169 LSAT BLANK GPA URM Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
michaeleid811

New

169 LSAT BLANK GPA URM

Post by michaeleid811 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:18 am

Hello, I'm a Mexican American Male, I'm thinking of retaking in the July test and just canceling if it isn't higher? I dropped out at 16 due to family circumstances and got my GED, 20 years later I obtained a degree in a year with self study and taking CLEP and DSST exams. These credits are pass fail though and leaves me well short of the sixty credits required for a GPA from Lsac, Appreciate any thoughts you guys may have?

Goldie

Bronze

Re: 169 LSAT BLANK GPA URM

Post by Goldie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:34 am

I did most of my college degree through CLEP and DSST classes, but I had two online classes which gave me a GPA of 3.85. Went to a ~T30 with around a ~60% scholarship, then transferred to a YHS after 1L. My unusual college background certainly raised questions during my 1L apps, but didn't disqualify me. Sounds like you've already graduated college? If not, take at least a couple online classes. (Alternatively, maybe see if you could take a couple online classes in a different area and convert your CLEP/DSST credits into a second bachelors degree with a GPA?)

michaeleid811

New

Post by michaeleid811 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:54 am

My Degree GPA is 3.5 from two classes but I thought law schools only looked at Cumulative GPA which is blank because I don't have sixty credits? I have already graduated and any class I take after graduating isn't included in that Cumulative GPA either right?

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:21 pm

If that's true, then law schools didn't look at my GPA either. And no, I wouldn't think you could backdate a class--I was just suggesting that, if you truly had *no* GPA, that it might be worth trying to turn your credits into a second degree with a GPA. Since you have at least some GPA, I think I'd just apply with your current stats, or else retake to try to have an even higher LSAT to cancel out your unconventional GPA situation.

michaeleid811

New

Post by michaeleid811 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:00 pm

What did you get on your LSAT if it is okay for me to ask?

nicole1994

New

Post by nicole1994 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:43 pm

Mind sharing your transfer Path to YHS?

uote="Goldie"]If that's true, then law schools didn't look at my GPA either. And no, I wouldn't think you could backdate a class--I was just suggesting that, if you truly had *no* GPA, that it might be worth trying to turn your credits into a second degree with a GPA. Since you have at least some GPA, I think I'd just apply with your current stats, or else retake to try to have an even higher LSAT to cancel out your unconventional GPA situation.[/quote]

Wubbles

Bronze

Post by Wubbles » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:29 am

nicole1994 wrote:Mind sharing your transfer Path to YHS?

uote="Goldie"]If that's true, then law schools didn't look at my GPA either. And no, I wouldn't think you could backdate a class--I was just suggesting that, if you truly had *no* GPA, that it might be worth trying to turn your credits into a second degree with a GPA. Since you have at least some GPA, I think I'd just apply with your current stats, or else retake to try to have an even higher LSAT to cancel out your unconventional GPA situation.
[/quote]
Jfc....

Goldie

Bronze

Post by Goldie » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:19 am

michaeleid811 wrote:What did you get on your LSAT if it is okay for me to ask?
166. (I'm not sure how a non-URM 3.85/166 compares with a URM 3.5/169--that's a question for others.)
nicole1994 wrote:Mind sharing your transfer Path to YHS?
I don't think there was anything unique about my transfer path. I went to a ~T30 school and was #1 in my class after 1L. As far as I know, the schools I applied to transfer to only cared about my law school stats, not my undergrad. I at least didn't say much about my undergrad in my application.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”