Where should I be targeting? 32/f 2.8 GPA, 170 LSAT Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
kmz7036

New

Where should I be targeting? 32/f 2.8 GPA, 170 LSAT

Post by kmz7036 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:23 pm

I'm taking the LSAT in December and currently PT'ing at 170-173. Undergrad GPA is 2.8 with a major in Telecommunications and Information Management.

I'm a non-traditional student, LGBT member, and have lived a hell of a roller coaster life. I don't want to be all 'woe is me' in my personal statement but I did overcome a ton of obstacles in life to get where I am today. Not sure if any of these softs will help but thought I'd include here for context...

The basic TLDR: lost my father to cancer when I was a teenager, my mom split, older siblings were drug addicts at the time so they couldn't help me, and I became a high school drop out in order to work and take care of myself. Eventually went back to school, put myself through university working 3 jobs, became the first person in my family to go to college and graduated with a degree at 26. (I will be writing a GPA addendum explaining my grades in college were up and down due to me taking care of my nieces and nephew on and off when my sister was unable to.)

I worked in journalism throughout college as well as the IT stuff, so I decided to keep pursuing that while doing IT freelance on the side and have had a successful career in media since then as a writer, editor, and consultant - currently work as the managing editor for a media start up and as a media strategy consultant on the side.

After college I was lucky enough to work remotely for my employers and I used that freedom and opportunity to travel internationally and work on various humanitarian projects in Central America, Nepal, and Tanzania, which led me to wanting to pursue international law...though I'm still very interested in IP law considering my background and experience working for start ups.

Any advice here on schools I should be considering? I currently live in Chicago but open to pretty much any region. Thanks for any and all answers.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: Where should I be targeting? 32/f 2.8 GPA, 170 LSAT

Post by sparkytrainer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:26 pm

This makes zero difference until you have an lsat score. If I had a dollar for everyone who posts "i'm pting 170+" and then comes back and asks chances with a 162 I would be a millionaire. Without a real, concrete score, this all is pointless.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: Where should I be targeting? 32/f 2.8 GPA, 170 LSAT

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:26 pm

You should be targeting an actual LSAT score. With a 2.8 GPA you need well into the 170s to get into a good school. Stop worrying about where to apply if you don't have an actual score. Study your ass off and crush the December test

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”