HELP! Non traditional Applicant - What are my chances? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Rafmartyz

New

HELP! Non traditional Applicant - What are my chances?

Post by Rafmartyz » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:38 am

Hey everyone,

I submitted my applications to 14 schools last week. I cast a wide net because I’m unsure whether my soft factors will make up for the other aspects of my application.

LSAT: 159 (couldn’t afford to take time off to study. I’m so poor that I got a fee waiver from LSAC)
GPA: 3.8, double major in political science and philosophy, #1 in my class for both majors, thoroughly mediocre school (Old Dominion)

Soft factors:
Veteran with 6 years of experience on active duty in the US Air Force. I was a fighter jet mechanic.

URM

First Generation college grad

3 solid LORs

2 honors societies, academic honors, deans list, secretary of philosophy club, dean’s student advisory council member

I applied to the following schools. I don’t expect to get into half of them, but it’s worth a shot. The G.I. Bill will cover the vast majority of tuition, so it’s not much of a factor for me.

Notre Dame
Vanderbilt
Boston
Arizona
William and Mary
Emory
Richmond
UVA
Wake Forest
Washington and Lee
Penn
Duke
Georgetown
George Washington

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES!? I know that my LSAT score sucks, but part of me hopes that all of the other factors should improve my odds at my top picks.

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”