K-JD chances? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
PresidentIJohnson

New

K-JD chances?

Post by PresidentIJohnson » Sun May 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello,

Long time lurker here trying to get an idea of how much being a K-JD would hurt my chances when applying to law schools this upcoming cycle.

AA Male
LSAT: 171
GPA: 3.52 LSAC GPA (Split between CC and University GPA). 4 W's (non-punitive) in various courses.
School: University of Houston; double major in Political Science and History.
Softs: Average at best. 5 Internships (3 Congressional, 2 Non-Profit); plenty of volunteer hours with local organizations; various club memberships on campus, Vice President of 1. Somewhat interesting background socially and economically, but nothing crazy. Strong LOR's, etc.

Really looking into Columbia as a first choice. Obviously going to blanket the T-14, but Columbia is the goal. I know no one can give me a concrete answer, I'm just looking to see if it's worth it or not to apply this cycle or wait.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Re: K-JD chances?

Post by Mr_Chukes » Mon May 22, 2017 8:58 am

Just try and apply. A lot a few people got into Columbia last year with a lower LSAT than you. Just make sure your personal statement is good and apply early.

SamuelJ.H

New

Post by SamuelJ.H » Mon May 22, 2017 11:00 am

PresidentIJohnson wrote:Hello,

Long time lurker here trying to get an idea of how much being a K-JD would hurt my chances when applying to law schools this upcoming cycle.

AA Male
GPA: 3.52 LSAC GPA (Split between CC and University GPA). 4 W's (non-punitive) in various courses.
Softs: Average at best. 5 Internships (3 Congressional, 2 Non-Profit); plenty of volunteer hours with local organizations; various club memberships on campus, Vice President of 1. Somewhat interesting background socially and economically, but nothing crazy. Strong LOR's, etc.

Really looking into Columbia as a first choice. Obviously going to blanket the T-14, but Columbia is the goal. I know no one can give me a concrete answer, I'm just looking to see if it's worth it or not to apply this cycle or wait.

----- Why not Harvard?
3.52 and a 171, AA-URM with strong LOR's...i'd say 70% chance you get into H..lock at Columbia and NYU...does anyone disagree on this matter?

PresidentIJohnson

New

Post by PresidentIJohnson » Mon May 22, 2017 2:59 pm

SamuelJ.H wrote:
PresidentIJohnson wrote:Hello,

AA Male

----- Why not Harvard?
3.52 and a 171, AA-URM with strong LOR's...i'd say 70% chance you get into H..lock at Columbia and NYU...does anyone disagree on this matter?
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go to Harvard...I just have personal reasons for Columbia. My wife's Doctoral program being at Columbia is one in particular.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm

Apply to Columbia and NYU. NYU tends to give a lot of money to URMs with killer stats and there is not a huge employment difference between the two. Also use the two schools to negotiate for more aid. Apply the first day that applications open with a flawless personal statement, a why essay noting why you would like to go to those schools (and be in NYC), and write a strong diversity essay. If you do all of that, you should get into both unless they yield pend you. Your gpa is on the low end but you'd have a reasonable chance at least one (maybe all) of HYS and you'd definitely be competitive for a t-14 full ride. Good luck.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Wed May 24, 2017 9:10 am

With the exception of the LSAT score, which I don't have yet (171.8 is my 10-PT average), we have almost the exact same stats down to the GPA and CC record. I'm hoping for H.

I saw you in the June LSAT thread, do you have a 171 in hand or are you predicting it? I would wait to chance until it is set in stone.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

PresidentIJohnson

New

Post by PresidentIJohnson » Wed May 24, 2017 1:50 pm

zkyggi wrote:With the exception of the LSAT score, which I don't have yet (171.8 is my 10-PT average), we have almost the exact same stats down to the GPA and CC record. I'm hoping for H.

I saw you in the June LSAT thread, do you have a 171 in hand or are you predicting it? I would wait to chance until it is set in stone.
I hope you get in and enjoy H!

I was in the June LSAT group because I thought my PT's were going pretty bad and I was going to extend out my study period to June. I was originally registered for the Feb. one, however, so when the time came to take the Feb. test I decided to go for it and I scored surprisingly well. Then I forgot about the forum for a while because of school and other commitments.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”