Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
broach911

New

Re: Will I get a boost? non-URM Hispanic

Post by broach911 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm in the same boat as you, so I too would like to know. I'm shocked that non mexican and non Puerto Ricans don't get a bump. I've heard stories from countless friends who got into pretty good schools that normally people with their scores/gpa wouldn't be able to get into, and they were Hispanic (non Mexican, non Puerto Rican).

vasiok

Bronze

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by vasiok » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:28 pm

C'est la vie

I bet there are more "insert urm here" applying to LS then there are people who were born in Soviet Union >.<

:oops:

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Under Represented Minority...Under Represented...even if there are more (insert URM here) applying to law school it still does not measure up to the proportion of the (insert URM here) in the general population. While there aren't many people born in the old Soviet Union applying to law school there aren't many living in the United States. Everyone always forgets about Under Represented when talking about this. However you could write a great diversity statement and could get a similar boost in admissions, it just wouldn't be a guaranteed boost.

nopq100

New

which one do you like better

Post by nopq100 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:36 am

I LOVE SPAMMING!!

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Silver

Post by Anastasia Dee Dualla » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:09 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khill

New

Post by khill » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:29 pm

One thing I have never been sure of is if I am considered URM. My grandfather is from Mexico but would I still be considered as URM?

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:10 pm

No because you don't identify as it...

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:11 pm

I mean seriously if you have to ask you are not...

toomanyattys

New

Post by toomanyattys » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:12 pm

I'm a bisexual female who has worked with numerous LGBT political action groups over the last 10 years, but I'm also now married to a male. I have serious concerns about how to ID myself related to this. I know how much stigma there is around bisexuality, even from supposedly gay-friendly groups. (I ID'ed as LGBT at a political convention and heard the refrain, "But you're MARRIED!" about a dozen times.) I don't really want to explain it in my personal statement... On the other-hand, it has been a big part of my identity and activism.

Does identifying as LGBT when married possibly HURT me in the eyes of law school admissions' boards?

Anyone have advice on this?

trekker55

New

Post by trekker55 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:38 am

I was born and raised here in the States.
Last edited by trekker55 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

silver11

Bronze

Post by silver11 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:40 am

I'm tired of this question. You are a M, not an Under Represented Minority (URM). For the amount of Afghan descendant population there are enough Afghan lawyers in the legal profession. UNDER REPRESENTED

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:43 am

sharthree wrote:Former foster kid?

And AA/Female

Does the first one count as URM?
nope

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:43 am

silver11 wrote:I'm tired of this question. You are a M, not an Under Represented Minority (URM). For the amount of Afghan descendant population there are enough Afghan lawyers in the legal profession. UNDER REPRESENTED
TITCR

whattodo

New

Post by whattodo » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:32 pm

I agree . if you have to ask, you aren't.

hopingtogo

New

Post by hopingtogo » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:41 pm

Hey guys, this is my first time posting but I have been reading the TLS forums for a while now. I'm a little confused as to the Hispanic/Latino vs. Chicano/Mexican American debate. What's the consensus? Is one of these identities better to mark than the other? I first checked Hispanic/Latino on LSAC because my mom is from Panama and my dad is from Mexico. But when I actually applied I checked Chicano/Mexican American because I identify with that more. I live right on the border with Mexico (it's literally less than two miles away) and I have crossed between the two countries my whole life. I have family that lives and works over in Mexico and in my city you basically have to speak Spanish to communicate with the majority of the population. Now I am worried that I may have checked the wrong box! Any thoughts?

