AA MALE 3.1/163 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MoSalah32

New

AA MALE 3.1/163

Post by MoSalah32 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:57 am

aa male with a 163 and re-taking in a month applying this cycle. Weak softs

Any shot at Boston College/Boston University? Hoping to stay in the Northeast but honestly open to BigLaw pretty much anywhere

MoSalah32

New

Re: AA MALE 3.1/163

Post by MoSalah32 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:40 pm

Jeez this forum is dead. Is there even a URM cycle thread for 2018/19? Whats going on every past year URMs on TLS have done this where errybody at?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Looks like you should actually be applying to the lower T13 (NYU, Penn, Michigan, UVA, NW) and the T20 - you have great odds at Vandy and WUSTL in particular.

BU and BC look surprisingly splitter-unfriendly, though certainly realistic to apply if you'd like to go to school in Boston. (But I wouldn't advise taking BU/BC over a T13 or T20.)

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:55 am

There's going to be an additional boost for an AA male. I'd apply everywhere from 4 down if you can get fee waivers.

dirtynef

New

Post by dirtynef » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:32 am

AA male friend of mine applied last cycle with a 3.0 and 164. He got into Michigan with $100K. Waitlisted at CLS and denied at Harvard. That being said, he applied late (around January). Also had really strong softs. Your gpa is the same as mine, so this is very relevant to me lol. Keep us updated!

NegusDaHabesha

New

Post by NegusDaHabesha » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:52 pm

MoSalah32 wrote:Jeez this forum is dead. Is there even a URM cycle thread for 2018/19? Whats going on every past year URMs on TLS have done this where errybody at?
I've been thinking that. I have used this forum extensively in the last two years, and I learned a lot from past URM threads. Maybe we should make one?

NegusDaHabesha

New

Post by NegusDaHabesha » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Also I hope you ended up applying to the t14. As a URM, you are competitive at most schools. I have marginally better stats and have been very fortunate this cycle. But if you're set on BC or BU I think you could go for close to free

dirtynef

New

Post by dirtynef » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:30 pm

NegusDaHabesha wrote:Also I hope you ended up applying to the t14. As a URM, you are competitive at most schools. I have marginally better stats and have been very fortunate this cycle. But if you're set on BC or BU I think you could go for close to free
What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking? Like you said, TLS seems to be pretty dead now when it comes to AA threads and I'd really like to see some info to compare myself to

NegusDaHabesha

New

Post by NegusDaHabesha » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:33 pm

dirtynef wrote:
NegusDaHabesha wrote:Also I hope you ended up applying to the t14. As a URM, you are competitive at most schools. I have marginally better stats and have been very fortunate this cycle. But if you're set on BC or BU I think you could go for close to free
What are your stats, if you don't mind me asking? Like you said, TLS seems to be pretty dead now when it comes to AA threads and I'd really like to see some info to compare myself to

Yeah man I totally understand. I want more AA's to know that top law schools are well within their reach! I applied this cycle with a 3.41 LSAC GPA and a 165 LSAT with strong softs and relevant work experience. You can check my previous posts to see where I've been admitted, but long story short most people on this site would call it "outperforming my numbers" (which I think is BS). If anyone reads this and wants to PM me for more info, I want to help any and all URM's that I can.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”