Working at a Biglaw office with little diversity... Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
AnonUser777

New

Working at a Biglaw office with little diversity...

Post by AnonUser777 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:24 am

I start work at a Vault 100 firm for the second half of my 1L summer in a few weeks (currently at the District Court) and of the forty-three lawyers in the office, only four are minorities. Of those four only one is at the associate level. Also, of those four, not a single one is the same URM as me (AA Male.) How have other people dealt with working at a firm with minimal diversity? Was it ever brought up, does it give you a better chance of getting an offer to return, etc...?

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Working at a Biglaw office with little diversity...

Post by runinthefront » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:30 am

All of them have minimal diversity. You deal with it. Even if you don't have anyone at the firm who you can vent to when an old partner says something non-PC, you could always reach out to your close friend/mentors who have worked at other firms. Or your friends from blsa
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:34 am

As a senior associate on the Diversity Committee at a V50 firm, I recommend that you focus on doing good work as a summer and things likely will work out for you. You really cannot control how diverse your office is, so focusing on it is not constructive. If, however, you face some unique diversity issue to your situation, then come back to this thread.

TripleM

Bronze

Post by TripleM » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:30 pm

AnonUser777 wrote:I start work at a Vault 100 firm for the second half of my 1L summer in a few weeks (currently at the District Court) and of the forty-three lawyers in the office, only four are minorities. Of those four only one is at the associate level. Also, of those four, not a single one is the same URM as me (AA Male.) How have other people dealt with working at a firm with minimal diversity? Was it ever brought up, does it give you a better chance of getting an offer to return, etc...?
That's nearly 10% URM, which I'd wager is better than average. I'd focus on kicking butt, getting a job there and then spend a career mentoring aspiring URMs.
On a more practical note, see if there is a regional/city AA bar association of some kind. If so, reach out to their leadership and ask if you can get together with them.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:37 pm

TripleM wrote:
AnonUser777 wrote:I start work at a Vault 100 firm for the second half of my 1L summer in a few weeks (currently at the District Court) and of the forty-three lawyers in the office, only four are minorities. Of those four only one is at the associate level. Also, of those four, not a single one is the same URM as me (AA Male.) How have other people dealt with working at a firm with minimal diversity? Was it ever brought up, does it give you a better chance of getting an offer to return, etc...?
That's nearly 10% URM, which I'd wager is better than average. I'd focus on kicking butt, getting a job there and then spend a career mentoring aspiring URMs.
On a more practical note, see if there is a regional/city AA bar association of some kind. If so, reach out to their leadership and ask if you can get together with them.
AA male in big law in LA. Diversity (especially as an AA male) is hard to find. Most firms have groups that bind us together. But many firms are doing all that they can to hire more diverse associates due to pressures from clients to hit certain diversity metrics.

AnonUser777

New

Post by AnonUser777 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:19 am

TripleM wrote:
There definitely is a BLA in my city that I attend events with and receive great mentoring from regularly. I'm really committed to passing these opportunities along to other minorities coming into the market.

Thank you!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”