Mexican American Male, 3.31 gpa 163 lsat Michigan ED? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mdelacruz

New

Mexican American Male, 3.31 gpa 163 lsat Michigan ED?

Post by mdelacruz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Is Michigan out of the picture if I do a gpa/lsat addendum? Solid recs from a t20 undergrad, decent ps and softs (sga, president of a couple clubs, etc), 3 years work exp in banking.

Any advice much appreciated!

dietcoke1

Silver

Re: Mexican American Male, 3.31 gpa 163 lsat Michigan ED?

Post by dietcoke1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 pm

I would not ED to Michigan. There is no attached scholarship with it if you were to get in.
But to answer your question, Mich is a major reach for you.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:33 pm

mdelacruz wrote:Is Michigan out of the picture if I do a gpa/lsat addendum? Solid recs from a t20 undergrad, decent ps and softs (sga, president of a couple clubs, etc), 3 years work exp in banking.

What's preventing you from a retake? Your GPA isn't on the strong-side, and your LSAT (while being a competitive score) doesnt make up for your GPA.
I dont think IBanking is a good enough soft either - unless you've closed on some incredible deals and articul8 on your experiences within your application ( just my opinion tho)

You have a shot thou - undergrad institutions really do matter and the letter of recs ( if from professors) can make up for a lot

Platopus

Gold

Post by Platopus » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:37 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Platopus wrote:
Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
You have a shot thou - undergrad institutions really do matter and the letter of recs ( if from professors) can make up for a lot
Curious where you are getting this information?
Just Pm'ed

mdelacruz

New

Post by mdelacruz » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:48 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
mdelacruz wrote:Is Michigan out of the picture if I do a gpa/lsat addendum? Solid recs from a t20 undergrad, decent ps and softs (sga, president of a couple clubs, etc), 3 years work exp in banking.

What's preventing you from a retake? Your GPA isn't on the strong-side, and your LSAT (while being a competitive score) doesnt make up for your GPA.
I dont think IBanking is a good enough soft either - unless you've closed on some incredible deals and articul8 on your experiences within your application ( just my opinion tho)

Nothing is preventing me. I just wanted to know whether the test is something I will need to continue to study for or whether I can still get in by applying early as a URM.

And I don't consider it all that good of a soft, trust me. It's decent at best.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:12 am

dietcoke1 wrote:I would not ED to Michigan. There is no attached scholarship with it if you were to get in.
But to answer your question, Mich is a major reach for you.
I agree. Not a bad LSAT by any means but you have to balance your GPA out. With your GPA Michigan is probably looking for at least a 166.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”