Mexican woman, 165 LSAT 3.6 GPA Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
gimli

New

Mexican woman, 165 LSAT 3.6 GPA

Post by gimli » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:08 pm

How good are my chances for USC UCLA and UT? Also wondering about T-14 in general. Thanks!

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: Mexican woman, 165 LSAT 3.6 GPA

Post by dietcoke1 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:24 am

probably depends on where you went to undergrad. If it was an Ivy League or top public you are in at the T-14.

blackish panther

New

Post by blackish panther » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:05 am

I'm a Black woman with a 167 LSAT and a 3.68 GPA from a decently ranked undergrad (nowhere near Ivy) and I got accepted to NYU a week or two ago. I'm also in at UCLA, Duke, Georgetown, and Northwestern, so definitely go for T-14 if you want to.

jacketyellow

Bronze

Post by jacketyellow » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:20 pm

blackish panther wrote:I'm a Black woman with a 167 LSAT and a 3.68 GPA from a decently ranked undergrad (nowhere near Ivy) and I got accepted to NYU a week or two ago. I'm also in at UCLA, Duke, Georgetown, and Northwestern, so definitely go for T-14 if you want to.
Definitely go, but make sure you get some $$ as well. There is nothing worse than being stuck in biglaw, trying to service a massive amount of debt.

Dreambig15

New

Post by Dreambig15 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:32 am

You'll get in. It'd be shocked if you didn't, you'll get in. Good job

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:44 pm

I’ve been trying to watch Texas Law admissions and I think you have a really good chance with your stats and as an URM.

Are you an international applicant from Mexico or MA? That might change things as international applicants are looked at differently. I believe it is more competitive process to get in as an international applicant.

Texas Law does have a majority of their admissions coming from Texas residents because they are required by law to have a large percentage from Texas. I am also thinking about applying but not this cycle.

Also, I’m confused as to what the prestige of the undergraduate college has to do with the chances as I’ve read over and over that this factor really doesn’t matter much to most law schools because they all are competing for rankings with the GPA and LSAT being the major consideration in this process. Please let me know if this is not the case.

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:48 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:probably depends on where you went to undergrad. If it was an Ivy League or top public you are in at the T-14.
I don't think they admission folks care about the undergrad institution attended

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:26 am

ThaBlackLord wrote:
dietcoke1 wrote:probably depends on where you went to undergrad. If it was an Ivy League or top public you are in at the T-14.
I don't think they admission folks care about the undergrad institution attended
I think it does matter for a group of schools, but it's maybe five or seven in total, and only worth a boost around the margins. To be fair though, in the URM cycle results threads, those with prestigious undergrads seemed to outperform their numbers even further.

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:27 am

ThaBlackLord wrote:
After looking through a lot of URM profiles and stats, I think going to a top school, or at least an Ivy school, does really benefit URMs.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:46 am

ThaBlackLord wrote:
Anecdotally i can say it absolutely matters.

ThaBlackLord

New

Post by ThaBlackLord » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:50 am

principalagent wrote:
ThaBlackLord wrote:
I think it does matter for a group of schools, but it's maybe five or seven in total, and only worth a boost around the margins. To be fair though, in the URM cycle results threads, those with prestigious undergrads seemed to outperform their numbers even further.
And how would you guys sort out the schools that care about undergrad institutions? More importantly, how do you figure out the prestige of a school? Some people would say you US News Top 10, Top 20, Top 30 others say Top 50, that's why I feel like its kinda hard to evaluate

stjeff00

New

Post by stjeff00 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:18 am

ThaBlackLord wrote:
principalagent wrote:
ThaBlackLord wrote:
And how would you guys sort out the schools that care about undergrad institutions? More importantly, how do you figure out the prestige of a school? Some people would say you US News Top 10, Top 20, Top 30 others say Top 50, that's why I feel like its kinda hard to evaluate
I agree that it is completely arbitrary but there’s definitely a boost. I cannot quantify it completely, but I’ve had deans tell me that it is something factored in when analyzing an academic record but it’s not a dramatic boost. When asked to elaborate I was told when put from a California perspective , a 3.5 GPA is viewed much differently from a UC (Berkeley , Davis, LA) than from a state university ( Fresno, Sacramento, Sonoma). As the above poster stated , you can see this if you skim through the result threads. Those who come from Ivy’s or Public Ivy’s definitely outperform their numbers.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”