Chances of getting off waitlist in the summer? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mjb77

New

Chances of getting off waitlist in the summer?

Post by mjb77 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:21 am

So the title pretty much sums up my question. What is the likely hood of someone getting off a waitlist after June? Does being a urm help?

ExperssioUnius

Bronze

Re: Chances of getting off waitlist in the summer?

Post by ExperssioUnius » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:16 pm

The likelihood is very low at this point. How low depends on what quality school are you are talking about. The higher ranked the school, the lower the chance of movement because there are not many higher ranked schools for already admitted people to move up to. If heard of a few people getting off waitlists this late in the cycle by accepting a deferred admission for the following year. So that may be something to think about depending on your next best option.

UM2014

New

Post by UM2014 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:16 pm

ExperssioUnius wrote:The likelihood is very low at this point. How low depends on what quality school are you are talking about. The higher ranked the school, the lower the chance of movement because there are not many higher ranked schools for already admitted people to move up to. If heard of a few people getting off waitlists this late in the cycle by accepting a deferred admission for the following year. So that may be something to think about depending on your next best option.
This ^ is just not the case.HLS, NYU & CLS have all had large WL waves in the past week and a half to 2 weeks, & GULC has indicated movement coming soon. Movement at those will also trickle down to those below them.

Information on this is widely available from numerous posts on the r/lawschooladmissions subreddit

mjb77

New

Post by mjb77 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:54 am

Thank you both for your response. I'm referring to a few tier 2 schools I have been waitlisted at. I've been staying in contact with a few admissions officers, which I hope will help my chances. I'm also wondering what my chances of being offered any financial aid are. I've heard of people receiving money off of the waitlist but I'm not sure how often that happens. For my top choice school, I wrote a letter of continued interest that expressed how deeply I want to attend that school. Will that strong interest hinder me from receiving money?

Halltheway

New

Post by Halltheway » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:06 am

Any movement?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”