How have/did you prep for the LSAT? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
zil020511

New

How have/did you prep for the LSAT?

Post by zil020511 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:07 pm

Options are:
Self study(SS)
Online course + SS
Live in person + SS

Also any thing you did to handle test anxiety? (Meditation, motivational videos, etc)

TripleM

Bronze

Re: How have/did you prep for the LSAT?

Post by TripleM » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:27 pm

My weak spot is LG and so I started by reading Mike Kim's LSAT Trainer which helped me understand some fundamentals about LG and other sections. Eventually I added 7Sage, which I felt was well worth it. The "Blind Review" method they teach fundamentally changed how I approach studying even beyond the LSAT. Their discussion boards are also great.

As far as other intangibles... First, be extremely strict about practice tests. Use an app with a test proctor (7Sage offers a free one). Don't allow yourself to fill in even a single bubble after time's up. There were several PTs where I forgot to bubble in answers and that was a good learning experience.

I did meditate daily and listened to the Hamilton soundtrack often.. "I got a scholarship to King's College!" I didn't, but I did apply to Columbia (formerly King's College) in hopes of being able to post that line.

The best advice I have is that you should focus on your weak spots. I am horrible at LG and so that's where 80% of my time goes. It's the old Michael Jordan free throws thing. Make your weak spot your strength.

lgsb2014

New

Post by lgsb2014 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:58 pm

zil020511 wrote:Options are:
Self study(SS)
Online course + SS
Live in person + SS

Also any thing you did to handle test anxiety? (Meditation, motivational videos, etc)
Hi There.

I would highly recommend 7sage and self study. I initially started with Testmasters (which I do not recommend) and ended up finding 7 sage a little too late into my studying. Make sure you understand each lesson thoroughly before proceeding. Have the fundamentals down. Work hard but take breaks as you need. I handled text anxiety by not becoming too consumed with the thought of the exam (and ended up scoring higher on the exam than on my PTs). I went in thinking it's just another test. I used YouTube Michael Sealey hypnosis/meditations as well as The Honest Bros (I think that's the name).
Good Luck!

Bronze

Post by 38981928 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm

I did Testmasters which was good for forcing me to take actual timed PTs with other people (because you really can't control other people's coughing, tapping, etc etc during the real thing) and forcing me to stick to a study plan. Otherwise I think I would've gone randomly and not covered everything I need to cover in terms of basic strategies, and this was particularly important for me with LG. However, nothing helped me as much as drilling every free moment I had, blind review + LG review with 7sage, and the Fox Logical Reasoning book. I didn't focus on RC so much because even from my diagnostic I was -2 (and throughout my practicing time I never got more than -5), but I did make sure to read "boring" books and articles every day. I also made sure to make time to exercise every single day, whether it was a HIIT workout or something chill like yoga. The physical exercise helped a lot with releasing a lot of tension I felt from the hours upon hours of studying after working a full day (often with overtime).

zil020511

New

Post by zil020511 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:17 pm

Thank you all for replying! For those who did TM, did you use their online course or live person? Also, I agree 7sage is very good with their explanations and strategies especially with LG.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”