Black Male, 3.3GPA 152 LSAT Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
jejose2

New

Black Male, 3.3GPA 152 LSAT

Post by jejose2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi all first time poster.

I'm a black male 3.3 GPA from a Top 20 UG University. Taken the LSAT 3 Times highest score I could manage was a 152. Not a very good standardized test taker. I would take it 4 times but at this point I would like to move on with my life. 2 years working at Fortune 500 right after graduation with promotions and LOR's from Managers and Professors. T-14 is a plus, but not the end all be all for me. Moreso looking at big southern regional schools like UGA and UNC (Top Choice).

Any advice, tips, concerns? Could really use y'alls insight.

Prudence

New

Re: Black Male, 3.3GPA 152 LSAT

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:41 pm

jejose2 wrote:Hi all first time poster.

I'm a black male 3.3 GPA from a Top 20 UG University. Taken the LSAT 3 Times highest score I could manage was a 152. Not a very good standardized test taker. I would take it 4 times but at this point I would like to move on with my life. 2 years working at Fortune 500 right after graduation with promotions and LOR's from Managers and Professors. T-14 is a plus, but not the end all be all for me. Moreso looking at big southern regional schools like UGA and UNC (Top Choice).

Just wondering have you looked into a lsat teat prep company? Blueprint lsat was great for me ! Although I would say test prep courses will help you lay the foundation and understand the test a bit better.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Being black will definitely help. Stats aren't that good, so your essays and letters need to be on point. Just apply. If you don't like the results, retake.

jejose2

New

Post by jejose2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:47 pm

Prudence wrote:

Just wondering have you looked into a lsat teat prep company? Blueprint lsat was great for me ! Although I would say test prep courses will help you lay the foundation and understand the test a bit better.
I've used private tutors. They helped to an extent maybe it's time a invest in a class. Only problem with classes is lump sum payment at the beginning. There was a bit more flexibility with tutors in terms of payment.

feralflamingo

Bronze

Post by feralflamingo » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:58 pm

Working at that Fortune 500 sounds a lot better to me than law school at the point you're at, but besides that how many practice tests have you taken? Do you take full ones?
Last edited by feralflamingo on Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:00 pm

jejose2 wrote:
Prudence wrote:

I've used private tutors. They helped to an extent maybe it's time a invest in a class. Only problem with classes is lump sum payment at the beginning. There was a bit more flexibility with tutors in terms of payment.
I know blueprint allowed for monthly payment plans so 3 payments of $500 which is still pricey but an option is you’re considering retaking which you should if u want a solid shot at t-14. Typically people with 170+ do some kind of self study as well but i got a 164 (with a diagnostic of 147) so i am not an lsat pro but with a 3.8 i have a shot as an AA female. Check out some thread ms on how to break 170 as well Since those are pretty helpful too!

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm

I know it sucks, but you should retake. I firmly believe anyone can get at least a 160+ with enough effort. Especially you, coming from a T20 undergrad. I self studied from a 154 diagnostic to 159 September LSAT to 168 December LSAT. I would recommend 7sage, it is a good deal and they have the best methods imo. With a 163 I think you would have a solid shot at the T13. Just study until it clicks, there will be a breakthrough for you!

Eman1994

New

Post by Eman1994 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Don't rule out a 4th take man. I took the LSAT three times from December 2015 to December 2016 and scored a 156, 158, and a 159. I too was discouraged and thought I couldn't do any better. However, upon receiving some good advice (and having a lackluster cycle last year), I decided to take the test again and reapply. After drilling logic games for months and studying the PowerScore Reading Comprehension Bible I brought my score up to a 167. Now im sitting on an acceptance from Georgetown (which was my dream school that I got rejected from last cycle), a 150K scholly from Tulane, and 105K from Florida. I'm still waiting on like 17 schools to respond though (I applied to the entire T14 plus UCLA, USC, GW, and LSU). I'm so glad I didn't give up on the test because I knew I could do better and get the results I wanted. The LSAT is a learnable test and as you see yourself improve it can actually become somewhat enjoyable.
Last edited by Eman1994 on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:59 pm

You can probably get into those schools. UGA/UNC. (maybe).

But it would be at full price. Is cost a factor?

jejose2

New

Post by jejose2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:12 pm

AaronCarter wrote:You can probably get into those schools. UGA/UNC. (maybe).

But it would be at full price. Is cost a factor?
Cost is a factor. TBH if it is full price, I may just wait till the next cycle and finally invest in a course. Def want to leave with the least amount of debt possible.

jejose2

New

Post by jejose2 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Eman1994 wrote:

Don't rule out a 4th take man. I took the LSAT three times from December 2015 to December 2016 and scored a 156, 158, and a 159. I too was discouraged and thought I couldn't do any better. However, upon receiving some good advice (and having a lackluster cycle last year), I decided to take the test again and reapply. After drilling logic games for months and studying the PowerScore Reading Comprehension Bible I brought my score up to a 167. Now in sitting on an acceptance from Georgetown (which was my dream school that I got rejected from last cycle), a 150K school from Tulane, and 105K from Florida. I'm still waiting on like 17 schools to respond though (I applied to the entire T14 plus UCLA, USC, GW, and LSU). I'm so glad I didn't give up on the test because I knew I could do better and get the results I wanted. The LSAT is a learnable test and as you see yourself improve it can actually become somewhat enjoyable.
depending on what schools i get into and how much they're giving I'll eat the rejection and invest in a LSAT course. I've been using private tutors for the most part maybe that will help.

