What is the best timing for negotiating scholarship $$? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
opus127

Bronze

What is the best timing for negotiating scholarship $$?

Post by opus127 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:53 am

I have been awarded full-tuition at a top-20, and have 2 T14 acceptances with no aid yet. I'm also still waiting to hear from the schools I'm most interested in attending, but I believe those schools won't announce scholarship decisions until months after sending admissions decisions.

At what point should I let higher-ranked schools know I would rather attend them, but will have to go with the full-tuition school unless they can offer me $$? Should I write them as soon as I am admitted, or wait until they have told me their offer?

Can anyone who applied in previous cycles share their experiences with similar negotiations?
Thanks!

Amelie

Silver

Re: What is the best timing for negotiating scholarship $$?

Post by Amelie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:00 am

I'm also wondering this. I have money at a T14 and don't know when I should contact other schools letting them know. I've heard that a second round of Darrow invites goes out in March, do I want to contact Michigan before that?

Return to “Financial Aid”