CLEO 2009 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
flik

New

Re: CLEO 2009

Post by flik » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:37 pm

are most of the people who have been accepted into CLEO already accepted into law school? if so, which schools?

rosieposie

New

Post by rosieposie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:42 pm

i'm in at: temple, u wisc, cardozo, tulane
w/l at: fordham, ohio, and brooklyn (withdrew)

edit to make up to date
Last edited by rosieposie on Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flik

New

Post by flik » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 pm

rosieposie wrote:i'm in at: temple, u wisc, and cardozo
w/l at: fordham, ohio, and brooklyn

do you know where you plan on going yet? are you riding out any of the waitlists?

and anyone else out there, mind saying where you have gotten in, or WL or what your situation is like at this point....

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:21 pm

wohoo, got in brooklyn today, PT, but at this point i think UCONN is a sure bet, sent my deposit already!

DST4MEEH

New

Post by DST4MEEH » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:03 pm

For all waitlisted students: Be sure to call the school, especially if it is a member school, and ask if they will nominate you. I have been accepted to numerous schools, but would like to participate in CLEO this summer. Thus I called a school where I was waitlisted to ask if they would nominate me, and they informed me that I had just missed the "Nomination Dealine" by 2 days.... I was like :shock: I was unaware that some schools had a formal nominating process, but seemingly some do. The diversity director said she would call CLEO for me to see if there is something that could be done. So, moral of the story: Be Proactive About It! and Good luck all!

flik

New

Post by flik » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:36 pm

all those of you accepted to CLEO, please share where you have been accepted....or what your status is like thus far....

bptbabegyrl

New

Post by bptbabegyrl » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:19 pm

Hey!

In:
Wisconsin
U TN
Richmond
American
Howard
Drexel- will withdraw
St. Louis- will withdraw
Oklahoma- will likely withdraw
Utah- will withdraw

WL:
Illinois
Ohio State
UVA
Washington & Lee
Maryland
Indiana- Bloomington

Good luck everyone!

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:46 pm

i haven't heard anything from CLEO yet, but i've been accepted at Cornell, BU, American, and U of Maryland. Still waiting on Georgetown....

macjags07

New

Post by macjags07 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:00 pm

I'm in at :
UMich
Northwestern
U of Maryland
Emory
Wash U
Villanova
Boston U
Boston College
Wake Forest
U of Illinois
U of Georgia
U of Southern California

Waitlisted at:

Georgetown
George Washington
Duke
UVA
Indiana U at Bloomington

I'll be at the Pittsburgh CLEO location

rosieposie

New

Post by rosieposie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:32 am

flik wrote: do you know where you plan on going yet? are you riding out any of the waitlists?

and anyone else out there, mind saying where you have gotten in, or WL or what your situation is like at this point....
nope, no idea. still waiting to hear from 9 schools. the process is draining. i just want to know whats going to happen.

anyone hear from a site director yet? i'd like to buy my ticket.

J Boogie

New

Post by J Boogie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:35 pm

It looks like I'm in! However, I can't do it since I've made up my mind and my acceptance to the school I'm going to is conditional on my completing their own summer program which conflicts with the summer institute dates...

What CLEO offered was that the member school I was waitlisted at MIGHT let me go this fall if I get top 25% at the summer institute. I would be guaranteed a spot in the fall 2010 class if space isn't available this year. It still doesn't make sense for me though. In addition to having to outperform 75% of you guys, I may still have to wait a year. Then I would have to move to where this school is and take out extra loans for rent and COL. And frankly, the school isn't quite worth it to me since it's not in Los Angeles which is where I am and where I intend to end up. So staying here and accepting the offer to the L.A. school seems more rational.

