Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:59 pm

^this is correct. Schools ask how you identify, and then decide what to do with that. You don't check a URM box. (Also, I moved this to the appropriate thread.)

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Re: Middle Easterners are not considered a "URM"?

Post by BobBoblaw » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:08 pm

pleaseberkeley wrote:I assumed that someone who is of Afghan descent, Tajik descent, etc (obscure Middle Eastern/central asian) would be considered an underrepresented minority. But I am also hearing that this box should only be checked if you are hispanic or latino, american indian, or african american. Is there a URM box you check, or do you just get filed under this category if you are black, Hispanic, or indian? What happens if you check it anyway because, well, you are an underrepresented minority but not a "URM" in this law school context? I mean if someone who's parents are from Uzbekistan check the "URM" box, there should never be a problem about this, ever. Is there some consequence if he does?
I believe that middle easterners must generally check the "white/Caucasian" box. You could still deal with your unique heritage as part of your PS or in a diversity statement.

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi all! So interesting circumstances here: my mom's uncle recently came into the picture since my mom's dad died (her dad left her at a young age), filled my mom in on her dad's side of the family and spoke about our Native American roots (supposedly both of my great-grandparents were Cherokee). Our family always had a vague sense that we might have native roots but since my mom wasn't in contact at all with her dad's family didn't have any specifics/proof. She's asked me to help her research her family and I was able to trace ancestors back to the Dawes Rolls. I'm Mexican-American (up until this point I thought just half mexican and half white) and have identified myself as such all of my life, even wrote my diversity statement about identifying with my mexican roots. Would it be appropriate to identify as Native American as well? My mom is looking into registering for the tribe but because this is all so recent she hasn't acted on it so obviously I would not have a tribal enrollment number. I'm curious about this new revelation but don't want to come across as disingenuous since I haven't added native american as part of my identification in the past. Thanks for weighing in on this and for your honesty, I appreciate it!

tldr: just found out native american, do I add this as another box I check in addition to the mexican and caucasian boxes?

intltradefuturelwyr

New

Post by intltradefuturelwyr » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:44 pm

ojpossum wrote:Hi all! So interesting circumstances here: my mom's uncle recently came into the picture since my mom's dad died (her dad left her at a young age), filled my mom in on her dad's side of the family and spoke about our Native American roots (supposedly both of my great-grandparents were Cherokee). Our family always had a vague sense that we might have native roots but since my mom wasn't in contact at all with her dad's family didn't have any specifics/proof. She's asked me to help her research her family and I was able to trace ancestors back to the Dawes Rolls. I'm Mexican-American (up until this point I thought just half mexican and half white) and have identified myself as such all of my life, even wrote my diversity statement about identifying with my mexican roots. Would it be appropriate to identify as Native American as well? My mom is looking into registering for the tribe but because this is all so recent she hasn't acted on it so obviously I would not have a tribal enrollment number. I'm curious about this new revelation but don't want to come across as disingenuous since I haven't added native american as part of my identification in the past. Thanks for weighing in on this and for your honesty, I appreciate it!

tldr: just found out native american, do I add this as another box I check in addition to the mexican and caucasian boxes?
If you're mestizo, they should know that you are part native, but I wouldn't count on that--so I'd check yes. However, some ask for specific tribes so be prepared for that but if you know what tribe you're affiliated with, I don't know why it would be a problem (I don't believe they ask for a number). I'm Mexican American too but just put white because there is no way to confirm my Native heritage and it really hasn't been a big part of my life. I was worried if I put it, I would be asked about it in interviews and can't really connect it in anyway to my life right now.

Tha_Trademark

New

Removed

Post by Tha_Trademark » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:51 pm

Last edited by Tha_Trademark on Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thazel

New

Post by thazel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi everyone! I'm half Zimbabwean African and half caucasian New Zealander - am I considered a URM due to my african side?

