SOUTH AMERICAN NOT A URM? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
srg1027

New

Questions surrounding ethnicity

Post by srg1027 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi everyone. So I am filling out my LCAS and wondering if I should check both SOUTH AMERICAN and CAUCASIAN since I am both, but am wondering if me checking white along with South American will somehow lower my claim of being SOUTH AMERICAN. Also, apparently South American isn't a URM so what does that mean?????

srg1027

New

SOUTH AMERICAN NOT A URM?

Post by srg1027 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi everyone. I am filling out my LSAC and researching a whole bunch of things and just found out that SOUTH AMERICAN is not considered a URM. What does this mean in relation to affirmative action? I am upset because although some people may consider it right or wrong, I was under the impression I would have some sort of advantage in terms of getting into schools because I am from Chile.

QContinuum

Re: SOUTH AMERICAN NOT A URM?

Post by QContinuum » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:13 pm

srg1027 wrote:Hi everyone. I am filling out my LSAC and researching a whole bunch of things and just found out that SOUTH AMERICAN is not considered a URM. What does this mean in relation to affirmative action? I am upset because although some people may consider it right or wrong, I was under the impression I would have some sort of advantage in terms of getting into schools because I am from Chile.
Moved this to the URM forum and merged your two closely related threads.

If you're not a URM, you won't benefit from affirmative action. I'm sorry you're upset, but you're not going to be able to get law school adcoms to give you a special exception. Focus on doing what you can by strengthening your application as much as possible - polish your PS, make sure you're getting LORs from the best references possible, maximize your performance on the LSAT as much as possible, retaking if needed. And if you haven't received your first Bachelor's degree yet, focus on maximizing your GPA - you can update schools if your GPA increases while your application is under consideration.
srg1027 wrote:Hi everyone. So I am filling out my LCAS and wondering if I should check both SOUTH AMERICAN and CAUCASIAN since I am both, but am wondering if me checking white along with South American will somehow lower my claim of being SOUTH AMERICAN. Also, apparently South American isn't a URM so what does that mean?????
You should be candid in your applications. Since you are both South American and Caucasian, you should check both boxes.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”