AA URM 4.0 GPA - HYS? Forum

Share experiences and seek insight regarding your experience as an underrepresented minority within the legal community.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are sharing sensitive information about bar exam prep. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned."
MovingUnits

New

AA URM 4.0 GPA - HYS?

Post by MovingUnits » Fri May 19, 2017 8:47 pm

Hello all,

I'm an AA URM with a 4.0 LSAC gpa.

Average softs. 2 years work experience.

What LSAT would I need to make me competitive for H? For a place like Cornell at the bottom of the T14?

I've heard everything from 160 on up. Looking to get some more accurate info on it.

TYIA

zkyggi

Bronze

Re: AA URM 4.0 GPA - HYS?

Post by zkyggi » Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 pm

The highest you can get.

A prior post of yours has you at a 154 right now. You shouldn't be trying to chance yourself right now. You are AA with a 4.0, so you already know what you need to be doing.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Sat May 20, 2017 12:09 am

zkyggi wrote:The highest you can get.

A prior post of yours has you at a 154 right now. You shouldn't be trying to chance yourself right now. You are AA with a 4.0, so you already know what you need to be doing.
Yes, correct, diagnostic was a 154.

I'm still curious what LSAT score would make me competitive. The ranges vary wildly on here and LSNs.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat May 20, 2017 12:21 am

There are so many old URM threads where AA students with 4.0s ask similar questions. Why not search those? MyLsn.info also has a good predictor.

But yes, you'll likely be let into at least one of the t13 with a 158+, and with a 160+ youll get some real good money from some of them. A 165+ will likely net you H. Good luck.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Sat May 20, 2017 12:29 am

runinthefront wrote:There are so many old URM threads where AA students with 4.0s ask similar questions. Why not search those? MyLsn.info also has a good predictor.

But yes, you'll likely be let into at least one of the t13 with a 158+, and with a 160+ youll get some real good money from some of them. A 165+ will likely net you H. Good luck.

Thank you.

I actually did search numerous threads on here with other URMs w/ similar GPAs, and I read answers ranging from needing a 168 to get H to as low as a 160. Also, MyLSN data for AA URMS with 4.0s applying to H is so small it wasn't very helpful.

In any case, appreciate the info.

zkyggi

Bronze

Post by zkyggi » Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

MovingUnits wrote:
runinthefront wrote:There are so many old URM threads where AA students with 4.0s ask similar questions. Why not search those? MyLsn.info also has a good predictor.

Thank you.

I actually did search numerous threads on here with other URMs w/ similar GPAs, and I read answers ranging from needing a 168 to get H to as low as a 160. Also, MyLSN data for AA URMS with 4.0s applying to H is so small it wasn't very helpful.

If you're looking for HYS I'm not sure why you would be asking for a minimum with a 4.0 GPA. Get a 170 and you're looking at full rides at T14 schools, which may be q better outcome depending on your goals. Don't waste a 4.0 with a low LSAT.
Last edited by zkyggi on Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Sat May 20, 2017 1:34 am

MovingUnits wrote:

Thank you.

3.7x/165 URMs got JS1s at H this year.

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Sat May 20, 2017 1:54 am

zkyggi wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:

Thank you.

If you're looking for HYS I'm not sure why you would be asking for a minimum with a 4.0 GPA. Get a 170 and you're looking at full rides at T14 schools, which may be q better outcome depending on your goals. Don't waste a 4.0 with a low LSAT.
I hear you, man. Not looking for minimums though. I've never been one to do the bare minimum.

I was just genuinely curious about what LSAT would make someone with my GPA competitive. I knew AA URMs got a boost, but I always figured one would need at least a 165 for H, but I was wrong according to LSN and TLS. Interesting...

Anyways, I worked fairly hard for my GPA and don't intend on wasting it.

Thanks again for the info

MovingUnits

New

Post by MovingUnits » Sat May 20, 2017 1:56 am

Future Ex-Engineer wrote:
MovingUnits wrote:

Thank you.

3.7x/165 URMs got JS1s at H this year.
Oh wow. That makes me confident if I can crack a 170 I should have a very good chance. My softs aren't that great, but it's a numbers game at the end of the day so hopefully it won't hurt me too much.

Thanks!

Drea

New

Post by Drea » Mon May 22, 2017 1:09 pm

If you, for example, pair your 4.0 with a 170, I'd say you have a pretty good chance anywhere. But even if you don't get a 170+, that doesn't preclude you from having a shot; it just means other aspects of your app have to be very compelling. That matters more than a lot of people on these forums think, imo. I didn't have anything near a 170 or a 4.0. But when I thought about my app as a whole--my PS, recommendations, internships, grade trajectory, academic honors, research, publications, undergrad institution--it didn't seem so impossible. And it wasn't. There are so many factors at play when it comes to these things, but most aren't out of your control. Do your best and aim as high as you can on your LSAT. If it goes well, great. If not, do some serious research and read as much as you can from various sources on how to strengthen your app and apply anyway.

And for what it's worth, if I had to give a number, the lowest I've seen in my own research for an AA at H is a 158/3.7 (waitlist to acceptance).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Underrepresented Law Students”