Whitty

Bronze

Post by Whitty » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:34 pm

How about Gingers? Does daywalker status count? :lol:

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:09 pm

hopingtogo wrote:Hey guys, this is my first time posting but I have been reading the TLS forums for a while now. I'm a little confused as to the Hispanic/Latino vs. Chicano/Mexican American debate. What's the consensus? Is one of these identities better to mark than the other? I first checked Hispanic/Latino on LSAC because my mom is from Panama and my dad is from Mexico. But when I actually applied I checked Chicano/Mexican American because I identify with that more. I live right on the border with Mexico (it's literally less than two miles away) and I have crossed between the two countries my whole life. I have family that lives and works over in Mexico and in my city you basically have to speak Spanish to communicate with the majority of the population. Now I am worried that I may have checked the wrong box! Any thoughts?
I think either box would be fine, and that the Mexican box may be more appropriate considering your circumstances. I don't think schools would really mind, but if your nervous you could always send out an addendum explaining your situation.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:49 am

8)
Last edited by MrSoOoFLy on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:14 am

Is Guyana in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Africa, or a federal indian reservation?

I think not.

rickvidal13

New

Post by rickvidal13 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Hmm would I get the boost of an URM?

I was born in Ecuador, lived there most of my childhood, moved here when I was 12 to the United States with my family.

solidusardet

New

Post by solidusardet » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:07 pm

Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, blacks, native americans, and yes, Latinos/Hispanics are under-represented minorities.

While I appreciate the dialogue stricken up by killer and lex, the fact is you folks are patently wrong about the non-Mexican/non-Puerto Rican hispanic population being considered as merely minorities and not as under represented minorities.

Don't get me wrong - I'm Mexican, and I'm pretty devout about my heritage being distinct from Central/South America, but make no mistake about it - central and south americans are just as underrepresented as Mexicans and Puerto Ricans, and are making up a larger and larger portion of the American population. How many Brazilian, Ecuadorian, Salvadorian- American schooled attorneys do you know? Probably none.

So if you're Hispanic/Latino, you're URM. There may be some difference in terms of admissions, but if there is such a thing as affirmative action for URMs, hispanics don't have to be Mexican or Puerto Rican to be in that group.

boskvalitet

New

Post by boskvalitet » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:15 am

I am from Bosnia, am I considered a URM ?

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am

solidusardet wrote:Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, blacks, native americans, and yes, Latinos/Hispanics are under-represented minorities.

While I appreciate the dialogue stricken up by killer and lex, the fact is you folks are patently wrong about the non-Mexican/non-Puerto Rican hispanic population being considered as merely minorities and not as under represented minorities.

Don't get me wrong - I'm Mexican, and I'm pretty devout about my heritage being distinct from Central/South America, but make no mistake about it - central and south americans are just as underrepresented as Mexicans and Puerto Ricans, and are making up a larger and larger portion of the American population. How many Brazilian, Ecuadorian, Salvadorian- American schooled attorneys do you know? Probably none.

So if you're Hispanic/Latino, you're URM. There may be some difference in terms of admissions, but if there is such a thing as affirmative action for URMs, hispanics don't have to be Mexican or Puerto Rican to be in that group.
Uhh... it was a joke made at the wee hours of the morning by someone who asked me to respond to the post...

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:27 am

Mikey1 wrote:
silver11 wrote:The Grutter case found that Hispanics/Latino's that were not Mexican-American or Puerto Rican were NOT receiving favorable admission standards. Head on over to LSN and look at the numbers of students who claim are Mexican-American and Puerto Rican and compare their numbers to others who are accepted to the same schools. The numbers are more generous. As far as underrepresented goes, only 2000 out of 128000 test takers are Mexican American. 1.5 percent of ALL test takers are Mexican-American, this is what makes an ethnicity underrepresented. Why would you think that LSAC goes out of its way to make a distinction between Mexican Americans, Puerto Ricans and Hispanics? Why doesn't it do it for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Indian? Why not for Arabs? Why not for Cubans??? It's because they aren't considered URMs.
Aren't you assuming that because LSAC does not put Cuban, Arab, etc. on the test that they are not URM?

Also, where did you get the data that only 2000 out of 128000 test takers are MA?

I think Cubans are considered URMs in most schools outside of Florida. At least that's what this website says.

--LinkRemoved--

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:42 am

Whitty wrote:How about Gingers? Does daywalker status count? :lol:
how did no one acknowledge this amazing comment?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”