Diversity Statement Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
mooimacat

New

Diversity Statement

Post by mooimacat » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:09 pm

Hello all,

I am having a bit of an issue formulating a diversity statement. So a little background about me:
-emigrated to the U.S. when I was 12.
-constantly bullied through middle school (because of my thick accent), which I used as a catalyst to earn good grades.
-First in my family to graduate high school.
-My family struggled financially but were able to help me earn my associate's and then I paid my bachelor's. Never took out a loan.
-First in my family to graduate college.

I'm guessing I just need some help on to how to articulate my struggles and not just tell adcomms a sob story. Thanks in advance!

Silver

Re: Diversity Statement

Post by AvatarMeelo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Minor nitpicky thing: the word you wanna use is immigrate. You immigrate TO, and emigrate FROM. Unless you're leaving the US to go somewhere else in case nvm.

I'm still figuring out what to write for mine, but your essay should essentially answer what do you bring to the table that's different from everyone else - what characteristics about you as a result of your experiences can contribute to those around you?

Maaza

New

Re: Diversity Statement

Post by Maaza » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 am

Here are some examples to help you discuss your adversity w/o feeling like its turning into a sob story:

http://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/exampl ... tatements/

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”