URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

What type of music do you listen to when you get into a school?

Hip Hop / Rap
51%
EDM
1%
Pop / Top 40
14%
R&B
6%
Reggaeton / Bachata / Latin Trap / Dance Hall / Soca
16%
Rock
3%
Something less lit than the options above
9%

Total votes: 87

fulbrightinmexico

New

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Post by fulbrightinmexico » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:16 pm

--
Last edited by fulbrightinmexico on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:36 pm

fulbrightinmexico wrote:Late check in but MA female, 3.9x GPA from an ivy, 169 LSAT, Fulbright living abroad currently. I'm really really hoping for Columbia. in at Duke and Cornell. good luck everyone!!!
Felicidades y buena suerte!

urmlaw17

Bronze

Post by urmlaw17 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:15 pm

HLShopeful12345 wrote:
marryJLP92 wrote:
HLShopeful12345 wrote:super late check in, AA woman, 3 years out of college. Stats are 3.0 GPA and a 175 LSAT score. Applied to Howard so far, but I'm blanketing the t-14's, Northeastern, BU and Emory as well. Hope you all have a great cycle.
-- How long did you study for the LSAT if you don't mind me asking :)
Also enjoy the $$$$ from NYU

HONESTLY the LSAT was the worst experience of my life lol. I started with a 140. What's frustrating about this exam is that it's not in anyway based on intelligence, and your score is dependent on how much money you're able to spend on it. I studied for a year, but took two courses, and hired a tutor. It's really classist and actually makes me angry to think about because it's keeping so many marginalized people out of top tiered law schools.

Best tips: give yourself lots of time. Don't write prep tests until you understand the mechanics of the exam. Don't read for knowledge, read for argument structure and invest in a 7sage course.
What do you think helped push you into the170s? I have a 168 and do you think hiring a tutor will push me to scoring 170’s?

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:49 pm

HLShopeful12345 wrote:
marryJLP92 wrote:
HLShopeful12345 wrote:super late check in, AA woman, 3 years out of college. Stats are 3.0 GPA and a 175 LSAT score. Applied to Howard so far, but I'm blanketing the t-14's, Northeastern, BU and Emory as well. Hope you all have a great cycle.

HONESTLY the LSAT was the worst experience of my life lol. I started with a 140. What's frustrating about this exam is that it's not in anyway based on intelligence, and your score is dependent on how much money you're able to spend on it. I studied for a year, but took two courses, and hired a tutor. It's really classist and actually makes me angry to think about because it's keeping so many marginalized people out of top tiered law schools.

Best tips: give yourself lots of time. Don't write prep tests until you understand the mechanics of the exam. Don't read for knowledge, read for argument structure and invest in a 7sage course.
You may be somewhat right about that. I bought one book, checked out an LR specific book from the library, and got one "set" of practice tests.
You do get study materials if you qualify for the LSAC fee waiver. But I ended up in a weird place where I am very short on income, but it's higher than most income (because I support a family of three) but I don't think cost of living in my specific situation was really considered. I feel I could have done better with access to more materials.

But I made of it what I could. I wish I could afford a re-take, but I am having trouble budgeting the $35 fee on each application I send. (I've sent 2 safe schools, and I'm waiting on a bonus to send to my goal school.) Fortunately, my family situation means that blanketing isn't as important as being competitive in the region I want to live.

I've had friends offer to spot me $$ for stuff, but I am just not comfortable with that.

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:23 pm

HLShopeful12345 wrote:
marryJLP92 wrote:

I self studied from a 155 to 174 (sept) in 6 months on just Powerscore bibles, mikes trainer book and preptests. Granted all those things are somewhat expensive too, but I just mean to say, to the people reading this still struggling with the LSAT- know that it can be done without thousands on classes or tutors :)

fulbrightinmexico

New

Post by fulbrightinmexico » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 pm

AlPastor wrote:
fulbrightinmexico wrote:Late check in but MA female, 3.9x GPA from an ivy, 169 LSAT, Fulbright living abroad currently. I'm really really hoping for Columbia. in at Duke and Cornell. good luck everyone!!!
Felicidades y buena suerte!
Just had tacos el pastor for lunch; they're incredible here. suerte con todas tus aplicaciones !

HLShopeful12345

New

Post by HLShopeful12345 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:50 pm

RSolano wrote:
HLShopeful12345 wrote:
marryJLP92 wrote:

I self studied from a 155 to 174 (sept) in 6 months on just Powerscore bibles, mikes trainer book and preptests. Granted all those things are somewhat expensive too, but I just mean to say, to the people reading this still struggling with the LSAT- know that it can be done without thousands on classes or tutors :)

For sure do-able, but for those of us who struggle with the exam (like me haha), it can sometimes feel impossible without spending the money. Also keep in mind you started 15 points higher than me. I literally had to restructure how I read/think to get my score which was gruelling, costly and time consuming.

