Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Andrewfromla818

New

Demographics help

Post by Andrewfromla818 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:50 am

I am applying to law school this cycle and for the demographics page on the application, it does not have my ethnicity. I heard it is a bad idea to check the box that says "Decline to respond". As messed up as this sounds, law schools want diverse students and affirmative action is real.

Im asking you guys what to check it. I am middle eastern, Persian. I am technically considered white/Caucasian, I was born here. But as far as my chances of getting into a better law school, what box should I check? " Decline to respond" or " White/Caucasian"

april_ludgate

Bronze

Re: Demographics help

Post by april_ludgate » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:42 am

Andrewfromla818 wrote:I am applying to law school this cycle and for the demographics page on the application, it does not have my ethnicity. I heard it is a bad idea to check the box that says "Decline to respond". As messed up as this sounds, law schools want diverse students and affirmative action is real.

Im asking you guys what to check it. I am middle eastern, Persian. I am technically considered white/Caucasian, I was born here. But as far as my chances of getting into a better law school, what box should I check? " Decline to respond" or " White/Caucasian"
If you hit decline to respond they'll just assume you're white.

driggsbedford

New

Re: Demographics help

Post by driggsbedford » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:26 am

Seems like you answered you own question. You are Caucasian. You can check Caucasian, decline to reply, or lie. One of these three options is clearly wrong, you decide!

Bigbertha008

New

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by Bigbertha008 » Sun May 06, 2018 2:13 am

Was wondering if something like Palestinian, which is mostly Hebrew with a mix of African and Greek would count as URM

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Sun May 06, 2018 3:51 am

No, you would not be considered a URM.

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 am

You need to “identify” with a group to be considered URM. You don’t need to necessarily have that blood. I.e. a white child adopted and raised by black parents can be considered AA for admissions purposes if that’s how they identify. If your step dad is URM, check that box if you identify with his culture and was raised that way.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:30 am

....really??

I think you’d have a great diversity statement but I don’t think having an African-American stepdad makes a white person African-American.

(Or: okay, Rachel.)

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Synapse2018 wrote:You need to “identify” with a group to be considered URM. You don’t need to necessarily have that blood. I.e. a white child adopted and raised by black parents can be considered AA for admissions purposes if that’s how they identify. If your step dad is URM, check that box if you identify with his culture and was raised that way.
So by this logic, a Korean person can identify as a Mexican?

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:25 pm

L_William_W wrote:
Synapse2018 wrote:You need to “identify” with a group to be considered URM. You don’t need to necessarily have that blood. I.e. a white child adopted and raised by black parents can be considered AA for admissions purposes if that’s how they identify. If your step dad is URM, check that box if you identify with his culture and was raised that way.
So by this logic, a Korean person can identify as a Mexican?
It is completely possible, but it depends on the circumstances. The diversity statement is generally a good place to address that type of association

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:17 pm

Writing about this in a diversity statement is fine. Checking the box for Mexican or African-American is not.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:29 am

nixy wrote:Writing about this in a diversity statement is fine. Checking the box for Mexican or African-American is not.
I did notice that some schools ask for "what group you identify with." I think if you want to limit ethnic grouping to biological ethnicity you would not word it like that.

I do identify with a different group more than my birth group, but I checked my group. I can't say that I disagree with anyone who truthfully choose the other way though. This using ethnic grouping to proximate disadvantages is not entirely on point.

kenhope

New

Post by kenhope » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:23 am

Are black canadians considered urm and non intl?

Collegiate

New

Post by Collegiate » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Would having a medically diagnosed learning disability make me a URM?

Plus would starting law school at a later age also put me in this category? Ex. starting at 29/30 vs. fresh out of a college at 21 or 22.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Collegiate wrote:Would having a medically diagnosed learning disability make me a URM?

Plus would starting law school at a later age also put me in this category? Ex. starting at 29/30 vs. fresh out of a college at 21 or 22.
No to both.

nixy

Gold

Post by nixy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:53 pm

kenhope wrote:Are black canadians considered urm and non intl?
You’re still international, but anecdotes suggest you will count as African American/black.

wishpoynter

New

Post by wishpoynter » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:14 am

I'm brazilian and y'all know colorism is real af in brazil. whenever i'm in there i'm considered "black" but here in the states i'm not embraced by the AA community whatsoever since my grandmothers were not black. both of my grandfathers were visibly black people and so i've always checked the "other" or "two or more" box when it comes to self identification and on lsac itself i checked off "black" "white" and "south american". do i need to go into lengthy detail about this on my diversity statement? i actually planned on writing about my parents' struggle moving to america and how that shaped my upbringing. most people who see me guess, based on my features, that i am mixed with something. feels like racial limbo most of the time tbh

CoolHouse

New

Post by CoolHouse » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:15 am

Im a biracial white/black Canadian.

Can I select only black/AA on my application? I don’t identify as white and if you look at me you will essentially see a lighter skinned black man.

CoolHouse

New

Post by CoolHouse » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:16 am

nixy wrote:
You’re still international, but anecdotes suggest you will count as African American/black.
Does being international affect URM status in any way? Negatively or positively?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:03 am

CoolHouse wrote:
nixy wrote:
Does being international affect URM status in any way? Negatively or positively?
Negatively. The URM boosts are based on being a US citizen - i.e. African Americans being underrepresented, not Africans. I'm pretty sure that's how US News implements diversity ratings. That said, law schools like having diverse classes so there is still some benefit.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:31 pm

CoolHouse wrote:Im a biracial white/black Canadian.

Can I select only black/AA on my application? I don’t identify as white and if you look at me you will essentially see a lighter skinned black man.
As you are 50% black, appear black, and self-identify as black, yes, IMO you are fine to identify as "only" black/AA on your application.

CoolHouse

New

Post by CoolHouse » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:47 pm

LSATWiz.com wrote:
CoolHouse wrote:
nixy wrote:
Negatively. The URM boosts are based on being a US citizen - i.e. African Americans being underrepresented, not Africans. I'm pretty sure that's how US News implements diversity ratings. That said, law schools like having diverse classes so there is still some benefit.
Is there a part in the application where I indicate my citizenship? What if I have a green card? Would I be seen the same as a US citizen?

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:13 pm

CoolHouse wrote:
LSATWiz.com wrote:
CoolHouse wrote:
nixy wrote:
Is there a part in the application where I indicate my citizenship? What if I have a green card? Would I be seen the same as a US citizen?
IDK - it's possible the green card changes it - I just don't know the exact way US News defines it, and the truth is that's a big part of why there's a large URM boost. Now, law schools do want to have more black law students. I remember reading a law review article years ago where an admissions dean was quoted as expressing it would be embarrassing for a school to have a class with one black student. The thing it is a numbers game, and an African American student with lower #'s can check a box you can't so you do want to be above one median the same as if you were not a URM. You are probably going to be preferred over other non-URM's, but you're not going to get the same boost. Think somewhere between a diversity boost and URM boost.

Caracalla

New

Post by Caracalla » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:19 am

Eastern European immigrant to the US that lives around the poverty line. Do I qualify as URM?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:00 pm

Caracalla wrote:Eastern European immigrant to the US that lives around the poverty line. Do I qualify as URM?
For law school admissions purposes, no.

That said, you could/should potentially include a Diversity Statement, which may help move things around the edge. But you won't be considered a URM for law school admissions purposes, so you shouldn't expect to outperform your GPA/LSAT as predicted by MyLSN.

thedragon5678

New

Post by thedragon5678 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:31 pm

Does the LGBT community get an admissions advantage at Harvard, Columbia, or NYU? Do other hispanics (not Mexican or Puerto Rican)?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”