URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

What type of music do you listen to when you get into a school?

Hip Hop / Rap
51%
EDM
1%
Pop / Top 40
14%
R&B
6%
Reggaeton / Bachata / Latin Trap / Dance Hall / Soca
16%
Rock
3%
Something less lit than the options above
9%

Total votes: 87

mmart207

Bronze

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Post by mmart207 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:58 pm

urmlaw17 wrote:Which T14 do you think I can get into?

Mexican
168 LSAT
2.9 Gpa
It's going to be pretty random. I believe T-14s show more preference for URMs with strong GPAs. Write some great essays and apply broadly.

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:12 pm

Just submitted Duke :shock:

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:07 pm

soca_dancer wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:Is it weird is my ps is a ds because im too lazy to write both :D (this writers block is real)
Writer's block can be a serious deterrent. However I would advise you to write a separate personal statement for at least the schools that ask for one and/or give you the option in a supplemental essay.
Yes definitely. I am delaying the inevitable. I dont know how and what to write for my ps so im literally writing a ds

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:56 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:Is it weird is my ps is a ds because im too lazy to write both :D (this writers block is real)
Writer's block can be a serious deterrent. However I would advise you to write a separate personal statement for at least the schools that ask for one and/or give you the option in a supplemental essay.
Yes definitely. I am delaying the inevitable. I dont know how and what to write for my ps so im literally writing a ds
I would ask you to think about an experience that you had or an activity you really enjoyed that you can write in detail about and that may present the elements of overcoming obstacles, preparation, hard work. Think about the qualities of what a good lawyer should have and write an essay around that using your own experience

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:59 pm

soca_dancer wrote:
Lalalsat96 wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
I would ask you to think about an experience that you had or an activity you really enjoyed that you can write in detail about and that may present the elements of overcoming obstacles, preparation, hard work. Think about the qualities of what a good lawyer should have and write an essay around that using your own experience
Ooh thats a good prompt in a way. I guess my only concern would be "getting it wrong" - incorrectly presume what a good lawyer is or what attorneys even do but i will see how it goes and have others read it for sure ! Thanks!

anacabana

New

Post by anacabana » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello all, seeking advice for the diversity statement. Should it be as personal and creative as the personal statement, or is it more of a technical/drier document?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:05 pm

anacabana wrote:Hello all, seeking advice for the diversity statement. Should it be as personal and creative as the personal statement, or is it more of a technical/drier document?
I don't think there's a right answer to this. Whatever puts the information you want to convey to the adcom in the best manner is appropriate. I will say it should be personal since it's presumably speaking to an important aspect of your identity and lived experience.

8green

New

Post by 8green » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:19 pm

clueless801 wrote:Anyone here planning on applying to SEO?
Me too :)

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Contacted a school and they still haven't responded. It's been 4 days. :(

FIFTYFIVE

New

Post by FIFTYFIVE » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Just a small inquiry/reflection. Is it just me or is it looking like it's the norm to take out a considerable amount of loans? I'm a little shook...

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:32 pm

FIFTYFIVE wrote:Just a small inquiry/reflection. Is it just me or is it looking like it's the norm to take out a considerable amount of loans? I'm a little shook...
Def. the norm, $100+ k unfortunately, yes! (Average is $140k according to an Above The Law article I read)

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:33 pm

Is submitting apps by November 15th applying early?

Im really not feeling my before halloween deadline I made for myself

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:25 pm

Lalalsat96 wrote:Is submitting apps by November 15th applying early?

Im really not feeling my before halloween deadline I made for myself
Anytime before thanksgiving

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 pm

Only two apps left for me to submit :shock: :oops:

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:16 am

FIFTYFIVE wrote:Just a small inquiry/reflection. Is it just me or is it looking like it's the norm to take out a considerable amount of loans? I'm a little shook...
I went to a deans panel the other day. The Stanford dean started talking about How to Pay for Law School. Her words were vaguely that if you’re going into the private sector, you’re going to be making an obscene amount of money so you shouldn’t worry about the loans you take out for school. Coming from a background of no money, that seemed like terrible advice to me.

