Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Andrewfromla818

New

Demographics help

Postby Andrewfromla818 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:50 am

I am applying to law school this cycle and for the demographics page on the application, it does not have my ethnicity. I heard it is a bad idea to check the box that says "Decline to respond". As messed up as this sounds, law schools want diverse students and affirmative action is real.

Im asking you guys what to check it. I am middle eastern, Persian. I am technically considered white/Caucasian, I was born here. But as far as my chances of getting into a better law school, what box should I check? " Decline to respond" or " White/Caucasian"

april_ludgate

Bronze

Re: Demographics help

Postby april_ludgate » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:42 am

Andrewfromla818 wrote:I am applying to law school this cycle and for the demographics page on the application, it does not have my ethnicity. I heard it is a bad idea to check the box that says "Decline to respond". As messed up as this sounds, law schools want diverse students and affirmative action is real.

Im asking you guys what to check it. I am middle eastern, Persian. I am technically considered white/Caucasian, I was born here. But as far as my chances of getting into a better law school, what box should I check? " Decline to respond" or " White/Caucasian"

If you hit decline to respond they'll just assume you're white.

driggsbedford

New

Re: Demographics help

Postby driggsbedford » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:26 am

Seems like you answered you own question. You are Caucasian. You can check Caucasian, decline to reply, or lie. One of these three options is clearly wrong, you decide!

Bigbertha008

New

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Postby Bigbertha008 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:13 am

Was wondering if something like Palestinian, which is mostly Hebrew with a mix of African and Greek would count as URM

goingnutslawschool

New

Postby goingnutslawschool » Sun May 06, 2018 3:51 am

No, you would not be considered a URM.

Synapse2018

New

Postby Synapse2018 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 am

You need to “identify” with a group to be considered URM. You don’t need to necessarily have that blood. I.e. a white child adopted and raised by black parents can be considered AA for admissions purposes if that’s how they identify. If your step dad is URM, check that box if you identify with his culture and was raised that way.

nixy

Bronze

Postby nixy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:30 am

....really??

I think you’d have a great diversity statement but I don’t think having an African-American stepdad makes a white person African-American.

(Or: okay, Rachel.)

L_William_W

Bronze

Postby L_William_W » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Synapse2018 wrote:You need to “identify” with a group to be considered URM. You don’t need to necessarily have that blood. I.e. a white child adopted and raised by black parents can be considered AA for admissions purposes if that’s how they identify. If your step dad is URM, check that box if you identify with his culture and was raised that way.

So by this logic, a Korean person can identify as a Mexican?

Synapse2018

New

Postby Synapse2018 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:25 pm

L_William_W wrote:
Synapse2018 wrote:You need to “identify” with a group to be considered URM. You don’t need to necessarily have that blood. I.e. a white child adopted and raised by black parents can be considered AA for admissions purposes if that’s how they identify. If your step dad is URM, check that box if you identify with his culture and was raised that way.

So by this logic, a Korean person can identify as a Mexican?

It is completely possible, but it depends on the circumstances. The diversity statement is generally a good place to address that type of association

nixy

Bronze

Postby nixy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:17 pm

Writing about this in a diversity statement is fine. Checking the box for Mexican or African-American is not.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum?