CLEO 2009 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
People's Eyebrow

New

Re: CLEO 2009

Post by People's Eyebrow » Mon May 04, 2009 3:14 pm

Does anyone know if we need a laptop for CLEO?

Thinking about buying one in early August rather than early June.

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Mon May 04, 2009 3:32 pm

last years cleo, i believe about half the people in the class had laptops, i bought one already on sale, so I will bring mine.

TheNerdProject

Bronze

Post by TheNerdProject » Mon May 04, 2009 3:34 pm

misssle wrote:I will be attending AIE in Atlanta. From what I hear its a very good experience. Definitely looking foward to it.
I'm doing the LA one. Looking forward to it.

misssle

New

Post by misssle » Mon May 04, 2009 3:38 pm

TheNerdProject wrote:
misssle wrote:I will be attending AIE in Atlanta. From what I hear its a very good experience. Definitely looking foward to it.
I'm doing the LA one. Looking forward to it.
I certainly hope it relieves the anxiety I have about starting school. Lol

M.Love II

New

Post by M.Love II » Tue May 12, 2009 11:38 am

Did you guys get that e-mail from the dean of SIU...Natural Disaster(Inland Hurricane) hit friday. I saw a lot of pictures and the campus literally does look like a war zone. Insane! Hopefully they get their power back soon and we can get some information about cleo from them.

raz3445

New

Post by raz3445 » Tue May 12, 2009 11:44 am

that really does suck. i have lived through actual hurricanes, but at least we are ready for them on the coast.

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Tue May 12, 2009 11:50 am

so what is everyone bringing?

its 6 weeks, so I don't really know whether I should bring stuff like a dorm, or just the bare necessities.

so far this is what I'm going with:

pillows/sheets etc..
bathroom stuff
laptop
backpack
notebooks/paper/supplies etc..

I heard some people brought mini fridges ?

ronjinterdashional

New

Post by ronjinterdashional » Tue May 12, 2009 3:38 pm

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to say how helpful this topic has been.

Congrats to those attending the 6-week session as well as the AIE Seminar! I'll be attending the AIE in Atlanta!

Does anyone know if AIE participants will be eligible for the scholarships during the 2L and 3L years?

joshisaac1000

New

Post by joshisaac1000 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:58 pm

where did you hear about aie being eligible for scholarships?

Attorney2012

New

Post by Attorney2012 » Tue May 12, 2009 6:55 pm

Yeah, I got that email. I'm a little nervous about heading up there now :? I'm praying that no "natural disasters" happen during our summer.
M.Love II wrote:Did you guys get that e-mail from the dean of SIU...Natural Disaster(Inland Hurricane) hit friday. I saw a lot of pictures and the campus literally does look like a war zone. Insane! Hopefully they get their power back soon and we can get some information about cleo from them.

ronjinterdashional

New

Post by ronjinterdashional » Wed May 13, 2009 10:46 am

joshisaac1000 wrote:where did you hear about aie being eligible for scholarships?

According to the CLEO site:

"Participants who successfully complete the program and enroll in an ABA-accredited law school are certified as CLEO/Thurgood Marshall Associates and become eligible to receive academic support services and stipends."

I think that AIE Participants will be considered "Associates", while the 6-week program participants will be considered "Fellows". Thus, I guess my question now turns into "What are the scholarship opportunities available to CLEO Associates?

One more piece of info I just found is that American Airlines offers discounts on flights specifically to CLEO participants.

American Airlines Promotion Code & Duration: A1679AX (July 7-15)

spike

New

Post by spike » Thu May 14, 2009 12:10 pm

bonesinger wrote:so what is everyone bringing?

its 6 weeks, so I don't really know whether I should bring stuff like a dorm, or just the bare necessities.

pillows/sheets etc..
bathroom stuff
laptop
backpack

Don't forget about your alarm and maybe a lamp. I'm going to try to adopt a "minimalist lifestyle" while at Pitt so I'm taking very few things. Moving is dreadful.

I'm also thinking of shipping my stuff to the dorm, thus reducing the hassle of traveling there.

Justice4All

New

Post by Justice4All » Thu May 14, 2009 12:12 pm

My cat's name is Cleo.

raz3445

New

Post by raz3445 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:42 pm

I just got an offer to my dream school, contingent that i go to their summer program. I hate to do it but i think i am going to have to back out of cleo. I dont think i can get a refund anymore either. I am happy about the acceptance but pretty sad about the position that i am in now.

MR315

New

Post by MR315 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:00 pm

raz3445 wrote:I just got an offer to my dream school, contingent that i go to their summer program. I hate to do it but i think i am going to have to back out of cleo. I dont think i can get a refund anymore either. I am happy about the acceptance but pretty sad about the position that i am in now.
Congrats! Which school?

bonesinger

New

Post by bonesinger » Thu May 14, 2009 3:07 pm

spike wrote:

pillows/sheets etc..
bathroom stuff
laptop
backpack

Don't forget about your alarm and maybe a lamp. I'm going to try to adopt a "minimalist lifestyle" while at Pitt so I'm taking very few things. Moving is dreadful.

I'm also thinking of shipping my stuff to the dorm, thus reducing the hassle of traveling there.

i live close, im driving down :< (well 5 hr drive, but close enough!)

im debating whether or not to take my desktop + laptop, or laptop alone. I have it setup so when I connect my Laptop to my network, it auto syncs all the files to my desktop, and vice versa. I want to test run my setup when I go to school in sept.

spike

New

Post by spike » Wed May 27, 2009 11:30 am

bonesinger wrote:
spike wrote:

pillows/sheets etc..
bathroom stuff
laptop
backpack

i live close, im driving down :< (well 5 hr drive, but close enough!)

im debating whether or not to take my desktop + laptop, or laptop alone. I have it setup so when I connect my Laptop to my network, it auto syncs all the files to my desktop, and vice versa. I want to test run my setup when I go to school in sept.
I think you should test it out. One of the benefits of this program is that you get to experiment different habits before the real action begins in the fall.

bezatru

New

Post by bezatru » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:48 pm

Hey, has anybody recieved a complete schedule for the program? I thought they were going to send us the complete schedule when it was finalized before we get there on June 7th.

kimmie

New

Post by kimmie » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:52 pm

Hello all,

To everyone that was accepted for CLEO 2009, do you have any tips for the ones looking for admission into CLEO 2010?

If so, please share.....

Also, do you think people who apply right at the deadline have a chance of acceptance?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”