URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

What type of music do you listen to when you get into a school?

Hip Hop / Rap
51%
EDM
1%
Pop / Top 40
14%
R&B
6%
Reggaeton / Bachata / Latin Trap / Dance Hall / Soca
16%
Rock
3%
Something less lit than the options above
9%

Total votes: 87

para219

New

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Post by para219 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 pm

chewinggum wrote:
saffles wrote:
andysimbi wrote:How's everyone's cycle going so far?
Cycle? What cycle? :lol:

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:47 pm

OMG! Why am I just now finding this? Day = madeeee

CT6

New

Post by CT6 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:07 am

Checking in!!!! My apps were mostly done in mid October. My first choice is UC Irvine, but I'm interested to see what happens with the other schools.

AA female
LSDAS GPA 3.5
LSAT 159 (June)
Strong softs (leadership, study abroad, etc), Unique PS, Strong recs.

No movement yet. I'm literally dying, hopelessly refreshing status checkers every free moment of my life.

Good luck to you all!

LSN: CT

dforce308

New

Post by dforce308 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Super late check in (I promise it's not because of CPT this time)! Literally stumbled upon this thread today and it looks like a Godsend!

AA male
3.18 GPA from top 25 LAC
156 LSAT the first go round. Aiming for 165 on the December LSAT
2.5 years WE working at a research center at Harvard Law and transitioning to managing a creative design studio at Harvard until next summer.
Strong softs (foreign languages, study abroad, community engagement, etc.) Rec letter from Harvard Law prof and prof from undergrad.

What's realistic in terms of school outcomes for me? T-14 is definitely the goal but looking at some T-30 schools as well.

Thank you beautiful people!

chewinggum

Bronze

Post by chewinggum » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:13 am

dforce308 wrote:Super late check in (I promise it's not because of CPT this time)! Literally stumbled upon this thread today and it looks like a Godsend!

AA male
3.18 GPA from top 25 LAC
156 LSAT the first go round. Aiming for 165 on the December LSAT
2.5 years WE working at a research center at Harvard Law and transitioning to managing a creative design studio at Harvard until next summer.
Strong softs (foreign languages, study abroad, community engagement, etc.) Rec letter from Harvard Law prof and prof from undergrad.

What's realistic in terms of school outcomes for me? T-14 is definitely the goal but looking at some T-30 schools as well.

Thank you beautiful people!
Good luck on your cycle and in Dec :)

DorkothyParker

Bronze

Post by DorkothyParker » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 pm

So, is it a fact that there will be no action at all this week due to the holiday? When I was in UG, we had classes on Thanksgiving week up until Wednesday, but by the time I was in grad, my university was closed the entire week. Is that the norm now?
Because I have to be stressed about something at all times, and I would rather not have to move on to freaking out re: my fall/winter weight gain.

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:47 pm

There is going to be some movement this week. GW will be releasing first round of decisions. Some JS1s came and trickling in for Michigan, Cornell, and Georegtown. If above both 75ths maybe NYU movement as well.

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:24 am

So I was looking through the URM cycle result forums from the last couple of years where everyone lists their acceptances, stats etc. and noticed several students each year are given scholarships at Harvard and even at Yale. I've seen this reflected on the ABA 509 reports for these schools even though TlS general thought is that top three never offer money. So they do though? Is it more common among URMs? Any info on this would be appreciated!

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:38 am

RSolano wrote:So I was looking through the URM cycle result forums from the last couple of years where everyone lists their acceptances, stats etc. and noticed several students each year are given scholarships at Harvard and even at Yale. I've seen this reflected on the ABA 509 reports for these schools even though TlS general thought is that top three never offer money. So they do though? Is it more common among URMs? Any info on this would be appreciated!
I honestly was JUST wondering about this. I've been going on the assumption/idea that HYS never give any kind of scholarships, but was scrolling through LSN today and it looks like they occasionally do.

I haven't scrolled through TLS w/r/t this, but could they be need-based in some way? (Do schools give need-based aid outside of FAFSA/government loans? I have no idea...)

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:51 am

andysimbi wrote:
RSolano wrote:So I was looking through the URM cycle result forums from the last couple of years where everyone lists their acceptances, stats etc. and noticed several students each year are given scholarships at Harvard and even at Yale. I've seen this reflected on the ABA 509 reports for these schools even though TlS general thought is that top three never offer money. So they do though? Is it more common among URMs? Any info on this would be appreciated!
I honestly was JUST wondering about this. I've been going on the assumption/idea that HYS never give any kind of scholarships, but was scrolling through LSN today and it looks like they occasionally do.

