URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

What type of music do you listen to when you get into a school?

Hip Hop / Rap
51%
EDM
1%
Pop / Top 40
14%
R&B
6%
Reggaeton / Bachata / Latin Trap / Dance Hall / Soca
16%
Rock
3%
Something less lit than the options above
9%

Total votes: 87

Emanda

New

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Post by Emanda » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:05 am

I emailed Emory on New Years Day...and they answered at like, 11:55 p.m, in the most informal way possible, with a typo in their email.

I kinda laughed because there I was stressing over making sure my email was perfectly crafted, and they were just like “submit in Feb. thx.” :roll: :lol:

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:08 am

jjdude14 wrote:Y’all I LITERALLY just got my first acceptance, in at UCLA, I’m beyond excited right now!!!
Congratulations!! Thats awesome!!

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 am

Do y'all think waiting to hear back from schools is worse or waiting to find out your LSAT score?

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:49 am

Aspire wrote:Do y'all think waiting to hear back from schools is worse or waiting to find out your LSAT score?
The LSAT Score 100% just because depending on your score you may have a very chill cycle with quicker turnaround, say if you’re above both the school’s 75th’s gpa & lsat and waiting on a test score that can have such a strong impact on what school/future legal career was worse than the waiting i am doing now that apps are in. I know my co-worker with a 174 score just applied in December and could care less about hearing back from schools since she knows she will end up somewhere great. She and I were just stressing together on gray day for the September LSAT.

Anyway waiting for my lsat score was the worst for me for sure

LawShopeful

New

Post by LawShopeful » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Hey, is anyone else here interested in possibly going into Corporate/business law?

If not what areas of practice are you guys interested?

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:46 pm

LawShopeful wrote:Hey, is anyone else here interested in possibly going into Corporate/business law?

Look at the poll lol

LawShopeful

New

Post by LawShopeful » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Aspire wrote:
LawShopeful wrote:Hey, is anyone else here interested in possibly going into Corporate/business law?

Look at the poll lol
Literally don't know how I missed that...especially since I participated lol. This whole week of decisions has me in shambles

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:27 pm

Anybody find themselves unnecessarily frustrated when they're ghosted by their safety's even though they've gotten into a reach? I don't know why but I'm finding it incredibly vexing and then I feel stupid for caring. I swear this whole process has made me more self-conscious then middle school ever did.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 pm

A ~fun~ new poll!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:56 pm

rock

duh

alexeats

New

Post by alexeats » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:03 pm

TLS wrote:Anybody find themselves unnecessarily frustrated when they're ghosted by their safety's even though they've gotten into a reach? I don't know why but I'm finding it incredibly vexing and then I feel stupid for caring. I swear this whole process has made me more self-conscious then middle school ever did.
YES!! I also got rejected from UT Austin after getting into much better schools (and 75k for uva) but it still freaked me out and made me even more anxious about all my other schools. They are the only ones to reject me (yet).

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:45 pm

principalagent wrote:A ~fun~ new poll!
Im hurt soca/dance hall was not a music option but I also can’t admit to it being less lit than the other options. Im conflicted lol

KENYADIGG1T

Bronze

Post by KENYADIGG1T » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:53 pm

"Secure the Bag" Playlist

"I Get the Bag" - Gucci Mane ft. Migos
"Major Bag Alert" - DJ Khaled ft. Quavo
"Started from the Bottom" - Drake
"Used to This" - Future ft. Drake
"Trap N*ggas" - Future
"Digits" - Young Thug
"Bad and Boujee" - Migos ft. Lil Uzi Vert
"Champions" - Kanye West ft. Quavo, Gucci Mane, Yo Gotti, Big Sean, 2 Chainz and Travis Scott
"Law" - Yo Gotti
"Handsome and Wealthy" - Migos
"All Me" - Drake ft. 2 Chainz and Big Sean
"Too Much Sauce" - DJ ESCO ft. Future and Lil Uzi Vert

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:29 pm

KENYADIGG1T wrote:"Secure the Bag" Playlist

"Trap N*ggas" - Future
"Digits" - Young Thug
"Champions" - Kanye West ft. Quavo, Gucci Mane, Yo Gotti, Big Sean, 2 Chainz and Travis Scott
"Law" - Yo Gotti
DIDN'T *clap* I *clap* TELL *clap* YOU *clap* TO *clap* PUT *clap* RAKE *clap* IT *clap* UP *clap* ON *clap* THIS *clap* PLAYLIST *clap*
Prudence wrote:
principalagent wrote:A ~fun~ new poll!
Im hurt soca/dance hall was not a music option but I also can’t admit to it being less lit than the other options. Im conflicted lol
Omg this was the biggest oversight. I couldn't add the option without resetting the poll so I threw it in with the other island genres :oops:

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:55 am

You all should check out what I posted in the Blacks and Law Schools: By the Numbers thread. What do you think about it?

jkander31

Bronze

Post by jkander31 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:09 am

Aspire wrote:You all should check out what I posted in the Blacks and Law Schools: By the Numbers thread. What do you think about it?

I've seen the video with UVA law professor, Mr. Johnson. I wonder if they have ever concluded their studies and figured out why URM's and AA's, in particular, have a disparity in their scores even when controlling for variables.

I did some digging on my own and I read Richard Rothstein book, Class and Schools: Using Social, Economic, and Educational Reform to Close the Black-White Achievement Gap. The book gave a great explanation of the disparities we see in education. One of it was the inability to fully account for factors that are not entirely quantifiable. I am really simplifying an explanation that needs to be understood in the context of the book.

I also took an interest in the relative correlation between your LSAT score and GPA to your first-year scores. I want to know more about the people under examination and their study habits. I can't wrap my mind around why the LSAT out of all standardized exams is the best predictor of success.

