International student status affect URM boost? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
ThatOneAfrican

New

International student status affect URM boost?

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:33 pm

Does being an international student affect whether or not the URM boost or even the status itself applies to me? I'm Nigerian and I've heard that Nigerian-Americans are overrrepresented. Does that hold true for Nigerians as well? And does the boost apply to international students at all?

ThatOneAfrican

New

Re: International student status affect URM boost?

Post by ThatOneAfrican » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:11 am

Nothing?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: International student status affect URM boost?

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:23 am

Since no one has answered... people here tend to debate the impact of international status, but I think consensus tends to be that you would still get a boost. Whether or not Nigerian Americans are over represented, for instance, would be hard to capture given the demographic questions schools generally use, in which you would (I would imagine) check “black or African American,” which includes “having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.” There isn’t a question asking whether you’re Nigerian or Sudanese or Kenyan or what.

Now if it’s clear from your application that you are Nigerian (and I am NOT suggesting you hide that it any way), I can’t say that adcomms will or won’t treat you differently from an African American candidate from Atlanta or Detroit. But with regard to the boxes they need to check, it doesn’t seem to be the case that they have to distinguish between international/not, and for reporting purposes you would fall into the same category as African Americans.

However I’m not an expert on this and am answering based on discussion I’ve seen here. So if anyone has more authoritative information they should feel free to chime in.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”