What chance do I have at UChicago, Yale, Cornell and UVA? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
watchlover20

New

What chance do I have at UChicago, Yale, Cornell and UVA?

Post by watchlover20 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 pm

I'm a black male with a 3.5 GPA and 167 LSAT. his summer and last summer, I did payed research internships at Stanford (they were not law related, but I've heard that law schools like to see people with research experience and I could get a recommendation from the professor I did research with). I don't know how much schools would care, but I also studied abroad in Germany where all of my classes were in German, so I am now fluent in German. The only extracurricular I really have is taking piano lessons, and although I'm an advanced student I'm not an exceptional or noteworthy player. Do I have any chance at getting into UChicago, Yale, Cornell or UVA?

mmac

New

Re: What chance do I have at UChicago, Yale, Cornell and UVA?

Post by mmac » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:07 pm

It looks like you should have a good shot at the some top schools: http://mylsn.info/oe6w5e/ Good luck!

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:42 am

You should definitely apply. Sorry but I can’t help myself- it’s paid not payed. I keep seeing this and it’s a red flag regarding your work product. Get out of the habit of misspelling this verb.

lana merakai

New

Post by lana merakai » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:29 pm

I think you have a great shot- I graduated from Northwestern Law and I had a 177 on my LSAT. But I knew a much of classmates that scored in the 169 or 170 who were minorities and were admitted. However, if you can retake the LSAT, I highly rec you do because it will give your more access to money.

HillandHollow

Bronze

Post by HillandHollow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:30 am

Short answer: yes. Medium answer: retake if you think you can beat that LSAT and if you want to try for more scholarship.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:45 pm

mmac wrote:It looks like you should have a good shot at the some top schools: http://mylsn.info/oe6w5e/ Good luck!
These statistics are based on one or two people. I wouldn’t take that as reliable info.
I think OP should apply but definitely study correctly and retake. OP has nothing to lose by a retake and could definitely improve their chances even by improving a few points.
As other people have said, URM cycles are unpredictable. The one thing OP can do to improve their chances and get more scholarship money is to retake for a better score.
I’m not convinced that 90% of people study correctly for their first take and I’m assuming that’s true for OP.
The other thing to do is get as much assistance as possible in preparing flawless applications- which takes a good dal of hard work- and applying early.

Go Nats!

New

Post by Go Nats! » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:35 pm

You don't need to retake unless you desperately want to go to HYS or if you want to get fin aid. I had worse numbers than you - a lower GPA and a 165 LSAT - and I was waitlisted at Cornell and was in at UVA. URM cycles are weird but with those numbers you have a chance at great schools.

P.S. I also speak some German. Such a cool language

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:44 pm

Go Nats! wrote:You don't need to retake unless you desperately want to go to HYS or if you want to get fin aid. I had worse numbers than you - a lower GPA and a 165 LSAT - and I was waitlisted at Cornell and was in at UVA. URM cycles are weird but with those numbers you have a chance at great schools.

P.S. I also speak some German. Such a cool language
Why would OP not want to get scholarships? I don’t understand advising OP not to retake when it’s their single best by far chance of improving their outcomes.

The LSAT is learnable and with some studying OP could improve their application and their finances.

Go Nats!

New

Post by Go Nats! » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:02 am

If he wants to get into these schools - with the exception of Yale - he already has the numbers to have a decent chance of getting in. I'm not going to recommend retaking in that case. OP, pump that number up to 170 or above and then I think the world will be your oyster when it comes to getting money and getting into HYS.

I don't want to get too much into my philosophy on this, but I won't advise someone to retake if I think they're already close or have already met their goals. And for the most part, OP has. He's got the numbers he needs to likely succeed.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:33 am

Go Nats! wrote:If he wants to get into these schools - with the exception of Yale - he already has the numbers to have a decent chance of getting in. I'm not going to recommend retaking in that case. OP, pump that number up to 170 or above and then I think the world will be your oyster when it comes to getting money and getting into HYS.

I don't want to get too much into my philosophy on this, but I won't advise someone to retake if I think they're already close or have already met their goals. And for the most part, OP has. He's got the numbers he needs to likely succeed.
You think he has maxed out any scholarship money and acceptances with these numbers?

Go Nats!

New

Post by Go Nats! » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:49 am

I understand the point you're making but his question wasn't whether he'd maxed out his scholarship offers or acceptances. It was whether he has a chance at attending a specific set of schools. That's the goal he articulated. The answer to that question is yes, he does have a chance, with Yale being a bit of a reach. In fact, he has slightly better numbers than I did and I was accepted at one of these schools!

As I already said, I'd advise OP to only retake if (1) he wants to enhance his chances at getting into Yale (2) wants to max out scholarship opportunities, and I'll add this final one, (3) based on his prior studying he believes he didn't do as well on the LSAT as he could have. That's it. If I were him and had the goals he articulated I wouldn't take it again.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”