What LSAT score do I need?

(BLS, URM status, non-traditional, GLBT)
Aleksander

What LSAT score do I need?

Postby Aleksander » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I am a male African-American URM and wondering what LSAT score I will need with my stats to have a chance at Harvard/Stanford. I'm guessing my GPA is too low for Yale.

About me:

Went to a state school
3.84 LSAC GPA
below average softs (no relevant work experience, phi beta kappa, honors thesis)

What LSAT score would give me a good chance at Harvard or Stanford such that my below average soft factors won't hold me back?
Is there any such score that would get me in or am I doomed because of my non-prestigious background and subpar softs?

Thanks

Platopus

Re: What LSAT score do I need?

Postby Platopus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Aleksander wrote:I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I am a male African-American URM and wondering what LSAT score I will need with my stats to have a chance at Harvard/Stanford. I'm guessing my GPA is too low for Yale.

About me:

Went to a state school
3.84 LSAC GPA
below average softs (no relevant work experience, phi beta kappa, honors thesis)

What LSAT score would give me a good chance at Harvard or Stanford such that my below average soft factors won't hold me back?
Is there any such score that would get me in or am I doomed because of my non-prestigious background and subpar softs?

Thanks

Don't worry about your softs or your "non-prestigious" background. I generally think these questions are pretty dumb, since you should try to do your best, not set an arbitrary cut off goal-score, but I do recognize that for URM's these questions do have some value in helping to establish a baseline target score. Your GPA isn't too low for Yale BTW.

I would say to just aim for a 175+ like everyone else, but as an AA male, a 168+ (maybe a touch lower) would make you competitive.

A 170+ though should be the real target though, and would make you a virtual lock for H and to a lesser extent Stanford.

Aleksander

Postby Aleksander » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 am

Platopus wrote:
Aleksander wrote:I'm new here so apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I am a male African-American URM and wondering what LSAT score I will need with my stats to have a chance at Harvard/Stanford. I'm guessing my GPA is too low for Yale.

About me:

Went to a state school
3.84 LSAC GPA

Thanks

Don't worry about your softs or your "non-prestigious" background. I generally think these questions are pretty dumb, since you should try to do your best, not set an arbitrary cut off goal-score, but I do recognize that for URM's these questions do have some value in helping to establish a baseline target score. Your GPA isn't too low for Yale BTW.

I would say to just aim for a 175+ like everyone else, but as an AA male, a 168+ (maybe a touch lower) would make you competitive.

A 170+ though should be the real target though, and would make you a virtual lock for H and to a lesser extent Stanford.

Thanks, Platopus! I understand what you're saying but I'm not going to let any score dictate what I aim for on the LSAT. I'm aiming for a 180 and I am confident that with some practice I can score in the 170s. I'm happy to hear my lack of relevant work experience won't hold me back. If a 170 would make me a lock then that's what I will set my minimum baseline at. Anything less and I think it would be worth retaking.

I'm also happy to hear I'll at least have some chance at Yale too!

Thanks again for the info

jgloster

Postby jgloster » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:44 pm

Have you taken a practice test yet?

Aleksander

Postby Aleksander » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:57 am

jgloster wrote:Have you taken a practice test yet?

Yes, I have taken a diagnostic (159) and then took some untimed PTs as I've been working through the 7Sage curriculum. I did PT38 and got a 174 untimed and did PT58 and got a 173 untimed. I'm going to finish the rest of the 7Sage CC before starting to do timed PTs. At this point, I think I'd likely score in the low 160s on a fresh, timed PT.

Return to “Under Represented Law Student Forum”