DriveLikeNashvillian

New

Post by DriveLikeNashvillian » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:54 pm

thazel wrote:Hi everyone! I'm half Zimbabwean African and half caucasian New Zealander - am I considered a URM due to my african side?
Yeah, definitely. I'm half-black/white, and for all intents and purposes look like a white dude, but I've been claiming URM on all my apps. I wrote about that in my diversity statement and focused on some of the specific circumstances that have come about in my life because of my ethnic heritage and judging by my offers, mediocre numbers, and mediocre softs, I definitely got the "urm boost."

thazel

New

Post by thazel » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:07 pm

DriveLikeNashvillian wrote:
thazel wrote:Hi everyone! I'm half Zimbabwean African and half caucasian New Zealander - am I considered a URM due to my african side?
Yeah, definitely. I'm half-black/white, and for all intents and purposes look like a white dude, but I've been claiming URM on all my apps. I wrote about that in my diversity statement and focused on some of the specific circumstances that have come about in my life because of my ethnic heritage and judging by my offers, mediocre numbers, and mediocre softs, I definitely got the "urm boost."
Wonderful, thanks for sharing your experience as a URM. Will definitely be claiming it on my apps.

ojpossum

New

Post by ojpossum » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:18 am

intltradefuturelwyr wrote:
ojpossum wrote:Hi all! So interesting circumstances here: my mom's uncle recently came into the picture since my mom's dad died (her dad left her at a young age), filled my mom in on her dad's side of the family and spoke about our Native American roots (supposedly both of my great-grandparents were Cherokee). Our family always had a vague sense that we might have native roots but since my mom wasn't in contact at all with her dad's family didn't have any specifics/proof. She's asked me to help her research her family and I was able to trace ancestors back to the Dawes Rolls. I'm Mexican-American (up until this point I thought just half mexican and half white) and have identified myself as such all of my life, even wrote my diversity statement about identifying with my mexican roots. Would it be appropriate to identify as Native American as well? My mom is looking into registering for the tribe but because this is all so recent she hasn't acted on it so obviously I would not have a tribal enrollment number. I'm curious about this new revelation but don't want to come across as disingenuous since I haven't added native american as part of my identification in the past. Thanks for weighing in on this and for your honesty, I appreciate it!

If you're mestizo, they should know that you are part native, but I wouldn't count on that--so I'd check yes. However, some ask for specific tribes so be prepared for that but if you know what tribe you're affiliated with, I don't know why it would be a problem (I don't believe they ask for a number). I'm Mexican American too but just put white because there is no way to confirm my Native heritage and it really hasn't been a big part of my life. I was worried if I put it, I would be asked about it in interviews and can't really connect it in anyway to my life right now.

Thanks for the response and perspective! I know the tribe I'm affiliated with but am not officially registered so I would not be listing an enrollment ID. After thinking about it I've decided to put everything I am: Mexican-American, Native American (Cherokee), and Caucasian/European and let the schools decide what they want to do with that info. My diversity statement will be about my Mexican-American roots so hopefully that will help give schools more insight.

Aidan102

New

Re: Cubans

Post by Aidan102 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:37 pm

Mod edit: spam

Doutrinador1

New

Post by Doutrinador1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:06 pm

i´m a Brazilian who will apply to Harvard Law School, am i a URM?

WamBamThankYouMaam

Bronze

Post by WamBamThankYouMaam » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:10 pm

Doutrinador1 wrote:i´m a Brazilian who will apply to Harvard Law School, am i a URM?
No, but if you've lived in Brazil or have a unique story you can always write a diversity statement

Doutrinador1

New

Post by Doutrinador1 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:18 pm

WamBamThankYouMaam wrote:
Doutrinador1 wrote:i´m a Brazilian who will apply to Harvard Law School, am i a URM?
No, but if you've lived in Brazil or have a unique story you can always write a diversity statement

nice, thanks!