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:58 am

clueless801 wrote:
I went to a deans panel the other day. The Stanford dean started talking about how to pay for law school. Her words were vaguely that if you’re going into the private sector, you’re going to be making an obscene amount of money so you shouldn’t worry about the loans you take out for school. Coming from a background of no money, that seemed like terrible advice to me.
I specifically didn't apply to Stanford for that reason, they were the only school that blatantly said grants and scholarships were a secondary factor for even the neediest. So nope, I'm saving my $135 in applying.

jimmyplayer601

Bronze

Post by jimmyplayer601 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:43 am

MA/Gay/first generation student checking in

Ivy undergrad
GPA: 3.8x
Lsat: 2015-163, sept 2017 Retake did not go as planned, even though I studied for months, still choked on reading comp which is half of all my errors, hoping for a couple point increase as would be a good boost. May take again in Feb to get off any waitlists.

Finishing up apps now and submitting the next couple weeks. Basing my decision a lot on $$$, campus visit, and overall vibe. Got fee waivers for all top-14 except HYS, Columbia.... and Georgetown, even after requests to both.

Any advice for anbryce/Berkeley opportunity scholarship would be helpful! Writing personal/diversity about being a QPOC. Going to Duke/Stanford/Chicago admissions panel in LA next week, PM if you have any suggestions/ comments or if you're going to the panel!

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:16 pm

clueless801 wrote:
I went to a deans panel the other day. The Stanford dean started talking about how to pay for law school. Her words were vaguely that if you’re going into the private sector, you’re going to be making an obscene amount of money so you shouldn’t worry about the loans you take out for school. Coming from a background of no money, that seemed like terrible advice to me.
That is very bad advice. Especially for students who are coming straight out of undergrad.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:22 pm

PrezRand wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
That is very bad advice. Especially for students who are coming straight out of undergrad.
agreed

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:41 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
PrezRand wrote:
clueless801 wrote:
agreed
Yeah, I was a bit taken aback by what she said. I don't think she meant it the way it came across. It was in the context of that we shouldn't really worry about financial aid until after we're admitted, and that the school will help us if we're interested in public interest. But none of us want to go into debt in the private sector either!

mmart207

Bronze

Post by mmart207 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Anyone not planning on writing a diversity statement? I'm still very undecided.

cgeezyy

New

Post by cgeezyy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:50 pm

mmart207 wrote:Anyone not planning on writing a diversity statement? I'm still very undecided.
I'm not! I don't feel like it would add anything to my application, especially because my personal statement kind of addresses a similar topic that I would write about in a diversity statement.

Incrementalist

Bronze

Post by Incrementalist » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:02 pm

cgeezyy wrote:
mmart207 wrote:Anyone not planning on writing a diversity statement? I'm still very undecided.
I'm not! I don't feel like it would add anything to my application, especially because my personal statement kind of addresses a similar topic that I would write about in a diversity statement.
Same here goes for me. My personal statement pretty much summed up my life story and addresses the topics

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:53 pm

clueless801 wrote:Yeah, I was a bit taken aback by what she said. I don't think she meant it the way it came across. It was in the context of that we shouldn't really worry about financial aid until after we're admitted, and that the school will help us if we're interested in public interest. But none of us want to go into debt in the private sector either!
Did the other deans push back on this? I would hope at least one did...

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:41 pm

principalagent wrote:
clueless801 wrote:Yeah, I was a bit taken aback by what she said. I don't think she meant it the way it came across. It was in the context of that we shouldn't really worry about financial aid until after we're admitted, and that the school will help us if we're interested in public interest. But none of us want to go into debt in the private sector either!
Did the other deans push back on this? I would hope at least one did...
I don't think the other two said anything because Dean Deal kept going to talk about public interest. There wasn't much of an opportunity to comment on it to be fair.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”