So anyway, that's how the process worked for me... anyone can message me if you have any more questions. Good luck to everyone and I hope it's a great experience! I certainly still wish I could do it. :D

rubena356

New

Post by rubena356 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:42 pm

Did you get a letter today about your admittance to the program? Also when did you submit your application?
Thanks
Rubena

J Boogie

New

Post by J Boogie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:12 am

Yep I got a letter that I had to fax back immediately telling me pretty much the same thing as the email... I sent in my application on December 19th

kimins

New

Post by kimins » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:14 am

J Boogie wrote:Yep I got a letter that I had to fax back immediately telling me pretty much the same thing as the email... I sent in my application on December 19th
I sent mine in on that date too...hopefully, this is a sign that I hear soon...man I hope so...I realllyyy wanna go, as you can see from my million posts on this thread...so did they send you a big or small envelope and how fast do you have to reply to their invitation?

bptbabegyrl

New

Post by bptbabegyrl » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:47 pm

they send you your response in one of the four envelopes that you sent in with your application. It is a little thicker as it holds the acceptance letter, a piece of paper that you have to fill out and fax letting them know whether or not you will be attending, and a 2 page copy of the cleo magazine article about the program. The ask that you fax in your response ASAP and then give you about 1.5 weeks to send in the $200 deposit. You then have a few weeks to get the other $1800 together. hope this helps!

DST4MEEH

New

Post by DST4MEEH » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:25 pm

KEEP TRYING! CLEO (well the dude who continuously answers) is kind-of rude over the phone

I applied first week of January. Was admitted today --only 2 days after I requested a school that waitlisted me, nominate for the program.

In case it helps, I am already committed to a T-10 school.

bezatru

New

Post by bezatru » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:39 pm

aint life funny, I got into CLEO and now I am trying very hard to come up with the rest of the money (which looks like I will not be able to do so and probably will have to end up withdrawing) and those that got the money for it are waiting on pins and needles to hear back that acceptance news from CLEO..ahhh life sure is full of ironies!!! lol
Last edited by bezatru on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bezatru

New

Post by bezatru » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:40 pm

Pinktort

New

Post by Pinktort » Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:40 am

Life is so funny because I applied in September 2008 :(... Still no word from Cleo or any MSSI either... Please somebody anybody, Can I get a little help here? :cry: ( cry of desperation)

raz3445

New

Post by raz3445 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:43 am

Well. Some people on here have awesome positions. I will be in Carbondale for CLEO and have only been accepted to one Tier 4 school. I am praying for SMU or the university of Houston to come through but will prob end up at St. Mary's or Texas Wesleyan. Maybe CLEO can help me, but i doubt it.

rosieposie

New

Post by rosieposie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:48 am

raz3445 wrote:Well. Some people on here have awesome positions. I will be in Carbondale for CLEO and have only been accepted to one Tier 4 school. I am praying for SMU or the university of Houston to come through but will prob end up at St. Mary's or Texas Wesleyan. Maybe CLEO can help me, but i doubt it.
maybe the skills you learn over the summer will help you to excel your first year and you may be able to transfer up?

rosieposie

New

Post by rosieposie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:51 am

DST4MEEH wrote:KEEP TRYING! CLEO (well the dude who continuously answers) is kind-of rude over the phone

I applied first week of January. Was admitted today --only 2 days after I requested a school that waitlisted me, nominate for the program.

yay! congrats! which location?

soshen

New

Post by soshen » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 pm

DST4MEEH wrote:KEEP TRYING! CLEO (well the dude who continuously answers) is kind-of rude over the phone

I thought it was just me!

spike

New

Post by spike » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Hey guys, I'm at Pitt this summer and looking forward to a rigorous six weeks! Just how certain is it that we'll get the full scholarship amount at the completion of the program? CLEO hasn't been very clear about this and I was wondering if anyone knew for certain. It'll sure go a long way to help pay these outrageous loan amounts!

bezatru

New

Post by bezatru » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:54 pm

Im in at Pitt too, so hopefully I will see you there if I amable to come up with the rest of the deposit money before the deadline. But I was wondering the same thing on the scholarship info too, it seems to be on the hush hush. Infact almost everything about what is going on is on the hush hush lol, I called in the other to talk to miss Williams, and I was told she does not take any calls from people accepted unless she emailed you and told you personally to call her lol, you can only email. I guess too many people calling and bugging her. But yea, I felt like I called the CIA headquarters by accident lol. And the Guy who answers the phone sounds pretty serious on the phone lol, he wasnt rude to me like some one mentioned above the tho..oh cleo cleo..the fun never stops :)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”