenstein will still be avaialable? That the fall 13 cycle would be the last year to receieve the scholarship? Or is this years cycle going to be the last?
They should still be given out next year.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/alumni/maga ... rubenstein

Yugihoe

Silver

Post by Yugihoe » Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Thanks so much. Yes it looks like Class of 2016 will be last to get it so those applying next year october should be the last elegible group. This gives me more hope to delay my cycle to next year. I've been kind of bummed about doing so, but as of today, I'm just not ready for the June LSAT. (and can't make Oct due to other reasons).

soj

Platinum

Post by soj » Wed May 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Chicago didn't interview candidates for the Rubenstein this year. Recipients were notified by email at least a few weeks after admission without a separate application process.

Keep in mind that many T14 scholarships (especially named full tuition scholarships) have early or "exploding" deadlines. This year, the initial wave of Rubenstein recipients had to accept the scholarship by April 2, two days after the end of ASW. Many NYU named scholarship recipients had only a few days to accept the offer. Some scholarships didn't have an early deadline: the Hamilton at CLS had a regular May 1 deadline, and recipients were able to defer admission without losing the scholarship.

Because some schools might ask you to respond quickly, it's worth thinking about the decision ahead of time (difficult as it is since you won't want to get ahead of yourself) so you're not forced to make a rushed one.
Last edited by soj on Wed May 09, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Wed May 09, 2012 2:06 pm

CPAn00b wrote:Thanks so much. Yes it looks like Class of 2016 will be last to get it so those applying next year october should be the last elegible group. This gives me more hope to delay my cycle to next year. I've been kind of bummed about doing so, but as of today, I'm just not ready for the June LSAT. (and can't make Oct due to other reasons).
If I'm not mistaken, if you want to be eligible, you have to send in an app THIS FALL, to enroll in August 2013.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed May 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Redamon1 wrote:
CPAn00b wrote:Thanks so much. Yes it looks like Class of 2016 will be last to get it so those applying next year october should be the last elegible group. This gives me more hope to delay my cycle to next year. I've been kind of bummed about doing so, but as of today, I'm just not ready for the June LSAT. (and can't make Oct due to other reasons).
If I'm not mistaken, if you want to be eligible, you have to send in an app THIS FALL, to enroll in August 2013.
This. C/O 2016 is the 2012-2013 application cycle. You really need to take in June or October to be competitive.

ijmiddleton

New

Post by ijmiddleton » Wed May 09, 2012 2:27 pm

This is great, thanks a lot!

suzige

Bronze

Post by suzige » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:24 pm

tag

elee

New

Post by elee » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:52 pm

thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tonton

Bronze

Post by tonton » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:02 pm

tag

WhiteyCakes

Silver

Re: Full Tuition Scholarships in the T14

Post by WhiteyCakes » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Fresh wrote:
Anastasia Dee Dualla wrote:You've spelt AnBryce wrong...
Thanks, fixed!
Shooter wrote: Does anyone know what it takes to get one of these bad boys?
It really depends. Some scholarships seem to rely on stats (Columbia), while others seem to care a lot about softs (NYU). It's probably best to have both though ;) If there's enough interest I can make a list like THIS for non-URMs sometime soon, so there's some visibility of the #s for recipients of some of these

YES PLEASE!

Jaqen

Silver

Re: Full Tuition Scholarships in the T14

Post by Jaqen » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:03 am

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Fresh wrote:It really depends. Some scholarships seem to rely on stats (Columbia), while others seem to care a lot about softs (NYU). It's probably best to have both though ;) If there's enough interest I can make a list like THIS for non-URMs sometime soon, so there's some visibility of the #s for recipients of some of these

YES PLEASE!
+1

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:52 am

law_monkey wrote:Someone mentioned Cornell's Dean's Scholarship already, but here are a few more details. Select admitted students are invited to apply, and it requires an additional essay. IIRC they give up to 10 each year. Applicants are notified in early March on whether or not they will receive the scholarship.
So the Dean's Scholarship is a full ride (more or less)? If so, and if I didn't get an invitation to apply when I was admitted, is there a cap that anyone knows of with respect to scholarship amount they might offer? I looked on LSN but couldn't find a way to distinguish people who were invited to apply for the Dean's Scholarship and those who were just awarded merit aid unsolicited.

Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tonton

Bronze

Post by tonton » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:01 am

Does anyone know of people who have gotten the NYU public service scholarships? If yes, did these people draft the constitution of newly formed states...or things like that. Looking through the list of IILJ scholars on the NYU website, and I feel very very very tiny

griffin.811

Bronze

Post by griffin.811 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 am

tag

modernista

New

Post by modernista » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:41 pm

Fresh wrote:TLS’s consolidated list of significant scholarships at the T14. Given the cost of legal education and the economic downturn, this information might be useful!

Priority is given to discussion of full-tuition scholarships, but information for other options at schools that lack such offers is included.

Yale, Harvard, and Stanford all award scholarships/grants based on financial need, not merit. These schools offer varying amounts, but in general students at these schools will accrue over $100,000 in debt to attend for all three years. Some say that Stanford is more generous at the highest levels of need. Fortunately, these schools all offer generous Loan Repayment Assistance Programs (LRAP), making attendance viable regardless of specific career interests. Visit http://www.top-law-schools.com/tls-guide-to-lrap.html for more information.

Columbia
The Hamilton Fellowship offers generous full-tuition payment to accepted applicants, without requiring a separate application process. All individuals are considered upon acceptance, but the general consensus is that a Hamilton requires a GPA of 3.8+ and an LSAT around 174+. Notification comes with the initial decision letter.
Further information on scholarships at Columbia can be found at:
http://www.law.columbia.edu/current_stu ... ligibility

There are also full-tuition unnamed public interest scholarships available for a very select group of students. Columbia keeps these programs hidden, but recipients have worked in areas ranging from Sudanese refugee assistance to LGBT rights. Recipients are invited to interview during February and are notified of receipt during early March.

UChicago
Affectionately known on TLS as 'the Ruby', The Rubenstein Scholarship offers full-tuition for its recipients. David Rubenstein ’73 donated $10 million dollars to provide 20 scholarships for each of the next 3 years. While much is to be learned about this scholarship, it is known that the scholarship committee at UChicago deliberates on potential recipients after their first round of acceptances. Also, Dean Perry calls potential recipients for what some consider to be a "Why Chicago" phone interview. More at:
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/rubensteingift090810

New York University
NYU offers a plethora of scholarships (many full-rides) that can be applied for concurrently with the initial application process. Some of these include:

Root-Tilden-Kern – This scholarship provides full-tuition and approximately 20 are awarded per year. Recipients demonstrate a commitment to public service (approximately 10 years), and have to submit a 750 word public service essay and participate in an interview process at NYU. Filomen M. D’Agostino – This scholarship offers a full ride, and three are awarded per year for individuals committed to a wide range of public interest issues.
Furman Academic Scholarship – This scholarship is awarded to individuals with a commitment to academia, and recipients receive full tuition as well as a summer research grant. Application to this program requires a 250 word essay and an interview at NYU.
AnBryce Scholarships – For individuals that are among the first in their family to pursue a graduate degree, this scholarship offers full-tuition. Application requires a 500 word essay as well as an interview at NYU.

Further NYU scholarships can be found at:
http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/sch ... /index.htm

UPenn
Penn’s Levy Scholars Program offers full-tuition payment. Paul Levy ’72 funded this scholarship in 2002, and applicants are automatically considered for an invitation upon acceptance to Penn Law. Invitees are required to submit an essay to be considered for the program.
Further information available at:
http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd ... ogram.html

Berkeley
Theoretically, Berkeley Law offers every scholarship included on this list via their Matching Scholarship Program. Individuals can submit scholarship offers from schools ranging from Yale to Georgetown, and Berkeley will try to match the offers so students will be encouraged to attend. Information about this program can be found here:
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/6957.htm

Moreover, admits to Berkeley Law are considered for entrance scholarships and fellowships ranging in amounts from $12000 to $75000. Information about these additional scholarships can be found at:
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/9492.htm
Berkeley Law encourages students to seek out as much scholarship funding as possible to minimize borrowing.

