Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM?? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
geoffree

Bronze

Re: Am I a URM???/Is___ race/circumstance considered URM??

Post by geoffree » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:35 am

kn6542 wrote:I'm just generally really weird. Am I a URM?
You sure look weird in your avatar. You really love your haircuts eh? Pure bliss mmmm

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:39 am

MrSoOoFLy wrote:My parents are from a country called Guyana in South America.

It's not a spanish country.

I'm considered Carribean; i.e. Trinidadian; Jamaican; etc.

So am I an URM?
I think you're URM.

Lizface killah

Bronze

Post by Lizface killah » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:11 am

I'm considered Caribbean; i.e. Trinidadian; Jamaican; etc.

So am I an URM?

I was wondering where Soofly was from. Out of curiosity, are your parents Indian-Guyanese? Everyone I've met from Guyana (obviously small sample size) has had some South Asian ancestry as well.

Jay Obee

New

Post by Jay Obee » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:48 pm

My friend from Trinidad and Tobago is also of Indian descent. I know he considers himself Indian (even though he has none of the culture), but I'm not sure how he'd be treated for Aff. Act. purposes.

MrSoOoFLy

Bronze

Post by MrSoOoFLy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Lizface killah wrote:

I'm considered Caribbean; i.e. Trinidadian; Jamaican; etc.

So am I an URM?

I was wondering where Soofly was from. Out of curiosity, are your parents Indian-Guyanese? Everyone I've met from Guyana (obviously small sample size) has had some South Asian ancestry as well.
You should've just asked Liz =]

& I guess my ancestry is Indian guyanese....

Eh people from the Caribbean are overall considered black but I guess that doesn't fly with adcoms....

so i guess i'm not urm.. just a minority

DineshD

New

Post by DineshD » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:10 pm

would Sri Lankan be considered URM?

mansour2321

New

Post by mansour2321 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:12 am

Does having a Saudi Father/American Mother count as a URM or do you suggest going for the whole diversity thing in my PS

DennyCrane

New

Post by DennyCrane » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:08 am

mansour2321 wrote:Does having a Saudi Father/American Mother count as a URM or do you suggest going for the whole diversity thing in my PS
Nope, not URM. See above posts.

Yes, write the diversity PS, focusing on the hardships and discrimination you haven't (oops, have) experienced and how that will enrich the environment at your school (it won't), etc. Sometimes bullshit pays off, unfortunately.

emv

New

Post by emv » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Question: I'm a colombian immigrant who now has US citizenship...am I a URM?

Sinnster

New

Post by Sinnster » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 pm

emv wrote:Question: I'm a colombian immigrant who now has US citizenship...am I a URM?
Same question. South American Hispanic (Paraguay). I don't think it counts for us right?? I'm not sure anymore since they seemed to have changed the reporting to just "Hispanic" vs. making further distinctions.

rngrfan14

New

Post by rngrfan14 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:11 pm

i apologize if this question has already been asked; there's been quite a lot of discussion in this forum.

would minority religion qualify for urm? in case you'll ask, jewish?

jacko

New

Post by jacko » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:01 pm

I just got a DNA test and the entire time I thought I thought my family had Native American ancestors, but the test actually showed that I'm 2% Asian and 2% African American ( I had no idea!) and although I technically "look" Caucasian should I put that I'm a URM?

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:29 pm

It seems a lot of people get ethnicity, race, religion, and even genetics all mixed up with the idea of under represented minority. A minority can be anything depending on context, a race, religion, a sexual preference, an eye color, an abnormal interest in Scrabble. The point is that when it comes to applying to law school there is a very narrow set of qualifiers for URM, for better or worse, and that's just how it is. Whether someone feels that a particular group (be it ethnic, racial, etc) SHOULD be considered is not really relevant, and remember that we are talking about under representation in the legal field here, not in life in general. Sure, a particular group may constitute a mere .5% of the population at large, but if they are over represented in the legal industry, say 3% of all lawyers are members of said group, then they are hardly under represented. It's much more complex than just saying "My dad is from Peru so I'm a URM."

