As a URM.. Where should we go? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Jimlaw123

New

As a URM.. Where should we go?

Post by Jimlaw123 » Thu May 17, 2018 4:13 pm

I’ve gotten into a few law schools, and have been waitlisted at a few others... The schools I wanted to go to, did not take me, but many that are in the East Coadt are giving me a chance.

Last year I got into Howard, and a few other schools. I’ve met Howard graduates since then, and many I have met are doing well. But I was told on this forum, it’d be a bad choice. I’ve met friends at went to UC’s that are URM, and have brought me back horror stories, and haven’t found law jobs 1-2 years after graduation.. No real “ Almuni connection”, since they’re not the right shade as 95% of the alumni.

I know the legal profession only have 4% URM’s in it.

So, my honest question to those that graduated, still at law school, or those thinking.. Where are schools we should attend that are good to us? Which schools are a headache we should avoid?, and if you don’t want to feel like a “ token”, and deal with all that guff, where should we go?

( Would love any discourse, since I spoke with a friend of mjne at a top14 school, and he lamented that he maybe should’ve gone to another one... When he realized less than 1% of the alumni were URM’s)

animalpeople

New

Re: As a URM.. Where should we go?

Post by animalpeople » Thu May 17, 2018 9:31 pm

You should go to the law school that makes sense for you financially and socially. I am a URM in law school but I stick to myself and found a job through a minority career fair so I can't really speak to alumni connections at my school. However, I encourage you to reach out to students through affinity groups at the schools you're considering to get their perspective.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”