Michigan
Known as the Darrow, Michigan’s generous scholarship awards recipients anywhere from half-tuition to full-tuition plus a stipend. Approximately 14 are awarded each year. Upon acceptance to Michigan Law, all individuals are considered for the program, and invitations are sent out to apply around December. Application requires a 500 word essay. Further information about Michigan’s scholarships can be found at:
http://www.law.umich.edu/prospectivestu ... holarships

Virgina
The Hardy Cross Dillard Scholarship is awarded to an exceptional member of the entering class based on, in addition to financial need, prior academic achievement, leadership, integrity, service to others, success in endeavors outside the classroom, and maturity. All applicants are considered for the scholarship; no separate application is required. Virginia is also known to provide generous dean’s scholarships in amounts up to full-tuition. More information at:
http://www.law.virginia.edu/home2002/ht ... awards.htm

Northwestern
Northwestern provides various scholarships for incoming students based on a combination of merit and financial need. Their offers are typically generous. More information can be found at:
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... id/grants/
A list of named scholarships at Northwestern can be found at:
http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... rships.xls

Cornell
Grants at Cornell range from $7000 - $35000 per year and are awarded to a substantial proportion (40%) of each incoming class based on a combination of need and merit. Moreover, Cornell has various named scholarships, which can be researched at:
http://www.lawschool.cornell.edu/alumni ... ps_a-f.cfm

Duke
Named for founding Dean of Duke Law School - Samuel Fox Mordecai - this foxy scholarship provides the selected Mordecai Scholars with full-tuition and fee payment. Each year, between 4 and 8 students matriculate under this program. No separate application is required, and all admits are considered upon acceptance. Invitees are expected to interview at the law school at a time of their convenience. The time line for the Mordecai is somewhat loose. More information regarding this program can be found at:
http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/mordecai

Georgetown
GULC isn’t known for its overly generous scholarship programs, and most scholarship offers are based on a combination of need and merit. It appears that individuals are considered for these scholarships upon acceptance to GULC. However, individuals may also apply for the Public Interest Law Scholars Program, which provides up to 1/3 tuition each year. Information can be found at:
http://www.law.georgetown.edu/pils/

Many of these schools also offer generous dean’s scholarships, which range in amounts. For data on URM recipients of scholarships, visit:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=140796

Please contribute useful information regarding these scholarships and others and I will be happy to add it to this main post.
This thread is SO awesome. However, would you have any updated info for the fall 2014 cycle?

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:32 am

Percentage of 2012 entering class who got full tuition scholarships (or more)

NYU 6.9
Harvard 6.8
UVA 5.8
Chicago 3.5
Duke 3.1
Michigan 2.7
Penn 2.6
Stanford 2.5
Columbia 1.9
Berkeley 1.4
Northwestern 0.6
Yale 0
Cornell 0
GULC 0

Edit: Source ABA Annual Guide
Last edited by Paul Campos on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:28 am

^ Source?

thewaves

Bronze

Post by thewaves » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Anyone know the GPA/LSAT floors for these scholarships typically? Looks like we already have Hamilton down!

FluffMonster

Gold

Post by FluffMonster » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:20 pm

I would love to know the LSAT/GPA of the recipients of Duke's Mordecai if anyone knows them.

paglababa

Silver

Post by paglababa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:41 am

Tag

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr.Zer0

Silver

Post by Dr.Zer0 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:42 pm

paglababa wrote:Tag

lawschoolgal90

New

Post by lawschoolgal90 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:30 am

I agree with many of the posts here. NYU is definitely the school with the most generous scholarships based on softs. Which makes their incoming class much more interesting.

rachelql

New

Post by rachelql » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:58 am

I was wondering if there are profiles for scholarship recipients. :lol:

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:34 am

Percent of entering class of 2014 at T-14s that got full tuition scholarships (or more), per 509 reports:

Chicago: 9.8
NYU: 7.3
UVA: 5.2
Penn: 4.8
UC-B: 2.6
Stanford: 2.5
Michigan: 2.4
Duke: 2.0
Harvard: 1.2
Columbia: 1.0
Northwestern: 0.6
GULC: 0.1