URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."

What type of music do you listen to when you get into a school?

Hip Hop / Rap
51%
EDM
1%
Pop / Top 40
14%
R&B
6%
Reggaeton / Bachata / Latin Trap / Dance Hall / Soca
16%
Rock
3%
Something less lit than the options above
9%

Total votes: 87

Mikey

Platinum

Re: URM 2017-2018 Cycle Thread

Post by Mikey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:26 pm

hotdog96 wrote:Is there any truth to the statement that URMs typically have to wait longer for decisions? I remember reading this somewhere, just want to see some opinions on the topic.
I have never heard of that before

hotdog96

New

Post by hotdog96 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Mikey wrote:
hotdog96 wrote:Is there any truth to the statement that URMs typically have to wait longer for decisions? I remember reading this somewhere, just want to see some opinions on the topic.
It was mentioned in the URM Guide to Admissions that is pinned in this forum, however, it is a bit outdated. But good to know, maybe its not all that relevant or true (hopefully)!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:43 pm

hotdog96 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
It was mentioned in the URM Guide to Admissions that is pinned in this forum, however, it is a bit outdated. But good to know, maybe its not all that relevant or true (hopefully)!
Idk, I mean I've seen URMs get decisions around the same time as non-URMs. Maybe for some URMs they have to wait depending on their stats and the school though.

RSolano

Bronze

Post by RSolano » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:01 pm

I've never heard that. All I've read regarding timing is that stronger applicants will generally be accepted sooner (assuming no YP) if they're in the presumptive admit pile rather than the maybe or presumptive deny piles

highLSATurm

New

Post by highLSATurm » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:40 pm

checking in. going to be active and not just stalk TLS this cycle. [i posted this in my 7 favorite threads. can i do that?]
not sure how this works but here goes:
GPA: 3.6 [blah state school. easy major - Psychology]
LSAC GPA: 3.56
LSAT take one 163: [sat for it cold, no prep. so essentially a "diagnostic" only not ... because it was the actual LSAT]
LSAT take two 178: [almost cancelled]
URM: AfAm Female
softs: somewhere between nonexistent and unimpressive

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:14 am

highLSATurm wrote:checking in. going to be active and not just stalk TLS this cycle. [i posted this in my 7 favorite threads. can i do that?]
LSAT take one 163: [sat for it cold, no prep. so essentially a "diagnostic" only not ... because it was the actual LSAT]

I've heard New Haven is nice in the fall

jimmyplayer601

Bronze

Post by jimmyplayer601 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:00 am

usaorbust wrote:
highLSATurm wrote:checking in. going to be active and not just stalk TLS this cycle. [i posted this in my 7 favorite threads. can i do that?]

Lsac gpa maybe to low for yale TBH, HYS have hard GPA floors even for URMS, but even so, expect at the very least a full ride to Columbia with that combo, and you’ll deff get at least one of HYS

highLSATurm

New

Post by highLSATurm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:18 am

jimmyplayer601 wrote:
usaorbust wrote:

Lsac gpa maybe to low for yale TBH, HYS have hard GPA floors even for URMS, but even so, expect at the very least a full ride to Columbia with that combo, and you’ll deff get at least one of HYS
Good info. Thanks.

I wonder if it’s terribly disadvantageous to apply around Jan. as opposed to now? Besides the obvious “sooner = better”, with all the Dec test takers applying then, how worse off would i be?

[not waiting just to wait; juggling some other intense stuff.]

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 am

For this Black & Latino Law School Forum in NYC on Saturday...do people actually dress up? Looking at a photo today...I get the impression people dress up.

soca_dancer

Bronze

Post by soca_dancer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 am

highLSATurm wrote:
jimmyplayer601 wrote:
usaorbust wrote:

Good info. Thanks.

I wonder if it’s terribly disadvantageous to apply around Jan. as opposed to now? Besides the obvious “sooner = better”, with all the Dec test takers applying then, how worse off would i be?

Apply EARLY! Just get those applications in, especially if you want HYS.

usaorbust

Bronze

Post by usaorbust » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:58 am

soca_dancer wrote:
highLSATurm wrote:
jimmyplayer601 wrote:
usaorbust wrote:

Good info. Thanks.

Apply EARLY! Just get those applications in, especially if you want HYS.
Timing wont matter for Y. An early app is good but if you have a lot of intense things going on applying in Dec. or Jan. wont be a deal breaker with your LSAT. You also dont have to apply to all the schools at once. you can prioritize your favorite programs or more selective programs and roll them out incrementally so apps dont consume your life, and that way you may still get some early apps out.

highLSATurm

New

Post by highLSATurm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:38 am

usaorbust soca_dancer : THANKS !!

