Hispanic Ethnicity...what to put for race? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
tonhao90

New

Hispanic Ethnicity...what to put for race?

Post by tonhao90 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:48 pm

So when filling out the forms I always check Hispanic (Mexican-American on both sides). However for race do I put white?

I'm not black or have any racial lineage there. I'm definitely not Asian. If had to press it's clear I have Spanish and indigenous ancestry, mestizo.

I've been putting white-other whenever it's race. Thoughts?

ljalba

New

Re: Hispanic Ethnicity...what to put for race?

Post by ljalba » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:09 pm

This is more of a personal question than a question with a correct answer. There used to be a time when “Mexican” was a race in these kind of questionnaires. Now that it’s identified as an ethnicity it leaves many Mexican heritage individuals asking what race they are. This is what happens when our ancestors are colonized. I refuse to identify as white as I am not white-passing and do not come from a lineage associated with Spanish creoles. However, according to many US structures, I’m also not technically indigenous unless I have a tribal affiliation saying I am. This leads me, personally, to leave the race question empty after identifying my ethnicity. The race question is super arbitrary and odd for some individuals. For example, being Puerto Rican is an option for race.

TL;DR there’s no right or wrong answer. Do what you’ve been doing—it’s a personal question not a technical one.

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:56 pm

I agree with the poster above. I am half Mexican and half Puerto Rican. I have been checking the "Ethnicity" box as Mexican, and the "Race" box as Puerto Rican since it's often the only option I can honestly associate myself as.

OakBrook2021

Bronze

Post by OakBrook2021 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:49 pm

tonhao90 wrote:So when filling out the forms I always check Hispanic (Mexican-American on both sides). However for race do I put white?

I'm not black or have any racial lineage there. I'm definitely not Asian. If had to press it's clear I have Spanish and indigenous ancestry, mestizo.

I've been putting white-other whenever it's race. Thoughts?
I'm a non URM Latino, but I always just put Hispanic as my ethnicity and leave the race box blank. The app doesn't make you answer for race, so I choose not to ; especially since I don't self-identify as anything but Hispanic/Latino. I guess it's more of a personal thing though. I don't believe it'll affect your outcomes (especially since you are a URM)

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”