AA Male GPA:2.3 LSAT:160 Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
radeoye123

New

AA Male GPA:2.3 LSAT:160

Post by radeoye123 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Alright TLS.COM

First I can handle any critique I want honesty. Please be brutally honest, no point in sugar coating anything because law schools sure won't

So a little about me I am a URM (african american male) from the great state of PA. For a majority of my life, I was raised by a Single mom, I am one of two kids. I am a rising senior at a small liberal arts school in upstate new york. I am posting on here to figure out what schools I should apply to and what I should do in regards to law school. I would like to go to law school right after but with my grades that is becoming less and less of a reality, due to my low GPA.

Pros:
I have a very good resume. In high school I was the chief advisor of the mayors of my town electoral campaign winning him the vote by over 60%, I worked on a congressional campaign in highschool as an organizing fellow (losing unfortunately). During this past election I was the lead organizer through a club i am president of, in which we planned a voter outreach program. Through this program we registered the most students in the united states at any college or univeristy. Through these two things in high school I have been able to score three pretty prestigious internships in college. I was able to intern for a top-notch foreign policy think tank as a research intern, work for the largest fundraising firm on capitol hill at the White House for a summer under the Obama admin, and this summer i am currently interning in the NY Office of Federal Affairs as a Legislative Intern.

Cons:
I have a very awful GPA. To be honest I take responsibility for my low GPA, it took me awhile to take political science classes I actually liked resulting with me taking economic and language classes I did poorly in. Which tanked my GPA. If i get into law school I WILL improve and do better. I WILL work hard and not make these types of mistakes again.

I have been studying for the LSAT for the past 4-5 months and have been scoring in the 160 range during practice test. I would like to go to school in Philadelphia hopefully near my town in PA because I would like to pick up some of the political work I did in HS but with a law degree. What would the great people of this forum advise.

Thanks,

(P.S be brutally honest, no point in sugar coating anything because law schools sure won't)
Last edited by radeoye123 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Re: AA Male GPA:2.3 LSAT:160

Post by grades?? » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:39 pm

This is irrelevant without a real score. Come back then. But your resume is mediocre/slightly worse than a good law school resume. Your grades suck. Like terribly (not to be harsh, but it's true). You don't have an Lsat right now. You need to do everything in your power to get a 170+ Lsat. Take three years off if you need to. But until then, that's your only focus if you want law because your gpa will undoubtedly hurt along with the eh resume.

radeoye123

New

Post by radeoye123 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:54 pm

grades?? wrote:This is irrelevant without a real score. Come back then. But your resume is mediocre/slightly worse than a good law school resume. Your grades suck. Like terribly (not to be harsh, but it's true). You don't have an Lsat right now. You need to do everything in your power to get a 170+ Lsat. Take three years off if you need to. But until then, that's your only focus if you want law because your gpa will undoubtedly hurt along with the eh resume.
what should I do to improve my resume, ill continue to study harder, and come back with a real score.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:57 pm

radeoye123 wrote:
grades?? wrote:This is irrelevant without a real score. Come back then. But your resume is mediocre/slightly worse than a good law school resume. Your grades suck. Like terribly (not to be harsh, but it's true). You don't have an Lsat right now. You need to do everything in your power to get a 170+ Lsat. Take three years off if you need to. But until then, that's your only focus if you want law because your gpa will undoubtedly hurt along with the eh resume.
what should I do to improve my resume, ill continue to study harder, and come back with a real score.
You should take some years off between undergrad and law school and get some paid work experience.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”