What are my chances of getting into the following law schools? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
101lawschool

New

What are my chances of getting into the following law schools?

Post by 101lawschool » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:54 pm

before I begin I know my scores nor GPA are great, no need to comment. moving past that what are my chances of getting into the following schools. I am an African American female, so URM and have a 145 LSAT and a 2.43 GPA I have applied for the following schools and I'm currently waiting to hear back. Do you think I will be accepted into any of these? I have already completed and submitted my apps. I would also appreciate any schools you think I may get into with these number. I am now waiting to hear back and am curious of what my chances may be as I know I am not a stellar candidate:

Barry Law
Thurgood MArshall School of Law
Florida A&M Law
North Carolina Central Law
Elon Law
Baltimore School of Law
Howard Law

Wubbles

Bronze

Re: What are my chances of getting into the following law schools?

Post by Wubbles » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:33 pm

If you go to law school with your stats and general disregard for location, you will be ruining your life.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:38 pm

You should not attend any school that will admit you with those numbers. They aren't law schools; they're scams. And you would be shelling out $300k for the privilege of likely not becoming a practicing lawyer.

Why do you want to go to law school? If your goals can be attained any other way, you shouldn't go at all.

jdcumlaude

New

Post by jdcumlaude » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:04 pm

You are preparing to ruin your life....unless you have a job waiting for you....and I am talking about a family member waiting to hire you...your life will be over upon graduation.

NCCU is your only option due to standards and cost. Elon should not be in your vocab....it should not even be a law school...In general my advice is to stay out of North Carolina in general.

Please put some time into researching these bottom level schools...I went to Campbell following a dream that I have had since high school of being a lawyer...now I am a public school teacher barely getting by...law school was the single biggest mistake of my life and my family (wife and child) are footing the bill for my mistakes.

I graduated with good grades, and passed the bar on the first attempt...I see many of my classmates on the doc review circuit when I work during the Summer. It is a terrifying sight to see. Do not become a part of it.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:44 pm

For my analysis, I assume OP is African American. If they are not, then the outlook is even bleaker:

Howard is the best school of that bunch insofar as hiring is concerned because you will see some - and I mean some in the single digits working at top law firms after graduation, but the odds are somewhere between 5-10% and this is if you get in, which is unlikely. I agree that with your GPA, you need to be at least 15 points higher LSAT wise as an African American applicant to make law school something other than a recklessly poor decision. If you were not URM, it would have to be at least 20-30 points higher.

I'm not going to regurgitate the point on job prospects, but something to consider that others haven't touched on is that statistically, your numbers indicate that you have a less than 50% chance of passing the bar exam. This is to say that even if you had a job waiting for you, the Vegas betting odds would suggest you would have to wait a few years after law school to be admitted. Now, that being said you are not a statistic and about 30% of those with your entering #'s do pass it on the first try so it's possible that you would but it's not a sure thing.

I think something many applicants fail to appreciate is that law schools want to admit African American applicants and will dip below their medians to do so. It is not all about the medians. For instance, a 3.5/160 applicant will have the same impact on a top-14 school's ranking as a 2.43/145 applicant. Yet, we consistently see the former get admitted to these schools. The reason for this is quite simply that the data makes it difficult for schools to in good faith accept the latter. There's a reason why the ABA threatens to pull accreditation if schools except too many applicants with sub-150 LSAT's. It's because the majority of them do not pass the bar and it makes the whole law school industry look like a scam.

The positive is that this is largely correctable. There's no indication that a student who starts with a 160 and stays there is better situated to pass the bar than a student who improves their score from a 145 to a 160. In fairness, it would be impossible to track such information unless they relied only on retakers (which would be too small of a sample size). However, the reality is that there are baseline comprehension skills required in law school and that anyone with a score beyond the mid-150's has. I also think that as an African American with a 160 you may get a top-14 school to bite and potentially very large scholarships further down, and then we'd be speaking about a totally different expected outcome.

If you need inspiration, consider this: the URM boost does not end with law school applications. You will also get preferential treatment when you apply for jobs and will not necessarily need the same grades to get the same opportunities. The issue is that your current numbers are so poor that being African American provides almost no advantage to you beyond allowing schools looking to take advantage of you to take advantage of you. While the ABA warns schools against taking applicants with a sub-150, some of these schools make the counterargument that exceptions should apply to diversify the legal industry. It's possible these schools are truly motivated by a desire to bring about positive social change, but it's also very possible that they are just taking advantage of people.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”