Help! Non-Traditional Applicant - What are my chances? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Rafmartyz

New

Help! Non-Traditional Applicant - What are my chances?

Post by Rafmartyz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:32 pm

Hey everyone,

I submitted my applications to 14 schools last week. I cast a wide net because I’m unsure whether my soft factors will make up for the other aspects of my application.

LSAT: 159 (couldn’t afford to take time off to study)
GPA: 3.8, double major in political science and philosophy, #1 in my class for both majors, thoroughly mediocre school (Old Dominion)

Soft Factors:
Veteran with 6 years of experience on active duty in the US Air Force (honorable discharge, service medals, respectable rank)
URM (Hispanic/Spanish/Puerto Rican)
First generation college student
3 solid LORs
2 honors societies, academic honors, deans list, secretary of philosophy club, dean’s student advisory council member

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES!? I know that my LSAT score sucks, but part of me is (perhaps naïvely) optimistic that all of the other aspects of my applications might improve my chances at the higher ranking schools. I applied to the following schools. I don’t expect to get into half of them, but it’s worth a shot. The G.I. Bill will cover the vast majority of tuition, so it’s not much of a factor for me.

Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
Boston
Arizona
William and Mary
Emory
Richmond
UVA
Wake Forest
Washington and Lee
Penn
Duke
Georgetown
George Washington

cavalier1138

Re: Help! Non-Traditional Applicant - What are my chances?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:20 am

What do you want to do with your degree?

Your URM status may yield some surprise admissions, but if your goals aren't attainable from the schools you do get, you need to retake the LSAT.

albanach

Gold

Re: Help! Non-Traditional Applicant - What are my chances?

Post by albanach » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:46 am

cavalier1138 wrote:you need to retake the LSAT.
I generally agree with this. While having school funded helps a lot, and can make lower ranked schools more viable, I think you'd be making a big mistake to apply now with that LSAT. You have a solid GPA. Match that with a solid LSAT - it probably doesn't have to be stellar given your URM status and military service, and you'll be attending amazing schools. And, like it or not, the name of your school will likely have a significant bearing on the rest of your legal career.

Even if it means taking another year out, it will be worth your while. That said, with a 159 now, you may well be able to get into the mid 160s before fall application season.

Recognizing the number of applicants covered here is tiny, here's what your application process could look like:

And here's what it likely looks like today:

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”