URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

What type of music do you listen to when you get into a school?

Hip Hop / Rap
51%
EDM
1%
Pop / Top 40
14%
R&B
6%
Reggaeton / Bachata / Latin Trap / Dance Hall / Soca
16%
Rock
3%
Something less lit than the options above
9%

Total votes: 87

Silver

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Post by AvatarMeelo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:06 pm

PrezRand wrote:
Mikey wrote:sup y'all

checking in, latino URM

retaking in December, but already have a bunch of fee waivers to the T13/T14 and some schools I care about outside of it.
I totally thought u were not a minority
Mikey!!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:10 pm

clueless801 wrote: Mikey!!
HIYA! :mrgreen:

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:20 pm

Mikey wrote: I'll PM those who want to know my LSN though, just to keep it off of the threads so it's not linked to me publicly here. Not that I've done of a good job at keeping anonymity anyways, but still haha.
Gotcha. I tried to keep mine very minimal but I will update it with everyone once my cycle is over. I will be updating acceptances/dings tho

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:01 pm

got tests 72-81. Excited to fail even more :D

stjeff00

New

Post by stjeff00 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:42 pm

PrezRand wrote:
stjeff00 wrote:
AlPastor wrote:Is anyone attending the National Black & Hispanic Pre-Law Conference in NYC? I've been getting bombarded with emails and haven't decided whether or not it would be worth making the trip to NYC
I went last year, they have some pretty good workshops and have a lot of one on one attention time if you want someone to read a document of yours or have specific questions. They also hooked me up with a lot of resources, I have a book with over 200 personal statements and resumes all from black applicants and they also gave another book on extensive tips to success during your first year of law school. I enjoyed it but I mostly just used it as an opportunity to visit NY schools because I had never visited before (NYU, Columbia). It mostly depends on where you are in the process if it will be useful or not.
Who would you say it is useful for?
I would say it is most useful if you haven't submitted your applications yet and are in the process of finishing them. Like I said, there are numerous people there who are willing to read and workshop all of your materials. If you've already applied, I'm not sure how useful the information will be.

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:38 pm

AlPastor wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Haha nah yo, I'm Hispanic
Are you on LSN? Curious to see how fellow hispanic URMs are doing!
What's your lsn? I'm on there too

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:07 pm

I just submitted a third of my applications yesterday and I can already tell the status checker refreshing will be the death of me.

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 pm

urmlaw17 wrote: What's your lsn? I'm on there too
Same username. Little to no updates lately tho

para219

New

Post by para219 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:49 pm

Was browsing URM profiles on LSN and came across this one:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Watababe

Whoa. That takes debt averseness to a whole new level!

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:42 pm

para219 wrote:Was browsing URM profiles on LSN and came across this one:

Lol!

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:24 am

:shock:

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:08 am

Damn...

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:28 pm

What a waste of a 171

ljalba

New

Post by ljalba » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:58 pm

Oh, c'mon guys! Let's support our fellow URMs and their decisions instead of judging them based on our high and mighty TLS standards.

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:32 pm

ljalba wrote:Oh, c'mon guys! Let's support our fellow URMs and their decisions instead of judging them based on our high and mighty TLS standards.
+1

As a Chicago native, depending on what they wanted to do with a law degree (i.e be in local government or local community advocate) they could follow that dream and not worry about the cost.

para219

New

Post by para219 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:20 pm

soca_dancer wrote:
ljalba wrote:Oh, c'mon guys! Let's support our fellow URMs and their decisions instead of judging them based on our high and mighty TLS standards.
+1

As a Chicago native, depending on what they wanted to do with a law degree (i.e be in local government or local community advocate) they could follow that dream and not worry about the cost.
I can only speak for myself but I don't think people are necessarily judging in a negative way. For me at least it's registering surprise at that person's choice given their available options. It caused me to think about what I would do in a similar situation.

Of course, we COULD get into the nuances of the situation but that wasn't my intention when I linked the profile. If you read their updates, it seems like money was the driving factor in their decision to choose a full ride at Illinois over 105K at Northwestern and 120K at Michigan. We don't get any other information about career goals but it seems like they wanna be in Chicago.

If someone wants to make that choice, that's their decision of course. But I can't imagine any Chicago centric career goals that wouldn't be better satisfied at NU or Michigan, especially at that level of scholarship money for each.

If someone posted on this thread next April asking for advice on where to attend listing these exact options, what would you tell them? To each their own! :D

ljalba

New

Post by ljalba » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:02 pm

para219 wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
+1

I can only speak for myself but I don't think people are necessarily judging in a negative way. For me at least it's registering surprise at that person's choice given their available options. It caused me to think about what I would do in a similar situation.

