Question on URM status Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Activefoxox

New

Question on URM status

Post by Activefoxox » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:00 pm

So I'm both Native American and Caucasian and I have some questions about my application for the 2019/2020 cycle. I'll be selecting both races on my application since I've always identified that way and I feel most comfortable doing that. I have a tribal number and ID, I've also received tribal scholarships throughout the past 4 years of undergrad, so I'm hoping that will be enough for the admissions committee. I have a 3.93 GPA and a 163 LSAT. My target school is Northwestern but I'm open to a lot of schools in the T20. Would you all think its an issue that I identify as both NA and Caucasian? Additionally, how do you all feel about my chances in the T14? Thanks!

QContinuum

Re: Question on URM status

Post by QContinuum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:20 pm

You're still a URM. But if you don't have an "obviously" Native American name/surname (e.g., your name's something along the lines of John Smith), then you should write a diversity statement discussing your Native American heritage and how it's shaped your experiences.

(And, to be clear, you should absolutely check both the Native American and Caucasian boxes given that that's consistent with both your ancestry and how you self-identify. Don't check only the Native American box.)

While the data is somewhat limited, it looks like you have a great shot from NYU and down. (I'd ignore the single Yale data point unless you have tremendous softs.) I'd apply to every school from NYU through Cornell, and then at least a few of the T20s depending on where you want to practice (e.g., if you don't want to work in CA, then exclude UCLA/USC; if you don't want to work in TX, exclude UT). Chicago and Columbia may be worth a shot but even if you get in, it will probably make a lot more sense to choose a "lower" T13 with $. Also, make sure to apply early for best results (i.e., before December - that means getting everything in before December, including letters of recommendation).

Best wishes!

Activefoxox

New

Re: Question on URM status

Post by Activefoxox » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:15 am

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your insight.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”