URM: 2.69 G.P.A. & 170 LSAT (unofficial) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Admitted?

New

URM: 2.69 G.P.A. & 170 LSAT (unofficial)

Post by Admitted? » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:17 am

Given my information listed below, I have two questions:

(1) What are my chances for gaining law-school acceptance to a school ranked anywhere from twenty to fifty?

(2) How else can I strengthen my prospective profile, building a strong law-school application?

P.S. I am passionate about appellate law.

HARD
2.69 G.P.A. (Bachelor Degree in Social Work) (HBCU)
170 LSAT (unofficial)

SOFTS
Master's Degree in Public Administration - G.P.A. 3.66

LEGAL WRITING | WRITING
~ Pre-Law post-grad course: Legal Research & Writing - G.P.A. 4.0
~ Paralegal post-grad course: Legal Writing and Research - G.P.A. 4.0
~ Core grammar for lawyers Pre-Test, 93%; Post-Test, 91%
~ The Bluebook: Interactive Citation Workbook Exercises, 88%
~ Wrote seven memoranda for a course from Arizona State University, receiving 4.0/4.0 Grades; memorandum elected as a writing sample for all ASU’s students

LEGAL INTERNSHIP
~ Campaign to Elect Christopher J. McFadden, Judge, Court of Appeals of Georgia
~ appellate law
~ Solo Practitioner
~ Consumer Law

ENTREPRENEURSHIP & PRIVATE SECTOR
~ Small-Business Owner: Two businesses (five years each)
~ Own a trademark --Word mark
~ Six years private-sector experience

PUBLIC SECTOR & NONPROFIT
~ FL DCF:. Child Protective Service Investigator, appearing in court and interacting with attorneys, guardian ad litems, and judges
~ Project Hope: FEMA grant-funded position for Cental FL tornadoes
~ Three years work experience

VOLUNTEER & FREELANCE
~ Freelance Résumé Writer | Career Advisor (twenty-three years)

L_William_W

Bronze

Re: URM: 2.69 G.P.A. & 170 LSAT (unofficial)

Post by L_William_W » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:47 pm

If you write a kick ass personal statement then you MIGHT have a chance at Columbia or NYU. You can definitely get into a mid-tier law school like CUNY Law School in NYC.

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:08 pm

I hope you do well this cycle. I'm black with similar stats (172 LSAT/2.77 GPA).

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:17 pm

Unsure what you mean by "unofficial" LSAT. Does that mean you haven't actually scored a 170, or that you'll be retaking? Either way, if you're AA you'll get into a T20 and honestly might even sneak into a lower T13.

Admitted?

New

Post by Admitted? » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:16 am

L_William_W wrote:If you write a kick ass personal statement then you MIGHT have a chance at Columbia or NYU. You can definitely get into a mid-tier law school like CUNY Law School in NYC.
Thanks.

I definitely need a great personal statement.

Admitted?

New

Post by Admitted? » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:18 am

jgloster wrote:I hope you do well this cycle. I'm black with similar stats (172 LSAT/2.77 GPA).
Thanks.

I plan to apply next cycle.

Admitted?

New

Post by Admitted? » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:41 am

SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:Unsure what you mean by "unofficial" LSAT. Does that mean you haven't actually scored a 170, or that you'll be retaking? Either way, if you're AA you'll get into a T20 and honestly might even sneak into a lower T13.
Thanks.

Unofficial for me means a targeted score, according to my practice test. I plan to write the LSAT next year.

As a nontraditional applicant, I am debt averse. Therefore, scholarship amount will weigh more heavily than sneaking into a lower T13 at sticker price, as an AA. If perhaps, I did sneak into lower T13, that school (those schools, wishful thinking using those) would have to offer scholarship $$. The ideal school would range between T20-T50 with scholarship $$.

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:37 am

Admitted? wrote:
SomewhatLearnedHand wrote:Unsure what you mean by "unofficial" LSAT. Does that mean you haven't actually scored a 170, or that you'll be retaking? Either way, if you're AA you'll get into a T20 and honestly might even sneak into a lower T13.
Thanks.

Unofficial for me means a targeted score, according to my practice test. I plan to write the LSAT next year.

As a nontraditional applicant, I am debt averse. Therefore, scholarship amount will weigh more heavily than sneaking into a lower T13 at sticker price, as an AA. If perhaps, I did sneak into lower T13, that school (those schools, wishful thinking using those) would have to offer scholarship $$. The ideal school would range between T20-T50 with scholarship $$.
For most T14, a 3.6 is even considered on the lower end. I think you should shoot for above 170. 2.69 is considered a really bad GPA even in a very hard major like aerospace engineering or physics/math.

SomewhatLearnedHand

Bronze

Post by SomewhatLearnedHand » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:50 am

Synapse2018 wrote:
Admitted? wrote:
Thanks.

For most T14, a 3.6 is even considered on the lower end. I think you should shoot for above 170. 2.69 is considered a really bad GPA even in a very hard major like aerospace engineering or physics/math.
I agree, but looking at mylsn numbers there have been AA that get in the lower t-13 with 170 / 2.7. By no means a guarantee, but might be worth throwing out an app.

Belkin0238

New

Post by Belkin0238 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:19 am

Admitted? wrote:
L_William_W wrote:If you write a kick ass personal statement then you MIGHT have a chance at Columbia or NYU. You can definitely get into a mid-tier law school like CUNY Law School in NYC.
Thanks.

If Columbia or NYU do not work I would not default to CUNY Law. You have other good schools higher ranked than CUNY that won't hurt your chances of employment. For example Cardozo Fordham and Brooklyn. CUNY and NYLS dont place as well and the whole point of this is to get a job in the end.

Admitted?

New

Post by Admitted? » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:35 am

Belkin0238 wrote:
Admitted? wrote:
Thanks.

If Columbia or NYU do not work I would not default to CUNY Law. You have other good schools higher ranked than CUNY that won't hurt your chances of employment. For example Cardozo Fordham and Brooklyn. CUNY and NYLS dont place as well and the whole point of this is to get a job in the end.
I like Fordham as another option if neither Columbia nor NYU works.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”