As for the Jewish dude a couple posts up, if you think that qualifies you as a URM you should really look at the representation of your fellow religion members in the legal field. A big 'no.' And the guy right above with the genetics test, dude c'mon, you can't be serious. This is way off as far as qualifying as a URM first off, and second everyone's genetic makeup is a lot more mixed up than it would seem or than one believes it to be. That's just a result of history, plain and simple. Just because your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandfather migrated from North Africa or the Levant to Southern Europe and then his ancestors made their way north does NOT make you a URM.

I know this is an old thread, but thought I'd way in since it was resurrected recently. I just think these "am I a URM" discussions are laughable for the most part.

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:35 pm

It's funny. I'm half Puerto-Rican, and I never even thought of marking Puerto-Rican on my undergrad applications or anything else for that matter until my fiancee said recently, "Hey, you're half Puerto-Rican...you're considered a URM so you should mark it when you're applying to law school."

dante500

New

Post by dante500 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:39 pm

as stars burn wrote:It's funny. I'm half Puerto-Rican, and I never even thought of marking Puerto-Rican on my undergrad applications or anything else for that matter until my fiancee said recently, "Hey, you're half Puerto-Rican...you're considered a URM so you should mark it when you're applying to law school."
Yeha, don't get me wrong, I'd rag on people for trying to find something to classify themselves as URM to boost their app and all, but I'd also think it silly for a true URM to NOT use it on their apps. Use it and reap the benefits for real.

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:46 pm

geoffree wrote:

So am I an URM?
I think you're URM.

What if I am a white person born in Africa (South Africa to be specific). Then moved to America, literally making me African-American but not black. Am I a URM?

as stars burn

Silver

Post by as stars burn » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:54 pm

dante500 wrote:
as stars burn wrote:It's funny. I'm half Puerto-Rican, and I never even thought of marking Puerto-Rican on my undergrad applications or anything else for that matter until my fiancee said recently, "Hey, you're half Puerto-Rican...you're considered a URM so you should mark it when you're applying to law school."
Yeha, don't get me wrong, I'd rag on people for trying to find something to classify themselves as URM to boost their app and all, but I'd also think it silly for a true URM to NOT use it on their apps. Use it and reap the benefits for real.
I agree. I just didn't think about it...I got the Puerto-Rican blood from my dad, who has rarely talked to me since my parents divorced 12 years ago...so that might be why. But, I do intend to mark it on my apps.

kiwislug

Bronze

Post by kiwislug » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:22 pm

grobbelski wrote:
geoffree wrote:

So am I an URM?
I think you're URM.

What if I am a white person born in Africa (South Africa to be specific). Then moved to America, literally making me African-American but not black. Am I a URM?
No because the term African-American as used in this context only indicates a race.

DGLitcH

New

Post by DGLitcH » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:09 am

Are Asians, specifically Chinese considered URM? If not, how come?

Cleareyes

Bronze

Post by Cleareyes » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:11 am

DGLitcH wrote:Are Asians, specifically Chinese considered URM? If not, how come?
Under Represented Minority. Figure it out.

DGLitcH

New

Post by DGLitcH » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:18 am

Cleareyes wrote:
DGLitcH wrote:Are Asians, specifically Chinese considered URM? If not, how come?
I'd say it's pretty under represented considering how many more there are in the world :wink:

lanvengrey

New

Post by lanvengrey » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:54 pm

DGLitcH wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
I'd say it's pretty under represented considering how many more there are in the world :wink:
Agreed! :D

criket876

New

Post by criket876 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:03 am

Ever notice how exactly NO law schools ask candidates to report skin color/tone/shade? Why? Think about it....
When they ask you to report a race or ethnicity and the choices include Black or African-American, what does that imply? Could you see a person with white skin checking one of these boxes?--remember it does not ask for skin color/tone/shade.
What is the historical context of the AA debate? How much do yall know about Plessy? What constituted a negro and why might we still care today?
I've got some answers that satisfy me, but I was wondering what yall would come up with if I gave you the same questions I've been pondering over.

laws42

New

Post by laws42 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Parents are from Morocco/Algeria...does this count as A-A or any URM?

yorubella

New

Post by yorubella » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:04 pm

If you identify as Black, I vote yes. I've met a few Moroccans and Algerians, and before I saw their names or heard the accents I assumed they were biracial.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”