Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
JudgeWanker

New

Re: URM? Or not?

Post by JudgeWanker » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:16 pm

The Mixed Tape wrote:if he checks the box then hes gonna get the bump

he wont have problems w the bar

your name and what u physically look like are not factors
So 1/8 blood does count? Even if it says white on his birth certificate?

The Mixed Tape

Platinum

Post by The Mixed Tape » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:20 pm

JudgeWanker wrote:
So 1/8 blood does count? Even if it says white on his birth certificate?
yeah, dude.

no one is going to care

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:29 pm

Hispanic is an ethnicity, not a race. You can be a white Hispanic (or a black one or a NA/indigenous one).

Also, I'm merging this with the correct thread.

PubliusJ

New

Post by PubliusJ » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:26 pm

I don't think any law school in America is going to ask him for a photo of himself, then cross-reference the color of his skin with some skin color-race spreadsheet, or infer anything from the sound of his name. He is in fact technically Latino, but the degree to which he is URM varies from law school to law school. He should verify demographic data from every law school that interests him to ensure that the race he wants to showcase is in demand. If it is, then he needs to incorporate his race in a diversity statement.

texcellence

Bronze

Post by texcellence » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:33 pm

JudgeWanker wrote:I am having a disagreement with a fellow applicant on whether he is urm or not. He told me he is 1/8 Mexican-American from his dad's side ( his dad's grandmother was full blooded Mexican). Does he count as Mexican/chicano urm? He has put it on his college applications and is intending on putting it on his law school applications. He wants to practice in Texas, but I said the bar might have an issue with it. Do you guys agree with myself or more with him? He has a white name and does not look hispanic except for his hair. How does even prove that they are latino? Birth certificate? I know Texas bar asks for that.
One does not need to necessarily "look Hispanic" to be it. Does he culturally identify as Hispanic/Latino? If not, he is a dirtbag. You don't get to reject our culture and avoid our struggles by white-passing and *then* decide to claim our ethnic status when it suits you. Regardless, I'm not sure there's anything LSAC/schools could do about this, but they might think it's odd if he doesn't write a diversity statement incorporating his ethnic identity.

The Mixed Tape

Platinum

Post by The Mixed Tape » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:39 pm

texcellence wrote:You don't get to reject our culture and avoid our struggles by white-passing and *then* decide to claim our ethnic status when it suits you..
actually, u do get to if u want.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:55 pm

Hi - you asked this already, and I merged that thread with the "am I URM?" thread stickied in the URM forum. Going to do the same thing with this so answers are together. Please continue any discussion there. Thanks.

icantwait

New

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by icantwait » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:57 pm

moved

chiguel

New

Post by chiguel » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:28 am

I am 1/2 Native American, Mapuche specifically and have marked it so in the applications that ask but people are telling me unless I have a tribal ID it will actually hurt my application to check Native American. The issue is that there is no Tribal ID system in Chile where this tribe is located.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:49 am

chiguel wrote:I am 1/2 Native American, Mapuche specifically and have marked it so in the applications that ask but people are telling me unless I have a tribal ID it will actually hurt my application to check Native American. The issue is that there is no Tribal ID system in Chile where this tribe is located.
My understanding is that from a law school admissions standpoint, Native American only encompasses U.S. tribes. But I would call the schools you are applying to and ask.

Source: Close friend is Mexican-American, but his family is 100% native to Mexico/indigenous. He explained this to staff members at 3 schools asking what he should check, they told him not to check Native American (even though that's really what he is), because it's for U.S. tribal purposes. Was told to just mark his MA status.

Budfox55

Bronze

Post by Budfox55 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:05 pm

Yea I would check with the school. If they tell you to check off as Hispanic, I would def write a diversity statement explaining your indigenous background.

Mikey

Platinum

Am I considered URM?

Post by Mikey » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:03 am

Post Removed...
Last edited by Mikey on Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:07 am

1) moved post to the thread we already have for this question

2) American Indian is different because of the historic/legal relationship between the US and Indian nations - tribes have sovereignty, and they require enrollment to be considered a full member (this can screw over people with genuine cultural connections to a given tribe who don't meet the blood quantum or other enrollment requirements, but that's a different issue). No one is going to make you prove that you're Puerto Rican.

lawat43

New

Post by lawat43 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:28 pm

As a 43 year old am I considered URM, even though I am white. Or am I non-traditional? Is there a difference? TIA

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:40 pm

lawat43 wrote:As a 43 year old am I considered URM, even though I am white. Or am I non-traditional? Is there a difference? TIA
URM means African-American, Native American, Mexican-American, or Puerto Rican. Your age makes you non-traditional.

olikatz

Bronze

r

Post by olikatz » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:02 am

r
Last edited by olikatz on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Gold

Re: Can I get help with determining i am URM and can someone explain to me what a diversity sampler is?

Post by Clearly » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:54 am

You are Mexican. No one will ask, you're not required to prove it. I've seen some pretty tenuous questions here (1/16th black, never identified that way). Yours isn't one of them. You are 1000% in the clear both practically and in my opinion ethically (which is really the only relevant thing most of the time anyway).

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Can I get help with determining i am URM and can someone explain to me what a diversity sampler is?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:40 am

olikatz wrote:My mother is Mexican and my father is Iranian. They met had me and my sister and he split before I ever got to know him. I grew up in a latino neighborhood, speak spanish and have never met any or my iranian relatives. The issue is that my first and last name pay tribute to him. Despite this I identify as a Latino, speak spanish and such. I know I'll always be half latino but to me, I've completely severed any connections of him to my life. So would it be okay if check Mexican in order to get that URM status? Will ad-coms ask for proof of this? If so what proof could I give them besides me speaking spanish. Also why aren't latin americans allowed to be URM? And can someone else explain what a diversity sampler is?
Moved this into the correct topic.

Never heard of a diversity sampler, just a diversity statement.

rictheruler

New

Post by rictheruler » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm half chinese/ half white. i know that's not considered an URM but should i report ethnicity to LSAC?

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:04 pm

rictheruler wrote:I'm half chinese/ half white. i know that's not considered an URM but should i report ethnicity to LSAC?
Yes. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't.

rictheruler

New

Post by rictheruler » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:20 pm

fliptrip wrote:
rictheruler wrote:I'm half chinese/ half white. i know that's not considered an URM but should i report ethnicity to LSAC?
Yes. I don't see any reason why you wouldn't.
because of the possibility it might hurt admission chances, similar to undergrad.

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:24 pm

I don't think it's an issue with law school admissions.

rictheruler

New

Post by rictheruler » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:26 pm

fliptrip wrote:I don't think it's an issue with law school admissions.
okay thanks

Lapp03

New

Post by Lapp03 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:16 am

Hey guys! I have a quick question I’m hoping you can help me with.

I am an international, Black, LGBT, female applicant applying in the next cycle. I read somewhere on a different thread that non-American Black applicants do not get the same URM boost as African-American applicants. Do you know if this is actually the case and would I get any kind of URM boost?

Thanks in advance! :D

LMP10

New

Post by LMP10 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:28 pm

I have a question about what to put down on my applications. I am originally from a country in SA, but I was adopted into a PR family. I know that I'm Hispanic, but would I be able to put down PR as well? I've always identified with that, but since I'm not technically PR, would it be wrong to check the box?

Thanks for the help.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”