can you have tell me more about this diversity statement? i will apply in 2019 and i´m kind of lost hahaha

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Tha_Trademark wrote:Here's my situation: I am a card-carrying member of 2 federally recognized American Indian tribes. However, I am only 1/32 and have no plans to write a diversity statement or address my heritage anywhere in my app. Will it count against me if I mark the American Indian box and provide by Tribal ID numbers but don't otherwise address it in my app?
No, why would it? Just say you're white (i assume) and Native and list the tribes you belong to.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Last edited by LesPaul1995 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:32 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:My great aunt is Cherokee, and so my six first cousins are Cherokee. We are blood related rather than marriage related. Cousins share ~14% DNA with me. Am I able to claim NA?
If your blood-related great aunt is Cherokee shouldn't somebody that you descend directly from be Cherokee as well?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:03 pm

LesPaul1995 wrote:My great aunt is Cherokee, and so my six first cousins are Cherokee. We are blood related rather than marriage related. Cousins share ~14% DNA with me. Am I able to claim NA?
Are you an enrolled member of the nation? If not, have you actually identified as Cherokee at any point and do you have any cultural affiliation (participate in tribal activities or such)? If no to both, don't claim it.

LesPaul1995

Bronze

Post by LesPaul1995 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Last edited by LesPaul1995 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Was your great-aunt around in 1898-1914 when the Dawes rolls were compiled?

In any case, if you aren't enrolled *and* you don't participate in any of the Cherokee communities in any way, I wouldn't ID as NA for the first time when applying to law school. But I also can't tell you how you identify, and I know Cherokee is difficult because getting enrolled can be really hard. There's just a semi-unfortunate practice of people suddenly discovering NA ancestry when they're applying to schools. And it's not really whether you can "claim" something as much as whether this is actually how you identify.

texas96

New

Post by texas96 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:08 pm

DriveLikeNashvillian wrote:

When you say "claiming URM", what do you mean? I'm also half black, so I'm looking for advice.

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:27 pm

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:59 pm

I generally identify as white and Hispanic. My dad is sooo white! My mom is Texican (born and raised in Texas in Mexican community, spoke Spanish as a first language, learned English through school.). Best I know, both her parents were also born in the USA but it gets muddy regarding the previous generation (some Texas born, at least 1 great-great from Mexico.). All relatives in that side would identify as Mexican-American.

I don't speak Spanish really, but when given the option I've always picked both Caucasian and Hispanic and this is how I'm registered on LSAC. I'm not sure if this qualifies as Mexican since I'm at least third generation American and because I don't speak Spanish. Would the latter be an expectation?
Thoughts?

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:26 pm

DorkothyParker wrote:I generally identify as white and Hispanic. My dad is sooo white! My mom is Texican (born and raised in Texas in Mexican community, spoke Spanish as a first language, learned English through school.). Best I know, both her parents were also born in the USA but it gets muddy regarding the previous generation (some Texas born, at least 1 great-great from Mexico.). All relatives in that side would identify as Mexican-American.

I don't speak Spanish really, but when given the option I've always picked both Caucasian and Hispanic and this is how I'm registered on LSAC. I'm not sure if this qualifies as Mexican since I'm at least third generation American and because I don't speak Spanish. Would the latter be an expectation?
Thoughts?
Most applications will have a specific question essentially asking "Are you Hispanic?" Given your background and how you've self-identified in the past, you'd say yes. Then usually they'll ask a broader ethnic question that may or may not have both white and hispanic, and you'd be able to select both there, or only white if there isn't a specific hispanic/latino option.

studystudystudy

New

Post by studystudystudy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Would I be considered a URM if I listed my ethnicity as: American Indian, Chicano/Mexican, European, Other Caucasian/White?

I'm 50% Romanian and my grandma was Mexican and Native American. Specifically, from the Navajo and Tarahumara tribes. I don't have a card to prove this, but do have a document that states my Grandma was Tarahumara.

Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”