AA Male 3.1 GPA 162 LSAT Business Management Major Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
No1funnymon

New

AA Male 3.1 GPA 162 LSAT Business Management Major

Post by No1funnymon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:46 pm

Applying this cycle in the Jan/Feb since I am taking the Feb LSAT. My most recent practice test was a 162.
GPA is low due to one semester which I had a disability that rendered me unable to continue or apply for medical withdrawal so I received 5 F's. Addressed in C&F Addendum's because it resulted in an academic warning status.
That semester aside I'd be graduating in the top 9% of my class.
A's in all my law classes and shows an upward trend.
I worked multiple jobs at least 30+ hours a week my entire college career.
Work experience: modeling/acting on live TV and commercials, started a business, tutored D1 athletes, worked in homeless shelter assisting with job placement
14 month of full-time work as an underwriter in health insurance
My goal is to go UCLA, USC, or Loyola.

What do you think my chances are? Any recommendations on how to address my GPA issue and/or medical issue?

TripleM

Bronze

Re: AA Male 3.1 GPA 162 LSAT Business Management Major

Post by TripleM » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm

It seems like you've already addressed it in your CFf. I applaud your hard work. You softs, while worthy of respect, are nothing that will set you apart. They are what most would consider "average". Your applications are going in very late, which convention holds isn't good for folks with poor numbers (I count myself in that category). My best advice is throw out some applications if you insist, but focus your energy on next cycle. Take the Feb., but assume that you're going to be taking the June as well. Begin work on you PS for next year. As a 3.1 164 you'd possibly get some play from lower T14 if your app went in earlier.

A lot of this also depends on what your goals/plans are. What kind of career are you hoping for? That will dictate which schools you need to pursue which will, in turn, dictate what your plans should be.

cuzzydunlop

New

Re: AA Male 3.1 GPA 162 LSAT Business Management Major

Post by cuzzydunlop » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:22 pm

No1funnymon wrote:Applying this cycle in the Jan/Feb since I am taking the Feb LSAT. My most recent practice test was a 162.
GPA is low due to one semester which I had a disability that rendered me unable to continue or apply for medical withdrawal so I received 5 F's. Addressed in C&F Addendum's because it resulted in an academic warning status.
That semester aside I'd be graduating in the top 9% of my class.
A's in all my law classes and shows an upward trend.
I worked multiple jobs at least 30+ hours a week my entire college career.
Work experience: modeling/acting on live TV and commercials, started a business, tutored D1 athletes, worked in homeless shelter assisting with job placement
14 month of full-time work as an underwriter in health insurance
My goal is to go UCLA, USC, or Loyola.

What do you think my chances are? Any recommendations on how to address my GPA issue and/or medical issue?
Focus on the LSAT. All this other stuff is secondary. As an AA, if you can pull off a mid-160, you have a good shot to almost any non-T6 (and even there, you have a puncher's chance). If you can mirror your 162 PT average, I think you've got a shot at UCLA.

But really, try to get the best score possible. Every point is worth thousands of dollars.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”