Excuse my spelling, grammatical, and sentence composition errors.

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:13 am

jkander31 wrote:
Aspire wrote:You all should check out what I posted in the Blacks and Law Schools: By the Numbers thread. What do you think about it?

I've seen the video with UVA law professor, Mr. Johnson. I wonder if they have ever concluded their studies and figured out why URM's and AA's, in particular, have a disparity in their scores even when controlling for variables.

I did some digging on my own and I read Richard Rothstein book, Class and Schools: Using Social, Economic, and Educational Reform to Close the Black-White Achievement Gap. The book gave a great explanation of the disparities we see in education. One of it was the inability to fully account for factors that are not entirely quantifiable. I am really simplifying an explanation that needs to be understood in the context of the book.

I also took an interest in the relative correlation between your LSAT score and GPA to your first-year scores. I want to know more about the people under examination and their study habits. I can't wrap my mind around why the LSAT out of all standardized exams is the best predictor of success.

What did you think of the figure he cites that around 125 blacks in a cycle score over 170? The common knowledge on TLS that I have seen is that fewer than 20 per cycle score over 170

saraduboi1995

New

Post by saraduboi1995 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:01 am

Aspire wrote:
jkander31 wrote:

What did you think of the figure he cites that around 125 blacks in a cycle score over 170? The common knowledge on TLS that I have seen is that fewer than 20 per cycle score over 170

+100000000

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:05 am

Less than 20 sounds really low to me! I feel like there are more but maybe 170+ AA applicants are less represented on TlS. Not basing this off anything though, but I scored a 174 and just don't feel like it could be that few

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 am

It appears it’s definitely above 20. Im starting to think that thread should be unstickied.

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:48 am

KENYADIGG1T wrote:"Secure the Bag" Playlist

"Trap N*ggas" - Future
"Digits" - Young Thug
"Law" - Yo Gotti
You should make it a goal to have all of your LS peers know these songs word for word.

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:27 am

Well the calculation in that thread is correct based off an understanding of normal distributions. It's just that there's a high chance that the distribution for African American LSAT scores isn't all that normal, and that normal distribution formula simply best fits the data, without being perfect or accounting for skews/bumps in the curve.

trafalgar

New

Post by trafalgar » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:30 am

principalagent wrote:Well the calculation in that thread is correct based off an understanding of normal distributions. It's just that there's a high chance that the distribution for African American LSAT scores isn't all that normal, and that normal distribution formula simply best fits the data, without being perfect or accounting for skews/bumps in the curve.
I 100% agree. With AA being such a small sample size compared to LSAT population as a whole, the confidence that you can have for this particular group fits a normal distribution is a lot less, BUT its still the best indicator of how the scores are distributed. My guess would be that for 170+ AA test takers for a given cycle is 20 < x < ALOT less than 125. I also have a feeling that TLS is not representative of people as a whole, because it naturally tends to attract higher test takers. I don't think if 125 black people got 170+ on the LSAT, the mean for our scores would be so low. If there's only 300-350 AA's in the T14(or 13 or 15 or whatever the fuck it is now), why are they reaching for 159-160 scores? There is waaayyyyy less than 125 at HYS alone , and even they are taking people in the mid-high 160's. I think the real number is somewhere around like 40.

Prudence

New

Post by Prudence » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:57 am

trafalgar wrote:
principalagent wrote:Well the calculation in that thread is correct based off an understanding of normal distributions. It's just that there's a high chance that the distribution for African American LSAT scores isn't all that normal, and that normal distribution formula simply best fits the data, without being perfect or accounting for skews/bumps in the curve.
I 100% agree. With AA being such a small sample size compared to LSAT population as a whole, the confidence that you can have for this particular group fits a normal distribution is a lot less, BUT its still the best indicator of how the scores are distributed. My guess would be that for 170+ AA test takers for a given cycle is 20 < x < ALOT less than 125. I also have a feeling that TLS is not representative of people as a whole, because it naturally tends to attract higher test takers. I don't think if 125 black people got 170+ on the LSAT, the mean for our scores would be so low. If there's only 300-350 AA's in the T14(or 13 or 15 or whatever the fuck it is now), why are they reaching for 159-160 scores? There is waaayyyyy less than 125 at HYS alone , and even they are taking people in the mid-high 160's. I think the real number is somewhere around like 40.
It may be a higher number than we expect if we think about AA’s who retake to get 170+ (and may have taken the exam multiple times in a cycle or get full rides at strong regional schools below t13 rather than attend H). I also doubt its 125 AA’s with 170+ each cycle however but my theory is there could be more if many of the mid 160 scorers were forced to retake to go to t13’s but they can already get in with the 160s already so maybe there’s less retaking among AA’s? There’s no way to know or account for these things

Also I think someone said it before... the lsat is classist af (how much disposable income you have can influence how high you score/learn the ways of the exam) and the intersection of race and class certainly play a role in the distribution of lsat scores among AA’s and all people who take the lsat

Aspire

New

Post by Aspire » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:02 am

trafalgar wrote:
I don’t think it’s 40. The guy explicitly says over 100 which makes more sense. As soon as I read in the thread that only around 20 blacks score over 168 in a cycle I became extremely skeptical. It has come to my attention that this video was from 2010, so things could have changed but I doubt by much. However, a brief for Fisher says only 63 blacks had a 165+ and a 3.5+ in the 2009-2010 cycle. So I guess a substantial number of blacks with over a 170 have below a 3.5 GPA? This could explain why the T13 is reaching, to get people with good LSAT/GPA combos. Also to get people with unique life story/good softs.
Last edited by Aspire on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”