I haven't scrolled through TLS w/r/t this, but could they be need-based in some way? (Do schools give need-based aid outside of FAFSA/government loans? I have no idea...)
Someone else suggested maybe they're dual degree people or very high profile admits... But I still don't really know.

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:17 am

They definitely could be need based. They give scholarships (non-loan, merit, fafsa) to students who have little to no way of contributing financially (esp if under 26) and one or neither parents is financially sound or around to make contributions, such as the non-custodial parent process.
Last edited by soca_dancer on Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm

soca_dancer wrote:There is going to be some movement this week. GW will be releasing first round of decisions. Some JS1s came and trickling in for Michigan, Cornell, and Georegtown. If above both 75ths maybe NYU movement as well.
There has been NYU movement for folks below 25th as well I believe. This is the time the wait begins to get unbearable...
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:47 pm

zkyggi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:There is going to be some movement this week. GW will be releasing first round of decisions. Some JS1s came and trickling in for Michigan, Cornell, and Georegtown. If above both 75ths maybe NYU movement as well.
There has been NYU movement for folks below 25th as well I believe. This is the time the wait begins to get unbearable...
Lol don't tell me that...the only reason I'm keeping my patience about NYU

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:51 pm

soca_dancer wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
If I don't hear from NYU in the next 3 weeks I'll become a wreck, no doubt.,

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:53 pm

zkyggi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
Haha I told myself I'll give it to the second week of January. I'm trying to give it time :shock: trying being the word of choice lol

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:56 pm

soca_dancer wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
soca_dancer wrote:
zkyggi wrote:
Haha I told myself I'll give it to the second week of January. I'm trying to give it time :shock: trying being the word of choice lol
It is crazy how getting into schools did pretty much nothing for my worries. They just shifted to other schools as if nothing had happened.

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:59 pm

haha exactly, its like I just want to get into any school... then I just want to get into top 14... now its I just want T6

principalagent

Silver

Post by principalagent » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 pm

soca_dancer wrote:haha exactly, its like I just want to get into any school... then I just want to get into top 14... now its I just want T6
I definitely feel this. My cycle is going crazy well so far and I’m trying to temper my expectations for the T6. I would be more than happy to be at the schools I have acceptances from, but now there’s a shiny prize at the top that seems so much more attainable now

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Right, and then you start to get hopeful and impatient all at the same time

andysimbi

Bronze

Post by andysimbi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 pm

Even hitting the T6 doesn't help anything, since there's still that elusive YSH level and scholarships to think about. :shock:

para219

New

Post by para219 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:28 am

Happy for yall but can't relate. Looking for my first acceptance period. Would deposit at a T14 with scholarship immediately. :lol: 8)

para219

New

Post by para219 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:43 am

I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

You can defend the Illinois profile. Can you defend all of us?

Honestly, and no disrespect, I think it's time to separate MA/PR and AA/NA cycles.

I support yall but we simply do not have the same results. MAs/PRs/Latinos constantly need higher numbers and earlier applications to achieve the same results. That's a fact. AAs get admitted to schools with worst numbers than Latinos as well as all other populations and that's a fact.

This talk about "fiendin" for T6 scholarships by all of you in this thread is disrespectful. That's not our reality. Latinos need to stand up and pool information. AAs and NAs are not helpful to us.

Let's separate.

anacabana

New

Post by anacabana » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:18 am

para219 wrote:I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

Honestly, and no disrespect, I think it's time to separate MA/PR and AA/NA cycles.

I support yall but we simply do not have the same results. MAs/PRs/Latinos constantly need higher numbers and earlier applications to achieve the same results. That's a fact. AAs get admitted to schools with worst numbers than Latinos as well as all other populations and that's a fact.

This talk about "fiendin" for T6 scholarships by all of you in this thread is disrespectful. That's not our reality. Latinos need to stand up and pool information. AAs and NAs are not helpful to us.

Let's separate.
If you think there should be a separate thread that's fine, but you sound super bitter and aggressive and that's not cool.

para219

New

Post by para219 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:28 am

anacabana wrote:
para219 wrote:I think we should also cater to URMs (MAs, PRs) with average numbers that may not be auto-admits. ESPECIALLY since a bunch of yall were crying about folks critiquing that LSN profile that chose to go to Illinois.

Let's separate.
If you think there should be a separate thread that's fine, but you sound super bitter and aggressive and that's not cool.
Please explain to me how I'm "super bitter and aggressive" for you? Do you have any objective evidence?

para219

New

Post by para219 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:30 am

para219 wrote:
anacabana wrote:

Let's separate.
Please explain to me how I'm "super bitter and aggressive" for you? Do you have any objective evidence?
Have you even read the thread and do you have context? Obviously not.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”