Gay Mexican-American, 2.9 GPA, 168 LSAT (CA) Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
UCLAcal

New

Gay Mexican-American, 2.9 GPA, 168 LSAT (CA)

Post by UCLAcal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:37 pm

Hello,

Just got my LSAT score. I scored a 168.

I am from South Central Los Angeles. I grew up poor. I am Mexican-American. Will I have a shot to get into UCLA law or UC Berkeley Law? What about any T-14's?

I want to stay in California since all my family lives here. I would like to go to an T14 in the east coast if I am able to get a good scholarship.

What do you think are my odds for the following schools?

Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Hastings

What about any T-14's?

Thank you!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: Gay Mexican-American, 2.9, 168 LSAT (CA)

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:39 pm

mylsn.info

other than that, 0 shot at Stanford with the GPA and likely out of Berkeley as well (these would be 100% confident if you weren't URM - but even with that, I don't think you've got much of a shot there).

Use mylsn for the others

sfn91

Bronze

Re: Gay Mexican-American, 2.9 GPA, 168 LSAT (CA)

Post by sfn91 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Speaking from experience (similar demographic, much better GPA, slightly lower LSAT) you should apply broadly. Berkeley and Stanford are two of the schools that love GPA, so it's unlikely you'll get into either. Are there extenuating circumstances for the low GPA?

I can see USC admitting you and they're generous with scholarships, and maybe UCLA. You're in at the other schools you listed too, but you really need to explain why you have a 2.9.

And you should apply to NYU's AnBryce program if you're looking for a big scholarship.

UCLAcal

New

Post by UCLAcal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:48 pm

sfn91 wrote:Speaking from experience (similar demographic, much better GPA, slightly lower LSAT) you should apply broadly. Berkeley and Stanford are two of the schools that love GPA, so it's unlikely you'll get into either. Are there extenuating circumstances for the low GPA?

I can see USC admitting you and they're generous with scholarships, and maybe UCLA. You're in at the other schools you listed too, but you really need to explain why you have a 2.9.

And you should apply to NYU's AnBryce program if you're looking for a big scholarship.

I am not sure why I have such a low GPA.

I did have a lot of issues at home where my family kept getting evicted and my brother was sent to prison. Another older sister was diagnosed with Diabetes.

But Maybe I was just a bad student.

I felt like I really tried in all my classes.

I think being in a college that my high school did not prepare me academically for was a big factor. But I know others who did really well at UCLA despite similar backgrounds.

Maybe it was my major. I studied political science. I thought I would really like it but then I realized when it was too late that I was getting better grades in Chicano Studies and History. If I could do my undergrad again, I would totally do History or Chicano Studies.

I think I was immature too. If I went to college now at the age of 26, I think I would do much better in school. I would speak up more in discussion. I would go to office hours.

In the end, there is a lot of regrets and What If's and now I am just trying to make the best of what I have.

UCLAcal

New

Re: Gay Mexican-American, 2.9, 168 LSAT (CA)

Post by UCLAcal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:mylsn.info

other than that, 0 shot at Stanford with the GPA and likely out of Berkeley as well (these would be 100% confident if you weren't URM - but even with that, I don't think you've got much of a shot there).

Use mylsn for the others
myLSN shows that I will probably get into all school except T-14. Chances at UCLA USC are slim though.

Jmart082

Bronze

Post by Jmart082 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Stanford, Berkeley and UCLA are all such long shots with these stats, that I'd go as far as to rule them out. USC is more of a toss-up, but I'm inclined to say no there, too. The rest are doable, and I'd throw in an application to Pepperdine too. It never hurts to leverage as many acceptances as possible.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”