What LSAT score do I need? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
Aleksander

New

What LSAT score do I need?

Post by Aleksander » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I am a male African-American URM and wondering what LSAT score I will need with my stats to have a chance at Harvard/Stanford. I'm guessing my GPA is too low for Yale.

About me:

Went to a state school
3.84 LSAC GPA
below average softs (no relevant work experience, phi beta kappa, honors thesis)

What LSAT score would give me a good chance at Harvard or Stanford such that my below average soft factors won't hold me back?
Is there any such score that would get me in or am I doomed because of my non-prestigious background and subpar softs?

Thanks

Platopus

Gold

Re: What LSAT score do I need?

Post by Platopus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Last edited by Platopus on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aleksander

New

Post by Aleksander » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 am

Platopus wrote:
Aleksander wrote:I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I am a male African-American URM and wondering what LSAT score I will need with my stats to have a chance at Harvard/Stanford. I'm guessing my GPA is too low for Yale.

About me:

Went to a state school
3.84 LSAC GPA
below average softs (no relevant work experience, phi beta kappa, honors thesis)

What LSAT score would give me a good chance at Harvard or Stanford such that my below average soft factors won't hold me back?
Is there any such score that would get me in or am I doomed because of my non-prestigious background and subpar softs?

Thanks
Don't worry about your softs or your "non-prestigious" background. I generally think these questions are pretty dumb, since you should try to do your best, not set an arbitrary cut off goal-score, but I do recognize that for URM's these questions do have some value in helping to establish a baseline target score. Your GPA isn't too low for Yale BTW.

I would say to just aim for a 175+ like everyone else, but as an AA male, a 168+ (maybe a touch lower) would make you competitive.

A 170+ though should be the real target though, and would make you a virtual lock for H and to a lesser extent Stanford.
Thanks, Platopus! I understand what you're saying but I'm not going to let any score dictate what I aim for on the LSAT. I'm aiming for a 180 and I am confident that with some practice I can score in the 170s. I'm happy to hear my lack of relevant work experience won't hold me back. If a 170 would make me a lock then that's what I will set my minimum baseline at. Anything less and I think it would be worth retaking.

I'm also happy to hear I'll at least have some chance at Yale too!

Thanks again for the info

jgloster

Bronze

Post by jgloster » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Have you taken a practice test yet?

Aleksander

New

Post by Aleksander » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:57 am

jgloster wrote:Have you taken a practice test yet?
Yes, I have taken a diagnostic (159) and then took some untimed PTs as I've been working through the 7Sage curriculum. I did PT38 and got a 174 untimed and did PT58 and got a 173 untimed. I'm going to finish the rest of the 7Sage CC before starting to do timed PTs. At this point, I think I'd likely score in the low 160s on a fresh, timed PT.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”