removed Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
onvinyl

New

removed

Post by onvinyl » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:44 pm

removed
Last edited by onvinyl on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: How forgiving are schools of Low GPA? (AA Male)

Post by UVA2B » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:49 pm

What do you want? What career goal do you have?

Frankly, your numbers and AA are more than likely very competitive at top schools. If you want to end your search on schools you can get into, you're likely to get a T6 and other really good options. But that shouldn't end the search.

Where you do you want to practice? What type of practice interests you? How are you expecting to pay for your schooling?

onvinyl

New

removed

Post by onvinyl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:01 am

removed
Last edited by onvinyl on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:49 am

onvinyl wrote:
UVA2B wrote:What do you want? What career goal do you have?

Frankly, your numbers and AA are more than likely very competitive at top schools. If you want to end your search on schools you can get into, you're likely to get a T6 and other really good options. But that shouldn't end the search.

Where you do you want to practice? What type of practice interests you? How are you expecting to pay for your schooling?

I want to be President of the United States.

You really think I can get T6 with a 3.1? Is that with 168 or a 170+?

My "Dream Schools" are probably Harvard, NYU, or Columbia. I'd be more than happy at UVA, NW, Duke, GULC, UT. I'd rather not live in Philly or Michigan. Haven't really thought about Cornell. On the lower end maybe USC, UCLA or GWU.

I plan on doing big law for a few years and then the US attorney's office. I'm paying out of pocket. So scholarship + loans.
Great to have goals, but I think UVA2B is asking what you want to do immediately after law school and where. President isnt a first job out of law school. And the answer to the question has some impact at advice you'll receive.

onvinyl

New

removed

Post by onvinyl » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:04 am

removed
Last edited by onvinyl on Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:46 am

onvinyl wrote:
Mullens wrote:
onvinyl wrote:
UVA2B wrote:What do you want? What career goal do you have?

I want to be President of the United States.

You really think I can get T6 with a 3.1? Is that with 168 or a 170+?

My "Dream Schools" are probably Harvard, NYU, or Columbia. I'd be more than happy at UVA, NW, Duke, GULC, UT. I'd rather not live in Philly or Michigan. Haven't really thought about Cornell. On the lower end maybe USC, UCLA or GWU.

I plan on doing big law for a few years and then the US attorney's office. I'm paying out of pocket. So scholarship + loans.
Great to have goals, but I think UVA2B is asking what you want to do immediately after law school and where. President isnt a first job out of law school. And the answer to the question has some impact at advice you'll receive.
I said big law for a few years, then USAO.
Oops my bad.

You might get into a T6 but it'll likely be at sticker. You're probably better served going to a lower T14 on a scholarship then going from there. Blanket the T14. That makes your goals reasonably likely for the price. Also consider your state flagship if you're serious about politics because the best route might be big law -> AUSA in your home state -> local politics and local connections/school name will help

Unsolicited life advice: have you previously worked in politics? If not, I'd go work in politics for a couple years (through the 2018 mid-terms) and see if you like it. I went that route before law school and found that my thoughts of the process and day to day of politics (both campaigning and working for a rep) changed greatly from what they were before I got involved. It's certainly not for everyone.

AaronCarter

Bronze

Re: removed

Post by AaronCarter » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Did you retake? Or are you going with the 168?

onvinyl

New

Re: removed

Post by onvinyl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:02 pm

rmvd

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”