Kiskeya

New

Post by Kiskeya » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:04 pm

greatspirit wrote:For this Black & Latino Law School Forum in NYC on Saturday...do people actually dress up? Looking at a photo today...I get the impression people dress up.
Yeah from the photos it definitely looks like people dress up for it. I'm planning on wearing professional clothes (dress and heels)

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:44 pm

Kiskeya wrote:
greatspirit wrote:For this Black & Latino Law School Forum in NYC on Saturday...do people actually dress up? Looking at a photo today...I get the impression people dress up.
Yeah from the photos it definitely looks like people dress up for it. I'm planning on wearing professional clothes (dress and heels)

Ugh...will it be really bad if I just show up and jeans and a button down? After years of finance-info sessions showing up in suits and business casual, to have those networking efforts mean...nothing, I find the whole dress up thing to be kind of try-hard.

Kiskeya

New

Post by Kiskeya » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:12 pm

greatspirit wrote:
Kiskeya wrote:

Ugh...will it be really bad if I just show up and jeans and a button down? After years of finance-info sessions showing up in suits and business casual, to have those networking efforts mean...nothing, I find the whole dress up thing to be kind of try-hard.

I would say only if they're black jeans. Blue'regular denim pants might stick out like a sore thumb (again based only the photos i've seen)

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:29 pm

Kiskeya wrote:
greatspirit wrote:
Kiskeya wrote:

I would say only if they're black jeans. Blue'regular denim pants might stick out like a sore thumb (again based only the photos i've seen)
Yeah fair enough. I should stop being a stickler and just show up dressed nicely.

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 pm

hi help so im struggling with literally one sentence from my ds - does anyone wanna look at my intro paragraph and help me figure out a better way to phrase this sentence in as few words as possible. everything reads smoothly except for this sentence ugh.

HLShopeful12345

New

Post by HLShopeful12345 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:21 pm

super late check in, AA woman, 3 years out of college. Stats are 3.0 GPA and a 175 LSAT score. Applied to Howard so far, but I'm blanketing the t-14's, Northeastern, BU and Emory as well. Hope you all have a great cycle.

marryJLP92

New

Post by marryJLP92 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:48 pm

HLShopeful12345 wrote:super late check in, AA woman, 3 years out of college. Stats are 3.0 GPA and a 175 LSAT score. Applied to Howard so far, but I'm blanketing the t-14's, Northeastern, BU and Emory as well. Hope you all have a great cycle.
-- How long did you study for the LSAT if you don't mind me asking :)
Also enjoy the $$$$ from NYU

HLShopeful12345

New

Post by HLShopeful12345 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am

marryJLP92 wrote:
HLShopeful12345 wrote:super late check in, AA woman, 3 years out of college. Stats are 3.0 GPA and a 175 LSAT score. Applied to Howard so far, but I'm blanketing the t-14's, Northeastern, BU and Emory as well. Hope you all have a great cycle.
-- How long did you study for the LSAT if you don't mind me asking :)
Also enjoy the $$$$ from NYU

HONESTLY the LSAT was the worst experience of my life lol. I started with a 140. What's frustrating about this exam is that it's not in anyway based on intelligence, and your score is dependent on how much money you're able to spend on it. I studied for a year, but took two courses, and hired a tutor. It's really classist and actually makes me angry to think about because it's keeping so many marginalized people out of top tiered law schools.

Best tips: give yourself lots of time. Don't write prep tests until you understand the mechanics of the exam. Don't read for knowledge, read for argument structure and invest in a 7sage course.

HLShopeful12345

New

Post by HLShopeful12345 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am

Is anyone on this thread applying to Howard? I know I can get into better ranked schools, but my undergrad was traumatizing enough with racists professors and students, that I'd really like to be in an environment with a higher number of minorities...especially considering everything I've heard about how law school affects your mental health.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:45 am

Is anyone in NYC going to the Joint National Black and Hispanic Pre-Law Conference tomorrow?

I have been hearing about it and getting emails left and right. It seems interesting but I'm not really sure if I'd even benefit by going or if I'll be wasting my time.

Thoughts on the event?

AlPastor

Bronze

Post by AlPastor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:53 pm

I was also considering going but it seems that it'll be most (only?) useful for people who haven't finished/submitted their apps. Might have gone anyway if train tickets to NYC weren't so pricey this weekend!

Silver

Post by AvatarMeelo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:05 pm

[redacted]
Last edited by AvatarMeelo on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stjeff00

New

Post by stjeff00 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:11 pm

Mikey wrote:Is anyone in NYC going to the Joint National Black and Hispanic Pre-Law Conference tomorrow?

I have been hearing about it and getting emails left and right. It seems interesting but I'm not really sure if I'd even benefit by going or if I'll be wasting my time.

Thoughts on the event?
I mentioned before that I attended last year. If you've already applied and sent in your apps I don't really see the point in attending unless you are dying to attend the law school fair and meet some more representatives.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”