Of course, we COULD get into the nuances of the situation but that wasn't my intention when I linked the profile. If you read their updates, it seems like money was the driving factor in their decision to choose a full ride at Illinois over 105K at Northwestern and 120K at Michigan. We don't get any other information about career goals but it seems like they wanna be in Chicago.

If someone wants to make that choice, that's their decision of course. But I can't imagine any Chicago centric career goals that wouldn't be better satisfied at NU or Michigan, especially at that level of scholarship money for each.

If someone posted on this thread next April asking for advice on where to attend listing these exact options, what would you tell them? To each their own! :D
Sure, I'm not saying you were necessarily judging in a negative manner, and yea, not all the comments were negative but claiming that the person wasted their LSAT score is not very nice. UIUC is not Cooley. And even if it was, let's not judge the URMs that attend predatory schools, let's discuss ways to inform them and help them. But that's a whole different discussion.

Back on topic, yes, you're absolutely right. We don't get any other information about career goals or personal reasons. Nonetheless, that doesn't change the fact that TLS is filled with an elitism that in the real-world builds class structures for URMs. Why should we perpetuate that elitism on ourselves?

I'm simply proposing we support our URMs in super respectful and positive ways, whether they attend a T14 school or not. Whether you think they made the right choice or not.

The legal world is built on elitism but that doesn't mean we need to perpetuate it. “For the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house. They may allow us to temporarily beat him at his own game, but they will never enable us to bring about genuine change."

But yea, to each their own.

URMSenator52

New

Post by URMSenator52 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:30 am

para219 wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
+1

Or the LSN user wants to the dominate the 1L curve. Being almost 10 points ahead of UI Champagne's 75th percentile LSAT.. While going to the best top public school in Chicago, (t-40) with big law options... Or be average to "bottom of the barrel" at Northwestern. Possibly striking out of big law,being below the 1L median. While still paying $ at Northwestern.. The user is thinking very strategically imo,with a major regional full ride.. Very similar big law, and local gov job prospects. Overall if you are at least at the top 15% of the class, +LR at Champagne. Considering the 1L class size of UI Champagne vs. Northwestern... Or the LSN user can scrap big law. Overall and do local government or w/e if warranted, with zero debt.... While the LSN user analyzed, and weighed possibly getting canned or quitting. From big law with debt (i.e. not partner material, or a terrible 1st year associate). Risk Management hedging ftw, not a waste of a 171 at all.. You highest LSAT score is a predicator of 1L performance. In all at your chosen matriculated school. The majority of the time lol.. I'm just speculating the LSN user's logic of course. From the other side of the scale. ;) Disclaimer/Spoiler: I'm applying next cycle to the t-14, and strong regionals... Have a great cycle everyone!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=242276

para219

New

Post by para219 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:44 am

ljalba wrote:
para219 wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
+1

Sure, I'm not saying you were necessarily judging in a negative manner, and yea, not all the comments were negative but claiming that the person wasted their LSAT score is not very nice. UIUC is not Cooley. And even if it was, let's not judge the URMs that attend predatory schools, let's discuss ways to inform them and help them. But that's a whole different discussion.

Back on topic, yes, you're absolutely right. We don't get any other information about career goals or personal reasons. Nonetheless, that doesn't change the fact that TLS is filled with an elitism that in the real-world builds class structures for URMs. Why should we perpetuate that elitism on ourselves?

I'm simply proposing we support our URMs in super respectful and positive ways, whether they attend a T14 school or not. Whether you think they made the right choice or not.

The legal world is built on elitism but that doesn't mean we need to perpetuate it. “For the master’s tools will never dismantle the master’s house. They may allow us to temporarily beat him at his own game, but they will never enable us to bring about genuine change."

But yea, to each their own.
I can respect that. I'm definitely not of the "T14 or bust" mentality. Everyone has different goals and circumstances. I very much agree with that last quote. Nothing wrong with a little discussion! I feel like a healthy debate is good, especially about these kinds of issues.

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 am

Forgot to post it here but, In at Georgetown!

Interview Sep 28, Complete Oct 18, Admission letter postmarked Oct 30

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:58 pm

congrats, pastor!

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:37 pm

Thank you!

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:51 pm

Congrats!! I'm in too!

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:53 am

I think with a 171, she could have gotten into Harvard or even Yale

hotdog96

New

Post by hotdog96 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 am

Is there any truth to the statement that URMs typically have to wait longer for decisions? I remember reading this somewhere, just want to see some opinions on the topic.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”