Barack O'Drama

Gold

Post removed...

Post by Barack O'Drama » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:21 pm

Post removed...

mjb77

New

Post by mjb77 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:32 pm

Any acceptances? I'm in a similar boat

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 pm

Don't waste your URM status. Retake.

Barexamny22

New

Post by Barexamny22 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:42 pm

The correct answer depends on what your priority is. I took the LSAT three times while working full-time and studying for it only on Sundays (my only day off). On the third try I knew that I would not want to take it again because I could not afford to not work and study full time. I got a 149 LSAT score, and a 3.2 GPA. I am Latina and the first in my family to attend college. I certainly believe that my GPA and my LSAT score would have been higher if I didn't have to attend college and study for the LSAT while working full-time, and I explained that in my personal statement. My priority in applying to law school was how to finance it; therefore, I picked a state law school that gave me a 75% scholarship. I graduated law school last year with very little debt. I also made law review, and got a clerkship after law school.

My point is I would not retake the LSAT again unless you want to study full-time and not work. Just apply to various law schools (that was the best advice I received) and pick the one that gives your the best scholarship. Best of luck.

Rk-oyez

New

Post by Rk-oyez » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:51 pm

I've gotta say that the investment in a LSAT prep course should basically just be considered a part of the exam fee. Go for something with at least three months of prep with a large supply of practice tests. The LSAT is hard, sure. But you can learn the hell out of it. If you're taking 4-5 practice tests a week, doing review on them, and your scores are still low 150's, then that might be an issue. But if you're going into these exams blind with little (read: anything less than 3+ months of prep with multiple PT a week) to no prep then unless you're a savant, you honestly can't expect anything stellar or competitive on that test. Take your PT's, get your average five points higher than where you need to be, then go take that test.

Also. Have to ask like most of the other people in this chat; why do you want to go to law school? Like, it's hard and pretty grueling work and the already depressing employment opportunities are scarce. Even if you get BigLaw after law school, quitting/getting fired well before reaching something permanent is more common than not (it seems). I say that to say this: you're at a Fortune 500 and if you network your current position/ eventually get an MBA you'll likely end up better off financially than gambling with law school. This isn't a criticism of you, just a tip about the kind of bleak market out there.

L_William_W

Bronze

Post by L_William_W » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:31 am

I hate talking about race, but the OP can probably get into CUNY law school in NYC with those stats. All he has to do is write a kick ass personal statement.

mrlawguy

New

Post by mrlawguy » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:59 pm

What are your goals after law school?

ChiaOut

New

Post by ChiaOut » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:39 pm

You have to make a decision of what do you want. If you're ready to go to law school then put in a solid application. Have you considered the Mid-West. The highest one in that area would be UMN. I would have a conversation with them or look where they place people. For the most part they place in Minnesota but I have heard of people getting Big Law in Washington D.C. and Texas. You just have to network.

Lemmymi

New

Post by Lemmymi » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:15 pm

Hey, idk if this is still active but I go to uga for undergrad and i work in the admissions office. I can go ahead and tell you that at big southern schools the black part doesn’t really matter as they’re are a ton of black people who go here just based on location. UGA is really gpa focused so a 3.2 isn’t great but it doesn’t disqualify you BUT! You can’t fix your gpa but you can help your lsat score so I would consider retaking. Just know your scores right now don’t disqualify you but also don’t put you in the top 50th percentile of applicants.

mjb77

New

Post by mjb77 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:14 pm

Look on Law School Numbers. You can get into some great tier 2 schools and maybe even better. You can probably get some money too. You'll be fine.

jejose2

New

Post by jejose2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:02 am

Sorry forgot to Update.
Year Later: Got into some great schools

UNC
Wake
Wash U
Vandy
Florida
Miami
Texas

Mecheman

New

Post by Mecheman » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:08 pm

jejose2 wrote:Sorry forgot to Update.

UNC
Wake
Wash U
Vandy
Florida
Miami
Texas

Congrats on the acceptances!!!!!!! Did you end up retaking or were the acceptances with your original numbers?

jejose2

New

Post by jejose2 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:11 pm

Mecheman wrote:
jejose2 wrote:Sorry forgot to Update.

UNC
Wake
Wash U
Vandy
Florida
Miami
Texas

Congrats on the acceptances!!!!!!! Did you end up retaking or were the acceptances with your original numbers?
Ended up going with the 152. I believe my work experience helped me immensely.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”