Chance me 3.57 GPA & 170 LSAT Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
dassale1

New

Chance me 3.57 GPA & 170 LSAT

Post by dassale1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:25 pm

I have 4 years of experience working as a petroleum engineer. Can I get into HYS with 3.57 GPA ( petroleum engineering degree from UT ) and 170 LSAt score? I am a African American woman if that can help.

dknightisyoung

New

Re: Chance me 3.57 GPA & 170 LSAT

Post by dknightisyoung » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:04 am

I think that'll be hard. You'll need to write a killer PS. My friend had same GPA but several points higher on the LSAT but didn't get in, and he's URM. He got scholly though at lower T14 and is now going to graduate pretty much debt free at V20. Apply everywhere and if you don't get into Harvard that's all right. And if you do, that's totally awesome.

NegusDaHabesha

New

Post by NegusDaHabesha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:56 pm

I'm not sure I agree with the above post. From everyone I've met and talked to at Harvard, I would actually wager you have a better than decent shot with those stats, softs, and URM status. As a fellow URM applying this cycle I definitely encourage you to apply broadly (all t-14) and take advice on TLS and other forums with a grain of salt. Very few people actually know how this process works for URM applicants. I've already been granted acceptances to a few places TLS would have all but decidedly told me not to even waste my time applying. Good luck, and congrats on all your achievements thus far!!

trafalgar

New

Post by trafalgar » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:31 pm

Yea, you have a good chance at all 3. My GPA and LSAT were both lower than yours and I got into most T-14 schools with scholarships. HYS is a bit more of a wildcard but if you write a strong PS/DS then I would be shocked if you don't get at least 1.

dassale1

New

Post by dassale1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Thank you guys.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:52 am

I hate talking about race, but objectively speaking, an African-American with a 170 LSAT can get into practically any law school in America. You can definitely get into Columbia or NYU. Just write a solid personal statement.

And just for the record, I think you should stay in engineering. Lawyers are a dime a dozen in America. However, there aren't that many people in STEM fields, particularly women of color. Reconsider leaving engineering for law.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:11 pm

L_William_W wrote:I hate talking about race, but objectively speaking, an African-American with a 170 LSAT can get into practically any law school in America. You can definitely get into Columbia or NYU. Just write a solid personal statement.

And just for the record, I think you should stay in engineering. Lawyers are a dime a dozen in America. However, there aren't that many people in STEM fields, particularly women of color. Reconsider leaving engineering for law.

Are you suggesting there's decent diversity in biglaw?

dassale1

New

Post by dassale1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:59 pm

Thank you for your replies. I understand that engineering is a good field but I always wanted to be a lawyer. Do you believe that the law field is more diverse than the engineering field?

Also, what makes a strong personal statement? I really want to get into HYS!

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:34 pm

The legal field is far from diverse. However, there are A LOT more black female attorneys than black female engineers. I was an engineering major, but switched majors because I had problems with math. To this day, I regret not grinding it out. Now, I owe $130,000 in student loans and am stuck in the legal field that I despise. All lawyers do is scheme against each other and use a lot of profanity.

Don't make my mistake. Stay in engineering.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:50 pm

L_William_W wrote:Now, I owe $130,000 in student loans and am stuck in the legal field that I despise. All lawyers do is scheme against each other and use a lot of profanity.

Don't make my mistake. Stay in engineering.
Dude, we get it. You went to a bad school, failed the bar a few times, and now you do doc review. I'm too lazy to see if you sought application advice here before getting yourself in this mess, but I think most people could have predicted those outcomes.

The OP will not be in your shoes. She may want to consider how much she really wants to be a lawyer before committing to law school, but if she does apply, she will not be choosing among schools with that kind of job outcome.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”