PhilNoir

New

Post by PhilNoir » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:53 pm

HLShopeful12345 wrote:
RSolano wrote:
HLShopeful12345 wrote:
marryJLP92 wrote:

For sure do-able, but for those of us who struggle with the exam (like me haha), it can sometimes feel impossible without spending the money. Also keep in mind you started 15 points higher than me. I literally had to restructure how I read/think to get my score which was gruelling, costly and time consuming.
Two things:

(1) First, I'm not quite sure what is meant by "intelligence" here. If you mean whatever is measured by IQ tests, then I don't think that many of us would want entrance exams based on that either. At the very least, I think it would be very debatable whether an intelligence test would be a fairer substitute than the LSAT. I don't think that that's the case,but perhaps you mean something different by the term than what is often meant (i.e., some "inherent cognitive processing ability", unaffected by domain specific knowledge/education).

What I do agree with is that standardized testing is unfair if there isn't legitimate access to study resources b/c costs are prohibitive for certain sections of the testing population. And obviously this is going to have effects on race/ethnicity test disparities given the co-variance of these and SES in the US. So, I'm all on board there. Believe it or not, though, the introduction of the LSAT into law school admissions was motivated (in part) by the desire to level the playing field. But large systemic differences in power tend to adapt well to changes (and in sometimes unexpected ways) as we all know.

(2) I second 7sage. I would say do that for 6months-year and you have a real good chance of getting at least a 170.The difficulty is that you do have to do it rather consistently even if it's not for long stretches at a time. Still, getting in the 170s is very, very doable if you do those two things. I'll also say that 7sage is not nearly as much as some of the other options that people usually indulge when it comes to LSAT study. Of course, none of this matters if you don't have the extra time to consistently dedicate (which is something that could very well be at issue for many).

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:55 pm

HLShopeful12345 wrote:
RSolano wrote:
HLShopeful12345 wrote:
marryJLP92 wrote:

I see what you mean... Thank goodness both of us are done with it lollll and congrats btw! :D

goingnutslawschool

New

Post by goingnutslawschool » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:14 am

It’s nit picky but it’s tacos al pastor. I’m glad that you are enjoying them.

marryJLP92

New

Post by marryJLP92 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:55 am

What do you guys think about Manhattan for LR? and 7sage for LG? I just finished a testmasters prep. course and looking to add an additional few point to my current lsat.

:) thank you

saffles

Bronze

Post by saffles » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:51 am

marryJLP92 wrote:What do you guys think about Manhattan for LR? and 7sage for LG? I just finished a testmasters prep. course and looking to add an additional few point to my current lsat.

I think they are both excellent resources to boost your score if you're at like sub-165.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:00 pm

stjeff00 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Is anyone in NYC going to the Joint National Black and Hispanic Pre-Law Conference tomorrow?

I have been hearing about it and getting emails left and right. It seems interesting but I'm not really sure if I'd even benefit by going or if I'll be wasting my time.

Thoughts on the event?
I mentioned before that I attended last year. If you've already applied and sent in your apps I don't really see the point in attending unless you are dying to attend the law school fair and meet some more representatives.
yeah, thanks.

I decided not to go because I'm lazy and didn't feel like heading to NYU lmao

I haven't applied to most of my list yet, waiting for the December scores but tbh I don't think I would've really benefited by going either way.

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Did anyone go? If so... how was it?

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:47 pm

new poll!

Heyy_Y'all

New

Post by Heyy_Y'all » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:21 pm

marryJLP92 wrote:What do you guys think about Manhattan for LR? and 7sage for LG? I just finished a testmasters prep. course and looking to add an additional few point to my current lsat.

You should find what works best for your particular learning style. I went through spending thousands of dollars, never making any real gains because the methods didn't "click." In the end, it was a lesser-known, super-cheap prep company that did the trick. True, one could argue that perhaps, it was the culmination of "all the prep" that finally made things "click," but it wasn't. For me, it was about finally finding the teaching methods that catered to my (weird af) learning style. That said, my advice would be to start cheap, then work your way UP the ladder. Don't start HIGH like I did, shelling out thousands here, and thousands there, to, in the end, realize the $-prep service is what works for you, not the $$$$-service that everyone seemingly loves. Just my two cents. :roll:

Edit: I know this post is old, but I WISH someone had given me this advice loooooooong ago... many thousands of dollars ago. :idea:

JessClem

New

Post by JessClem » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Checking in, 3.6/175 interested in scholarships! Just got the last of my apps out

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:34 pm

Wake up guys

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:25 am

How's everyone's cycle going so far?

AaronCarter

Bronze

Post by AaronCarter » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 am

andysimbi wrote:How's everyone's cycle going so far?
Berkeley is making me sad

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Michigan hates me

PrezRand

Gold

Post by PrezRand » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:19 pm

I should have practiced more in football :(

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:27 pm

Better than expected, probably making me unrealistically optimistic for the T6

saffles

Bronze

Post by saffles » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:26 pm

Cycle? What cycle? :lol:

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:26 pm

saffles wrote:
Cycle? What cycle? :lol:

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”