166/3.8+ - retake? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Thelawsklkidd

New

166/3.8+ - retake?

Post by Thelawsklkidd » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:53 am

Hey all! My first post here as I’m applying for the 19-20 cycle, and wanted some input. I’m an AAmale and my current stats are placed above. I’m nearing the end of my undergrad career, and am really conflicted on if I should retake in July or just let the cards fall where they may. I plan on submitting the very first day applications are open, and plan on starting my applications in June when school is over. I have pretty good softs I think, working in the legal headquarters of a fortune 50 company in NY, living most of my childhood overseas in two different continents growing up, as well as some research experience and a year of W/E as a social justice educator at my school.

Although my LSAT is quite a bit lower than my PTs, I’m wondering if it’s worth the money and possibility of scoring worse, or not? I scored a couple points lower on my first to.

At this point, I do plan on retaking, but perhaps it may not be necesswry. My top choice is Duke atm, where my father is in an admin at the undergrad school, so it’s likely that will help. What are your thoughts? Thanks! :)

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: 166/3.8+ - retake?

Post by L_William_W » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:00 pm

I hate talking about race, but based on those stats, you're a lock for practically any law school in the country, with the possible exception of Harvard or Yale. The softs definitely help. Write a decent personal statement and you're in. I'd still retake to be on the safe side.

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:11 pm

I am very curious if anyone else will disagree but I think you're a likely shoe-in at Duke. Especially with your URM status, connections and soft-legal background, I would be FLOORED if you didn't get in at Duke.

That said, URM cycles can be very unpredictable. I had very similar stats to you, though unfortunately I didn't apply to Duke so can't help you with that. But the highest school I got into offered me a hefty scholarship. More than some of the lower ranked schools I applied to. FWIW, I didn't have the "softs" that you have, so I have no doubt you would outperform me.

That is to say, since you will probably end up with plenty of fee waivers, apply broadly just in case. I'd coat any T14 school that you think would be interested in attending. (Maybe you get into Duke but UVA offers you a bunch of money, for example). I would hesitate to say you're "a lock" for all of the T14, but you may well get into literally all of them with your stats.

If I were you, I wouldn't retake unless you think you can do demonstrably better and really want to go to HYS. Doing better can also improve your chances of getting great scholarships. But as someone who barely studied the first time, and then studied hard the second time and actually did a point worse lol (bad day), I'm not as #AlwaysRetakeNoMatterWhat as some of my fellow TLSers. Not sure if there's a wrong answer though. Best of luck to you!

Thelawsklkidd

New

Post by Thelawsklkidd » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:17 pm

clarion wrote:I am very curious if anyone else will disagree but I think you're a likely shoe-in at Duke. Especially with your URM status, connections and soft-legal background, I would be FLOORED if you didn't get in at Duke.

That said, URM cycles can be very unpredictable. I had very similar stats to you, though unfortunately I didn't apply to Duke so can't help you with that. But the highest school I got into offered me a hefty scholarship. More than some of the lower ranked schools I applied to. FWIW, I didn't have the "softs" that you have, so I have no doubt you would outperform me.

That is to say, since you will probably end up with plenty of fee waivers, apply broadly just in case. I'd coat any T14 school that you think would be interested in attending. (Maybe you get into Duke but UVA offers you a bunch of money, for example). I would hesitate to say you're "a lock" for all of the T14, but you may well get into literally all of them with your stats.

If I were you, I wouldn't retake unless you think you can do demonstrably better and really want to go to HYS. Doing better can also improve your chances of getting great scholarships. But as someone who barely studied the first time, and then studied hard the second time and actually did a point worse lol (bad day), I'm not as #AlwaysRetakeNoMatterWhat as some of my fellow TLSers. Not sure if there's a wrong answer though. Best of luck to you!
Thanks for the reply and insight! If you don't mind, what were you stats applying to GULC?

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:03 pm

You're already in great shape, but if you underperformed on test day you're really only out the time and money to do maintenance training for a retake. 5 more right answers makes you one of the most attractive candidates in the entire pool instead of "just" extremely attractive.

denise137

New

Post by denise137 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:26 pm

Agree with clarion. I applied to Duke (via priority track) this cycle and got in. 161, 3.8 AA woman. I think you're absolutely going to get in if mylsn is any indication https://mylsn.info/z5q7wr/

clarion

Bronze

Post by clarion » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 pm

Thelawsklkidd wrote:
clarion wrote:I am very curious if anyone else will disagree but I think you're a likely shoe-in at Duke. Especially with your URM status, connections and soft-legal background, I would be FLOORED if you didn't get in at Duke.

Thanks for the reply and insight! If you don't mind, what were you stats applying to GULC?
Not sure if you still need an answer here, but I was a 164/3.89.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”