How important is a diversity statement? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Llewellyon

New

How important is a diversity statement?

Post by Llewellyon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm

I'm working on my applications, and my personal statement already includes a pretty compelling narrative that intertwines my diversity and desire to be a lawyer. However, that doesn't leave a lot to discuss in a diversity statement. I could convert my personal statement to my diversity statement, but then I really wouldn't have a compelling narrative for a personal statement. I guess I would rather just have a really good personal statement that discusses diversity rather than try to do both a personal statement and a diversity statement, and have either suffer as a result. So in short, is it that big of a deal to not include a diversity statement if your personal statement adequately discusses your diversity?

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Re: How important is a diversity statement?

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Llewellyon wrote:I'm working on my applications, and my personal statement already includes a pretty compelling narrative that intertwines my diversity and desire to be a lawyer. However, that doesn't leave a lot to discuss in a diversity statement. I could convert my personal statement to my diversity statement, but then I really wouldn't have a compelling narrative for a personal statement. I guess I would rather just have a really good personal statement that discusses diversity rather than try to do both a personal statement and a diversity statement, and have either suffer as a result. So in short, is it that big of a deal to not include a diversity statement if your personal statement adequately discusses your diversity?
For me, I used the personal statement to set out a diverse personal narrative. For the DS, I focused on an area of legal philosophy that, because of my background, I'm particularly situated to study. Personal statement was personal, diversity of statement went in the "diversity of thought" direction.

Drea

New

Post by Drea » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:22 am

Llewellyon wrote:I'm working on my applications, and my personal statement already includes a pretty compelling narrative that intertwines my diversity and desire to be a lawyer. However, that doesn't leave a lot to discuss in a diversity statement. I could convert my personal statement to my diversity statement, but then I really wouldn't have a compelling narrative for a personal statement. I guess I would rather just have a really good personal statement that discusses diversity rather than try to do both a personal statement and a diversity statement, and have either suffer as a result. So in short, is it that big of a deal to not include a diversity statement if your personal statement adequately discusses your diversity?
I didn't include a DS for this very reason. It worked out. IMO, it's better to not write a DS if it will sound redundant or doesn't really address your diversity at all.

Moral of the story, a DS is not required. But... I would recommend addressing diversity in either your PS or DS if you consider yourself a diverse applicant.

Llewellyon

New

Post by Llewellyon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Drea wrote:
I didn't include a DS for this very reason. It worked out. IMO, it's better to not write a DS if it will sound redundant or doesn't really address your diversity at all.

Moral of the story, a DS is not required. But... I would recommend addressing diversity in either your PS or DS if you consider yourself a diverse applicant.
I'm sort of thinking along these lines. I feel like a DS is about how your diversity has disadvantaged you and how you have overcome that disadvantage. I don't really feel like my diversity has disadvantaged me, although it does motivate me, so I would rather weave it into a PS rather than a DS.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”